• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

F150 Platinum FX4

Started by sholxgt, April 12, 2019, 08:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sholxgt

A sad thing happened to my MKS.  It met a dear at 50mph.  I'm glad that Lincoln uses good windshields because it tried it's best to come in...

Got it back from the body shop last Friday.  Car shopped over the weekend and I'm now the proud owner of this...

I'm enjoying it so far.  Kind of miss the car style driving experience, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the truck abilities when it comes time to haul or tow.  After a TON of deliberation, I went with the 3.5EB again.  The new 5.0 sounds awesome and performs great, but people are just having way, way too many piston slap/tick/cylinder wall scuffing issues with the new Coyote and I don't want to be a part of that.  Strange world when you pick the v6 turbo over a v8 for reliability reasons.

Only "mod" so far was to get the bed taken care of...

I ordered the OEM rear wheel well liners and should have them today.  Also ordered a wiring kit to install a Raptor steering wheel with paddle shifters.  Oh, and I hooked up my SCT x4 to pull the strategy code of course :)  Thinking of trying Five Star for tuning to start, but curious to see what suggestions others have?  Only other thing on my "order now" list is an oil separator. 

What other things should I add to the "buy now" list?
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

Glad the MKS did its' job and that you are ok!!!

Nice new ride :D  Lots of benefits to having a truck these days.  They ride almost like cars, they can haul, travel over rough country, and can haul a** when tuned.  Many miles of smiles lie ahead!!!

Watch for fuel dilution issues, change oil early the first few times around.  Lab analysis of results I would say are almost compulsory given how "new" this engine is in the Ford stable.  Hopefully will fare better than the DI version of the 5.0.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Oh, I have the OEM downpipes from my Lincoln for sale if someone local needs a set.  They were pulled off the Lincoln at 28k miles.  I was lazy and traded it in with the PPE DP's still installed.  Same with the thermostat and K&N.

Edited to add - I live in North GA
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

sholxgt

Quote from: SHOdded on April 12, 2019, 08:44:46 AM
Glad the MKS did its' job and that you are ok!!!

Nice new ride :D  Lots of benefits to having a truck these days.  They ride almost like cars, they can haul, travel over rough country, and can haul a** when tuned.  Many miles of smiles lie ahead!!!

Watch for fuel dilution issues, change oil early the first few times around.  Lab analysis of results I would say are almost compulsory given how "new" this engine is in the Ford stable.  Hopefully will fare better than the DI version of the 5.0.

The Lincoln truly took one for the team.  Other than being blasted by shards of glass and having the rear view mirror (while still attached) hit me in the head, I came out unscathed.  Fortunately not much to damage with the head blow.  LOL

It was a strange shopping experience.  Looked at a LOADED Ram.  Interior was far, far nicer than this Platinum F150, but it had an unquestionable rod knock brand new!  The Ram next to it was a Big Horn, but motor sounded fine.  Looked at a 5.0 F150.  Once again, the motor was NOT happy.  Salesman is a friend and said it's basically hit or miss on the new Coyote's.  Some sound fine and some have bottom end tick brand new.

Did a 100 mile search and found this Platinum model with the MAX tow, FX4, 701a, panoramic roof, etc.  Made the long trek to the dealer and bought it.  Payment is double my previous highest and actually higher than my mortgage.  These things are just stupidly overpriced.

SM105K

Glad you are okay bud.  When I had my stock windshield replaced they used some china junk that is already starting to pit.  Next time I will have them replace with OEM FORD glass. I would hate to see what a deer would do to the windshield in my car.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

sholxgt

Quote from: SM105K on April 12, 2019, 09:01:55 AM
Glad you are okay bud.  When I had my stock windshield replaced they used some china junk that is already starting to pit.  Next time I will have them replace with OEM FORD glass. I would hate to see what a deer would do to the windshield in my car.

I couldn't ask more from the Lincoln.  I was going approximately 50mph in a tight curve, on a wet road, in foggy conditions, here in the mountains, when I caught a small glimpse of something on the side of the road headed towards me.  I stood on the brakes mid curve.  Lincoln didn't move an inch even with the impact and just drove through the curve after leaving a dead deer in it's wake.  $6,700 later and the Lincoln was out of the body shop, but was repaired far beneath my standards.  Sad, but it was time to say goodbye.

Lots of people end up off the road and in worse shape in lesser vehicles.

I found a new, leftover, 2018 PP SHO at a local dealer and was seriously considering it after how well the Lincoln took the blow.  Trouble is that I have a fox body Mustang and a car trailer and I'd like to start using both again.

ZSHO

Welcome back sholxgt! I hope no one was injured during this whole ordeal! Best of luck with the new ride.  Z  :)

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5360.msg85595.html#msg85595

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

FYI- Do not compromise for anything less than the Oem Cartlite Soundscreen windshield..
Here's a thread I posted many years ago on the Cartlite windshield on my initial findings! Z  :)

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5360.msg85595.html#msg85595

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SM105K

Quote from: ZSHO on April 12, 2019, 09:31:12 AM
FYI- Do not compromise for anything less than the Oem Cartlite Soundscreen windshield..
Here's a thread I posted many years ago on the Cartlite windshield and findings! Z  :)

I replied on the thread you posted.  I don't want to hi jack this thread. HOWEVER!  The OEM Cartlite Soundscreen is far superior hands down. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

sholxgt

Here's a thread I posted many years ago on the Cartlite windshield and findings! Z  :)

Thanks to my insurance companies policy of used and cheap replacement parts on vehicles over 2 years old, the next owner of my Lincoln has a crappy windshield and used (discolored) headlight.

SM105K

Quote from: sholxgt on April 12, 2019, 10:00:29 AM

Thanks to my insurance companies policy of used and cheap replacement parts on vehicles over 2 years old, the next owner of my Lincoln has a crappy windshield and used (discolored) headlight.

Yeah, I am interested to see what USAA says when I tell them I want an OEM replacement.   

sholxgt

Quote from: SM105K on April 12, 2019, 10:07:26 AM

Yeah, I am interested to see what USAA says when I tell them I want an OEM replacement.

USAA is my insurer and they denied an OEM windshield and a new headlight.  My car looked like crud when complete to put it nicely.

SM105K

Quote from: sholxgt on April 12, 2019, 10:16:30 AM
Quote from: SM105K on April 12, 2019, 10:07:26 AM

USAA is my insurer and they denied an OEM windshield and a new headlight.  My car looked like crud when complete to put it nicely.

Interesting....looks like I will just have to sue them again.

sholxgt

Quote from: SHOdded on April 12, 2019, 08:44:46 AM

Been giving this more thought.  What would you recommend for the early oil change interval?

My old standard was 500 odometer miles with semi-synthetic, 1500 odometer miles with full synthetic, 5,000 miles with full synthetic and then change at 5,000 intervals.

Did that with our '08 Honda that we will own till the end of time and it put down the highest N/A dyno on record for it's model at almost 200k miles.

That being said, on the wife's new car I did the first at 5,000 miles and every 5k there after because the manufacturer calls for 10k changes and everyone swears that's fine.  Just hard for me to wrap my head around that idea so I do every 5k regardless.

So, what should I do with this one?  Stick with my OLD school (like back to the '80's idea) of 500 miles for the first oil change or something different?

SHOdded

Engines are supposed to be broken in from factory, or so they say.  I would say they are maybe 90%+ broken in.  Real world conditions simply cannot be accounted for at the factory.  This is where you and your driving style comes in.  The first 1,000 miles (check owners manual) is the critical part.

Drive without WOT events during that 1,000 miles.  Vary the conditions as you normally would otherwise.  Then change the oil with the full synthetic of your choice.  Forced induction engines do not play by the same rules as naturally aspirated.  They are finicky and demanding critters, relatively speaking.

The first couple of OCIs I would do 5K, Motorcraft filter should be fine.  Then if the lab analysis looks good with regards to fuel dilution, and the wear metals are good (post results for analysis here), you can choose to extend to 10K.  I personally would stick with the 5K interval, not wanting to take chances.  Assuming normal driving conditions of course.  If your driving falls in the special operating conditions category that puts fuel into the oil because of the nature of the driving, then you would want to cut back even further AND/OR go to a higher quality/weight oil that resists fuel dilution even more.  Perhaps consider a catch can install, it is cheap insurance.  I think it would be of more benefit with fuel dilution issues than worrying about which oil to use.

And it would not hurt to look for oils that are SN+ certified, as that certification was developed with forced induction engines in mind.  So they are sturdier stock, use more magnesium instead of calcium to combat LSPI, etc.  Mobil1 and Castrol already did this starting about 2013-2014, now everyone is doing it, including Amsoil, Redline (Pro series), and the SAE version of Royal Purple.  Dunno if HPS has been reformulated yet or will be.  Make sure you get the freshest stock possible.  I have seen some stock as old as 3 years for boutique oil!

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!