• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Anyone running upgraded intercooler, HPFP, and Turbos?

Started by Agentlongwood, April 11, 2019, 09:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

I wanted to know what kind of performance you'd be likely to see with the combo of the Gearhead Intercooler, Livernoise HPFP, and ATP upgraded turbos.  Is there currently anyone running this combo?  I'm curious about how quick this setup would be, while still maintaining the easy-peasy nature of not running a methanol setup or mixing e85.  Like how quick can you realistically make one of our cars as a pure 93 octane, and no worries, daily driver? 
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

SM105K

Pretty sure Matt from Gearhead has this setup on his car.  I would look at the dyno sheet SBS posted to his thread about the new turbos he just received.  I am sure Matt will chime in.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Colorado-SHOBro

There's 2 guys up here in the denver area running mods very similar to that.
Gearhead gen 2 turbos, xdi upgraded hpfp, E30+ race gas, downpipes, full exhaust and other supporting mods.
this is the dyno sheet for one of the cars.
keep in mind this is @ 5500ft altitude. i know both guys running that setup ran 11.8-11.9 @ ~6500 da!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Agentlongwood

Thanks for the graph, that is helpful for sure.  Running 11s at that altitude is pretty ridiculous, lol.  I'd be interested to see what kind of numbers they run on pure 93 octane, since you mentioned they were using E30.  Do you know if they have the upgraded intercoolers from Gearhead?     

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: Agentlongwood on April 12, 2019, 09:04:00 AM
Thanks for the graph, that is helpful for sure.  Running 11s at that altitude is pretty ridiculous, lol.  I'd be interested to see what kind of numbers they run on pure 93 octane, since you mentioned they were using E30.  Do you know if they have the upgraded intercoolers from Gearhead?     
at the time of those runs and dyno the IC wasn't released yet. they do have the upgrade now. if you're on FB the guys name is rich mcgrath. he's heading down to texas this week to get dyno tuned by gearhead and hopefully make a record breaking track pass

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Agentlongwood on April 12, 2019, 09:04:00 AM

Based on NUMEROUS conversation with LMS and GH, on just 93 its looking like around 420awhp to the wheels before you run out of octane.

Agentlongwood

Hey, 420 to the tires sounds pretty respectable.  That translates to what like middle or low 12s in the quarter?  I got nothing against e blends or methanol.  Just curious about the upper limits of how fast you can get in true daily driver trim.  For example, my car has run 13.0.  I have no doubt that Brad could tune it to run solidly in the 12s if I wanted to try some e30.  But I'm not really worried about that.  I just want it to be as quick as possible in the exact setup that I drive it around in.  Spare tire in the trunk, car-seat in the back, 93 octane.  If turbos, IC, and HPFP can get you to about 420awhp, and no further, then that's good to know.   

SM105K

Quote from: Agentlongwood on April 12, 2019, 02:21:52 PM
Hey, 420 to the tires sounds pretty respectable.  That translates to what like middle or low 12s in the quarter?  I got nothing against e blends or methanol.  Just curious about the upper limits of how fast you can get in true daily driver trim.  For example, my car has run 13.0.  I have no doubt that Brad could tune it to run solidly in the 12s if I wanted to try some e30.  But I'm not really worried about that.  I just want it to be as quick as possible in the exact setup that I drive it around in.  Spare tire in the trunk, car-seat in the back, 93 octane.  If turbos, IC, and HPFP can get you to about 420awhp, and no further, then that's good to know.   

Brad can tune you straight into the 12's with E30 and two sub performing turbos.....My SHO is proof. 

420 hp on pump isn't a bad number.  I would just wouldn't be happy I spent all this coin and that's it.  I have no doubt my car without worn out turbos would put close to that if I could get the boost up on just the E30 tune. It would also save me 4K.   

However, if I am going to drop said money on turbos, HPFP, and DP's, we are going head hunting.  500/500 would be the absolute minimum I would expect out of the set up.   
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Agentlongwood

Quote from: SM105K on April 12, 2019, 02:32:45 PM
However, if I am going to drop said money on turbos, HPFP, and DP's, we are going head hunting.

Well yeah, 100% agree.  With that setup, you'd be obligated to give ethanol a try, just to satisfy curiosity, lol.  I'd give it a try as well.  But I certainly wouldn't be running e30 on every fill up, on the car that I drive to work every day.  That sounds like a nightmare.  That's why my curiosity is around how fast you can reasonably get when it's set up exactly the way that you drive to work every day.

SM105K

Quote from: Agentlongwood on April 12, 2019, 03:53:31 PM
However, if I am going to drop said money on turbos, HPFP, and DP's, we are going head hunting.

Well yeah, 100% agree.  With that setup, you'd be obligated to give ethanol a try, just to satisfy curiosity, lol.  I'd give it a try as well.  But I certainly wouldn't be running e30 on every fill up, on the car that I drive to work every day.  That sounds like a nightmare.  That's why my curiosity is around how fast you can reasonably get when it's set up exactly the way that you drive to work every day.

Do you have E85 readily available? Mixing E30 takes about three mins more then just a regular fill up.  I only have like six gas stations in the Phoenix Metro area that carry E54 out of the pump.  I don't daily my SHO, so E30 is perfect for me and why I willing to put it on the edge. 

Agentlongwood

Quote from: SM105K on April 12, 2019, 04:01:50 PM

Do you have E85 readily available? Mixing E30 takes about three mins more then just a regular fill up.  I only have like six gas stations in the Phoenix Metro area that carry E54 out of the pump.  I don't daily my SHO, so E30 is perfect for me and why I willing to put it on the edge.

Nah, E85 is in the general area, but a bit out of the way.  Plus this is my only car, so when I go on a road trip I can't rely on E85 being handy at all times.  And I'm lazy, lol.  I want the car to be fast, but also about as easy to deal with as possible.  I don't mind wrenching on it to replace something every now and then.  But for day-to-day, I like simplicity.  And I'm willing to live with it not being as fast as other folks who are willing to put in that little bit extra.

StealBlueSho

Upgraded turbos even if you are not pushing 500/500 will help everything last longer. The stockers max out at 500/450... and longevity is severely impacted at that... can't expect maxed out turbos to last long, let alone the additional heat they are producing being that taxed.

18SHO

I started doing it , I daily mine and do about 50 miles round trip to and from work. If you got e85 locally available it's easy to mix believe it or not . I've got a calculator that I use after I test the ethanol and your good to go . My MPG combined only went down half a MPG not even a full MPG and the car is night and day faster from my 93 octane tune !
2018 SHO PP factory stock for now
AJPTURBO E30 tune stock plugs .028 gap
5.25.19 12.53 @ 112.96 1.85 60FT 1850 DA 71 F
Best trap 113.61

18SHO

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on April 12, 2019, 06:01:50 PM
Upgraded turbos even if you are not pushing 500/500 will help everything last longer. The stockers max out at 500/450... and longevity is severely impacted at that... can't expect maxed out turbos to last long, let alone the additional heat they are producing being that taxed.

Good point , funny thing is what Matt wants for them upgraded turbos that if the stock ones fail your much better off just getting the upgraded ones because if you went to the dealer to have the stock ones replaced you'd be paying probably almost as much if not more lol
2018 SHO PP factory stock for now
AJPTURBO E30 tune stock plugs .028 gap
5.25.19 12.53 @ 112.96 1.85 60FT 1850 DA 71 F
Best trap 113.61

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 18SHO on April 12, 2019, 09:34:20 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSHO on April 12, 2019, 06:01:50 PM

Good point , funny thing is what Matt wants for them upgraded turbos that if the stock ones fail your much better off just getting the upgraded ones because if you went to the dealer to have the stock ones replaced you'd be paying probably almost as much if not more lol

Matt's turbos are cheaper than the ATPs. But it really comes down to install costs.

Matt's are $2K plus the hardware which is another $120... so $2,120 for GH turbos plus install.