• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

F150 Platinum FX4

Started by sholxgt, April 12, 2019, 08:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sholxgt

Thanks for the recommendations.

For the simplicity of tracking, I think I will do changes at 1k, 5k, and then every 5k thereafter.  That way I always know to change on the 5's and 10's.

Unless I come up with a better plan, I will use a Motorcraft filter and Mobil1 EP 5w30.  I know there are better oils and maybe better filters, but those are easy to purchase, relatively inexpensive, and definitely aren't the worst choice.  Lincoln was doing well with that combo.

Catch can is on my buy NOW list.  I will order one along with the tunes from Five Star.  I'm thinking a drop in panel filter, tunes, and the catch can for performance type mods.  CAI's, exhaust mods, etc don't seem to have enough payoff on the F150 platform to be worth the expense.  At least they don't seem to in my limited research.

Waiting for the Bilstein 5100's to come back in stock.  Pretty sure those will be an addition as soon as they are available.

Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

sholxgt

Removed the FX4 stickers...

Installed rear wheel well liners...

Removed the "Ecoboost" badge...

Just small things to make it a bit less tacky and a bit more finished looking in my mind.
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

Looks much better :D  Definitely EP over regular :)

Intercoolers pay off on the F150 platform, as do fuel pump upgrades.  Those are the 2 biggest ones I have seen.  Then intakes - yes they do make a difference, compared to the transverse platform.  Downpipes and exhaust, not sure -have not tracked that as much.  Also, the exhaust manifolds on some years are prone to cracking (?) and there are performance aftermarket replacements.  Dunno what the status is on the design to date.   The transverse platform uses 2 layer manifolds, but the longitudinal platform uses solid single layer ones, IIRC.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/5001010-2011-2012-F150-3-5L-EcoBoost-CRP-Full-Bore-Ported-Exhaust-Manifolds.html
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shoNoff

Looks much better. Only question is how are you going to make up the 200hp loss?
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

sholxgt

Quote from: shoNoff on April 13, 2019, 02:34:51 PM
Looks much better. Only question is how are you going to make up the 200hp loss?

200hp loss from the EB de-badge and it will now get stuck in a dirt parking lot with the FX4 de-badge.  I've ruined my truck!!!  :)

sholxgt

Here's the current choices for oil at my local Walmart....

I didn't know this one exists so I don't know anything about it.  No mentions of GDI...

This one mentions GDI and is what our 200k mile Honda has used most of it's life.  Makes me trust it. Perfect oil analysis the times I checked it...

Mentions GDI and I know is a favorite of many.  We run the Euro spec version in our VW...

I was surprised to not see GDI mentioned on this bottle, but it's what I was running in the Licoln...

Any opinion about ruling out one of these or think any one of these stands out as better than the rest?  I picked the Castrol Titanium for our Honda back in 2008 because, at the time, it was a PAO based oil.  Not sure if that is true now.  I run Mobil 1 in my fox body Mustang just because they make a 15w50 and it's been habit for decades.

My buddies that still race have mostly switched to Driven oil.  I'm open to that idea if it's truly worth the expense.

So many choices.  LOL.  I'd like to pick one that will be around a while so I don't have to revisit the subject.  Keep in mind I will do 5k changes regardless of oil selected so I don't think it's worth the $$$ for a super crazy boutique oil.  I prefer oil changes over boutique oil and long intervals.

SHOdded

I like Castrol and Pennzoil the best TBH.  The Mobil1 EP is also a fine product, but 3rd on my list.  ANY of these should do for your 5K OCI.  The Shell product is the youngest of the bunch, so I have not formed a personal opinion about it.

If it carries the SN+ label on the back - the API donut - that should be the starting point, really.  You have done well with your oil selections, obviously, and I can tell you this:  the quality of oil has increased substantially with each round of API standards.  Hard to go wrong, but I like Castrol and Pennzoil the best (Edge and Ultra Platinum my fav).

Driven oil is quite good, lot of Moly and mPAO based (nextgen PAO).  But expensive, at least $10 a quart on sale LOL.  If you are racing, I can see a reason to use it - high moly/zinc/phosphorus (400, 1100, 1100 approx respectively).  Detergent is about 1800 ppm, mostly calcium. I would speak with them about LSPI and reformulation tho.  They are very helpful, although they may have to call you back.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Man, I really appreciate your knowledge SHOdded!

Driven it is!  I made a call to a racing buddy and he can get me Driven.  They make a DI30 that is formulated specifically for the direct injected Ecoboost and GM supercharged LS/LT/Lwhatever motors.

Next question.  He recommended Wix or Nappa Gold filter.  I've heard nothing but good things about those for years.  Should I go with that or stick with the safe Motorcraft option?

With my DIY ways, I don't mind spending the money for the best.  Will still be cheap enough.  Plus, I want this thing to last and may, possibly, decide to lean on it heavily in the future.  I have a stock short block 5.0 fox body in the garage that put 532 to the rollers so I've been knows to lean on stuff once I'm comfortable with a complete engine replacement if needed.  Heck, I just bought a turbo kit and tons of parts for our little Honda.  I'm about to turn it up to 11 with almost 200k on the clock.  Probably demented, but I know it will hold.

SHOdded

I know you like tackling the twisties, so Driven may be a good fit :)

The Motorcraft filter works well, but since you are amping up the oil, I would try the purolator BOSS.  The filters you mentioned  are good also, but the BOSS is better.

Honda engines do seem built for high power :) wish you well! Me, I like blueprinting before attempting such a feat LOL.

sholxgt

BOSS filter ordered :)

I will call a few shops tomorrow to see how far deep I dig into the mod list on this first go around.  I'm not opposed to intercooler, fuel pump, intake, downpipe, etc mods if they make sense.

Might also separate this into a stage one and stage two event since I still need to buy a bed cover and probably a Bilstein 5100 kit for the suspension.  Don't want to break the bank, but also don't want to short change myself on the experience of what this truck is capable of doing.

SHOdded

Definitely stage 1, 2, 3 ...  Continue with non powertrain mods first while you get used to the stock behavior of the truck and sort out any potential warranty issues (fingers crossed :) ).  THEN go with powertrain mods.  For me, it was always ground up.  Wheels/tires, brakes, suspension first.  Then powertrain.

sholxgt

Took some pics of it.  Still have to do an initial full detail, but the silver does a good job of hiding dirt.

sholxgt

Ordered a Raptor steering wheel and a custom wiring harness (to add paddle shifters) and OBD adapter so I can play with Forscan.

Also think I've come up with a game plan for the chrome bits.  Going to try black Plasti-dip on the emblems, tow hooks, mirror caps, and door handles.  I did that on some of the Lincoln bits and they still looked perfect almost 3 years later.  Key, just like paint, is in the prep.  Worst case is I don't like it and peel it off later.  My hope is that black accent pieces instead of chrome with make it a bit more sporty/tough and less luxury/girly.  At least that's my hope.

One strange thing I've noticed is that this sync 3 is not as fast as my Lincoln's sync 2.  Everyone complained about sync 2, but I had zero issues with it once updated and it was faster.  Hoping this system improves with updating.  I have it connected to my house wi-fi for auto updates.

SHOdded

Yeah, for some reason, wifi is still a boondoggle with Sync3.  Many things are improved over Sync2, but ...

shoNoff

Weird I feel the total opposite. My mother, father, sister and aunt all have sync 3. I get into their cars and I feel like sync 2 is from the 90's.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile