• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Help me Diagnose Knocking Sound

Started by abs, March 23, 2019, 05:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macgyver

Blackstone for an oil analysis ? Maybe tell what parts are wearing ?

abs

So, I haven't been driving the Flex due to the unknown engine noise. I picked up a 2007 Lexus LS460 to drive in the meantime. However, I am back to trying to determine what could be wrong and found this video which clearly shows the same noise as my engine. They claim it is from a faulty timing chain tensioner, can anyone verify this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVMj-zfJm5M

FoMoCoSHO

abs

FoMoCoSHO - Thanks very much for the note you sent.

To provide everyone an update on the situation, I have concluded that the knocking noise I am hearing was not due to the water pump, but actually due to the cam phasers knocking at idle.  The fact that the noise only occurs once the engine starts to warm up (and the oil thins out) and also only at low RPMs (under around 1,000 rpm), are both very good indicators that the sound is actually from the cam phaser lock pin making noise while seated.  The noise goes away when slightly off idle. 

After watching and listening to lots of YouTube videos of cam phaser issues on different Ford engines, it's now fairly clear to me that this is the sound I've been hearing.  What I can't explain is why the Ford techs at my local dealer were unable to make that diagnosis since this is something they probably see (and hear) on a regular basis.

SHOdded

maybe ask to talk to a tech that works on f150s regularly?  or anyone with 5.4 3V experience?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFOxIZEWZM
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!