• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Failed turbo's - how to proceed

Started by guitar333, March 25, 2019, 12:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar333

Hey guys,

Last week my turbos stopped building boost and then i had some smoke out the exhaust, I knew it wasn't good.
Just got a call from the dealership and they confirmed both turbos are toast and I have a valve cover leak (may explain my recent cyl 3 misfire).
They quoted a ton of dough to replace these items so I'm picking up the car today and I'm going to order the turbos/parts online and hopefully find a good shop to swap them out for me locally here in Puerto Rico.

Anyone familiar with the turbo replacement options?
I see I can get some OEM replacements for $1000 from rockauto or amazon/ebay (Rotomaster/Clevite/CF Power/Stigan).
Any feedback on these manufacturers?

Looks like I can also a CR Performance rebuild kit for $580 or a upgraded CHRA(?) kit for $900.
Maybe thats the way to go? (An upgrade for the same budget would be nice)

Any additional parts I should buy (gaskets/etc related to the turbo replacement)?
I should prob definitely add a catch can to the list, eh?!

What's the shop time for replacing both turbos and/or the valve cover gasket?

Thanks for any suggestions
Rhett
2010 SHO - CAI, Downpipes, CR Rebuilt Turbos, LMS SIII Tune, H&R

1990 SHO - 3.2 Supercharged, all the modz

SM105K

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

definitely do all the oil/coolant feed/drain line gaskets and screens/filters.

If the housing/wheels are undamaged, you can benefit from the CHRA upgrade.  If you already have a tune, upgrade the tune.  If you don't have a tune, get a tune.  That's how much difference it will make.

OEM turbos are fairly inexpensive compared to a few years ago.  Prob have to send back cores tho.

6 hrs or so for rear turbo (bank 1), 2 hrs for front (bank 2) turbo.  VC gasket, not sure, probably under 2 hrs?  Some idea can be had from the valve cover replacement TSB.

Check/drain your intercooler.  That will tell you if a catch can is needed for your car or not.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ThePresidential

Quote from: SHOdded on March 25, 2019, 03:12:55 PM

If the housing/wheels are undamaged, you can benefit from the CHRA upgrade.  If you already have a tune, upgrade the tune.  If you don't have a tune, get a tune.  That's how much difference it will make.

Does the tune make the your turbochargers run better or more reliable?
2013 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost | Oil breather | spectre CAI | Needing to install catch cans | 160 thermostat |

Macgyver

Not more reliable. Tuning usually puts more boost and timing in so more stress on everything.

ThePresidential

Will tuning be putting stress on the transmission with harder or faster shifts?
2013 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost | Oil breather | spectre CAI | Needing to install catch cans | 160 thermostat |

Macgyver

Tuning adds stress to the trans as well. Quicker shifts. They usually adjust some more pressure etc. There is more torque. Everything happens faster and harder.