• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Upgraded Transmission Mounts? (Dogbone)

Started by StinkinLinkin13, April 04, 2019, 10:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanadianSHO

I ordered the street version of the mounts from ssmp a short while ago for my 2010 SHO, and I have serious NVH concerns at idle and cruising in 6th on the highway, but I absolutely love the gtr-like sound I get when I get on the skinny pedal.  The 1-2 shift is excellent now, (why I purchased them).   I had no idea that the engine sound in the cabin would change so much.  I'm going to try installing longer bolts with nylock nuts (just snug) to reduce nvh at idle and cruise, but maybe they will break in a bit after having been installed for a while.
2010 SHO with 2014 PI brakes, SSMP torque mounts, noisemaker eliminated

StinkinLinkin13

I have them. Then NVH will tone down a bit with some miles but not go away entirely. I got used to it and I actually kinda like it now. Sometimes you have to choose comfort or performance.   

- Edit. I forgot I started this thread a while back. And yea I went with the SSM version about a two months ago.  Top notch product shipping and packing. 
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

CanadianSHO

That's good to know, I'll hold off on the longer bolts for now then.  They're costing me more in gas just because it sounds so good on throttle now.

MKS Tom

I will probably only get them for the track unless I find the NVH is OK, but every single time this is brought up on the FB groups people who defend SSM fail to address their machining practices on these parts.

What I mean is, I am not a mechanic.  I am a novice at best when it comes to cars in large due to the time I can allocate to them (I work 2nd shift) and that my garage is a converted living space (I live in PA and I am not working outside in the extreme cold or heat). 

What I am though is a machinist.  When I see a product sent to customers that has the OD of it obviously cut with a band saw, I really begin to question the attention to detail on the product and frankly the pride of those whom are doing the work.  I wouldn't put something that looked like that in our scrap bin because one of the guys would pull it out and laugh at me let alone allow that to reach a customer looking that way.  It would take literally no effort to have a proper finish and cutoff by any half decent machinist that wouldn't look like garbage and would ensure repeatability and holding to closer tolerances.  As a tradesman who takes pride in his work this REALLY bothers me. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

StinkinLinkin13

You have examples of what your describing... Maybe some side by side pictures? I'm just curious. Mine weren't works of art by any means but they fit and worked perfectly. Plus they were significantly cheaper. 

Plus... Idc or have any affiliations. I'm no "brand loyalist"... Just bought the easier, cheaper, convenient option in my case.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

shoNoff

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on August 03, 2019, 01:20:13 PM
You have examples of what your describing... Maybe some side by side pictures? I'm just curious. Mine weren't works of art by any means but they fit and worked perfectly. Plus they were significantly cheaper. 

Plus... Idc or have any affiliations. I'm no "brand loyalist"... Just bought the easier, cheaper, convenient option in my case.

Only things I can see there is Dicunzolo's are made from round steel. Those look like square between the mounting points. Round > Square when it comes to tubing strength. Also Tony's have grease fittings.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

MKS Tom

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on August 03, 2019, 01:20:13 PM

You can see in the picture you posted where it was cut with a band saw, that finish is awful.  I could NEVER send something that looked like that out the door.  If they seem to work for everyone, than great, but it makes me ask questions in my head per what I do for a living about the quality of their work and maintaining overall tolerances. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

StinkinLinkin13

Yea. I see what your saying and I appreciate your perspective as a machinist. I actually agree with how you feel about quality workmanship. However polished or not has zero effect on performance for THIS particular part application. It works just fine and this is the same company that made Anthony's parts to begin with and everyone was raving about them then. Now not so much. So idk what happened. Honestly Idc either way.

You would probably flip out if you saw what some if the parts look like on the fire trucks, engines and EMS units in our SAFD fleet... 😂 (Pierce and Frazier)

Anyone have pics of Anthony's new suppliers torque struts? Curiosity sake.

shoNoff

2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

CanadianSHO

Looks to me like Anthony's struts have more room for shock absorbing material due to larger diameter tubes around the bearing sleeves.  Might be less NVH with those as long as the poly isn't super hard.  Definitely nicer looking for sure.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Agentlongwood

I have the ones from DiCunzolo, with the grease fittings.  They really do clean up the 1-2 shift.  Like A LOT.  Dunno what it is, but man from a launch my 1-2 shift was this loud shudder/thunk noise.  Felt like something was going to break.  Put in these mounts, and it feels perfectly fine.  The only downside seems to be luck of the draw on my individual car, lol.  There is 1 very specific spot in the RPM band, under juuust the right amount of throttle, will make something inside the dash buzz really loud.  It's super obnoxious when it happens, but any change in throttle will make it go away instantly.  Idle is fine, cruising is fine, and full throttle is fine.  But when the stars align it's super annoying.  But it still beats the heck out of the crummy 1-2 shifts from before.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

76fomoco

2013 PP AJP E30 160 TS, sp542 plugs, 3 bar, PPE catted DP's, GH IC, GH turbos, XDI-35, EPP hot and intake
Best 3-29-21  11.85 with 3000 DA
DA trap best 117.96
E30 = 492 whp, 536 wtq
E30+meth 498 whp, 539 wtq

Macgyver

Maybe someone can do a video of a before and after 1st to 2nd gear shift.

My son has a Veloster N Turbo.

Here is an example.

https://youtu.be/w6gXkJzJVTQ

StinkinLinkin13