• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 MKS in PA

Started by MKS Tom, April 05, 2019, 03:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKS Tom

New here, I bought my 2013 MKS in January.  I am getting ready to run my 3 bar SCT LiveWire TS tune via Ortiz Tuning.  Colder plugs and 170 thermostat.  Putting on DynoMax axlebacks for some sound.  Adding in the Z23 Power Stop rotors and pads as well.  I previously serviced the PTU, trans, rear diff, and a coolant flush.  Roughly 66K on it. 

I also ordered a pair of PPE catted down pipes and a J2 intake that I will have on shortly after that.  I am sure I will go with some H&R springs, MSD coils, and probably an upgraded throttle body this year too. 

Thank you to Lee from Ortiz Tuning for all of his help too.  Hope to learn a lot here. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

SHOdded

Welcome, glad to have you and your MKS here!  Off to a resounding start already :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Straight up getting after it.  Welcome!
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Agentlongwood

Woohoo, more MKS love!  I've actually wondered about springs on the MKS.  Since it has the active suspension, (and you can change the suspension settings in the info screen) does going to lower/stiffer springs screw with that system?
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

MKS Tom

Quote from: Agentlongwood on April 05, 2019, 03:10:47 PM
Woohoo, more MKS love!  I've actually wondered about springs on the MKS.  Since it has the active suspension, (and you can change the suspension settings in the info screen) does going to lower/stiffer springs screw with that system?

I don't believe mine has an active suspension and I tried to look for any type of settings for it.  I have virtually every option that they had in 2013 too. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

limited02

Quote from: MKS Tom on April 05, 2019, 03:29:42 PM
Quote from: Agentlongwood on April 05, 2019, 03:10:47 PM

I don't believe mine has an active suspension and I tried to look for any type of settings for it.  I have virtually every option that they had in 2013 too. 
I could be wrong, but I'm 99% sure the '13+ MKS had standard active suspension.

StinkinLinkin13

Yes. Active suspension should be standard on the MKS. I love it. Main reason I chose it over the SHO. Plus more rare.. more sleeper. It should be under Menu "Settings"> "Vehicle">"Drive Control"
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

Agentlongwood

It does have active suspension.  I'm willing to admit that it took me an EMBERASSING amount of time to find the settings for it.  I looked forever in the infotainment menus.  Got really frustrated and gave up.  Turns out you cannot access those options from the infotainment screen.  They can only be accessed by the little screen on the left of the tachometer.  They are listed as "drive control" settings I believe.  You have 3 options to choose from.  "Comfort", "Normal", and "Sport."  Plus you can actually choose different settings when you have the car in D or S.  Mine is set to normal suspension while it's in D, and Sport suspension when it's in S.  Comfort is a joke. It's seriously just hilariously soft. 

I was just wondering of changing the springs (Spring rate and/or ride height) will mess with the system.  Because in addition to changing the damping level, the MKS suspension is also adaptive.  As in it, adjusts a bazillion times a second according to road conditions.  Similar to the Mag-Ride that Chevy makes.

SHOdded

Overview

The semi-active suspension dampening provides improved handling, comfort and stability by continuously adjusting the adaptive shock absorber force to the current road and driving conditions.

Vehicle Dynamic Suspension

The VDM is connected to the HS-CAN to communicate with the ABS module, the PCM and other systems. With the information received the VDM monitors the heave, roll, pitch, cornering, braking and acceleration of the vehicle. Based on that information the VDM calculates the best action for each valve solenoid.

Component Description

Vehicle Dynamics Module (VDM)

The VDM monitors all sensor inputs and all HS-CAN messages that relate to the vehicle dynamic suspension and then directly controls the valve solenoids. The VDM sends an individual electrical current to each valve solenoid to control the amount of damping required.

When a new VDM is installed, the module must be programmed with the vehicle configuration information. For additional information on module programming, refer to Section 418-01 .

When one of the following components is installed new, the VDM requires calibration.

VDM
Suspension height sensor
Front lower control arm
Front strut assembly
Rear lower control arm
Rear upper control arm
Rear wheel knuckle
The calibration procedure is required for the system to learn the "zero-position" of the vehicle which means the vehicle must be on a level surface, must not be moving and cannot contain any passengers or cargo. The calibration procedure is carried out using a scan tool.

Height Sensor

The height sensor uses a potentiometer to send a variable amount of voltage back to the VDM . The sensor has 3 circuits, one circuit is for the 5 volt sensor supply, one circuit is for sensor ground and one circuit is for the sensor output.

Valve Solenoid

The VDM uses a PWM output to control the valve solenoid. The solenoid will open or close the valve depending on the amount of current supplied by the VDM . The higher the current, the more the valve is opened, resulting in a "firm" suspension feel.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MKS Tom

Quote from: Agentlongwood on April 08, 2019, 01:47:02 PM

It does have active suspension.  I'm willing to admit that it took me an EMBERASSING amount of time to find the settings for it.  I looked forever in the infotainment menus.  Got really frustrated and gave up.  Turns out you cannot access those options from the infotainment screen.  They can only be accessed by the little screen on the left of the tachometer.  They are listed as "drive control" settings I believe.  You have 3 options to choose from.  "Comfort", "Normal", and "Sport."  Plus you can actually choose different settings when you have the car in D or S.  Mine is set to normal suspension while it's in D, and Sport suspension when it's in S.  Comfort is a joke. It's seriously just hilariously soft. 

I was just wondering of changing the springs (Spring rate and/or ride height) will mess with the system.  Because in addition to changing the damping level, the MKS suspension is also adaptive.  As in it, adjusts a bazillion times a second according to road conditions.  Similar to the Mag-Ride that Chevy makes.

Thank you.  I had looked all over in that menu before and was not able to find anything related to it.  I will look again though.  Thank you. 

MKS Tom

Ha, I went out at 4 am in the rain to find it and sure enough it has been there the whole time. lol Thank you.  I will find out for sure if these can be changed now.

Perfecting timing too.  I had the axle backs, Power Stop kit, 170 degree thermostat, and Moog sway bar end links all installed yesterday.  Later today I am going to swap in the 3 bar map and load the tune. 

Agentlongwood

Quote from: MKS Tom on April 13, 2019, 03:56:39 AM
Ha, I went out at 4 am in the rain to find it and sure enough it has been there the whole time. lol Thank you. 

No worries man, lol.  Ford put that in the dumbest, most hard to reach menu.  I won't say how long I owned the car before I stumbled across it... but it was a loooooooooong time.

PDSHO

Greetings from Nebraska.

Greg
2013 Taurus Police Interceptor. AWD, Eco-Boost. SOLD
2015 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, Eco-Boost.
2016 Taurus Police Interceptor, Eco-Boost
2014 Lincoln MKS Eco-Boost