• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Struts going bad...Suggestions?

Started by MeanKS, March 22, 2019, 12:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanKS

So, my 2010 MKS-EB has a little under 90,000 miles and the front struts are starting to go.

all this started to happen, at least that i noticed, when i got some defective Cooper tires installed on the car.  although all the 'experts' have told me they never heard of tires messing up suspension parts; that its the other way around.

regardless of all that, i'm going to need new struts pretty soon.

I want to know what my options are, because i actually liked some of the characteristics that occurred at first before the car eventually started to 'bop' and slightly shimmy over certain bumps/ expansion points on the road (felt and heard on the right front side).

at first when i got the tires, besides the underline vibration, i noticed the front end was stiffer than what it was before.  i don't think actual handling limits were improved, but the 'feel' felt sportier with more feedback at times.  of course this was mixed in with unwanted vibration as well, so i didn't think of it as positive overall.  But, if i can get the sportier/firmer feel along with the smoothness i expect, i will be a very happy camper!

so I'm thinking if i go with the 2010 SHO (non PP, if it was even available) front struts instead of the Lincoln MKS-EB front struts; i might get the combination i'm looking for...

so what do you guys think?

1)  get the SHO struts?
2)  get the standard MKS-EB struts?
3)  go Monroe or some other 3rd party strut?

I've searched the forum for posts on struts.  Seems the vast majority of responses said to stay away from Monroe or KYB and go with MotorCraft.

I only plan on keeping the car for another year or two and then plan on buying an Explorer (either ST or older Sport or Platinum with the V6 EB engine).  so perhaps Monroe or KYB shocks would work for me...
MKS-EB...

bpd1151

Given your (stated) plans are only to keep the car for another year, maybe two at most, if it was me, I'd just stick with factory replacements.

They've served you well this long.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Since you have a 2010MY the (suspension Code) can be a bit tricky and would confirm fitment Prior to ordering with www.Fordparts.com on (chat) using your Vin number. Z

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lincoln,2010,mks,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1444584,suspension,strut,7584

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MeanKS

Quote from: bpd1151 on March 22, 2019, 12:46:24 AM
Given your (stated) plans are only to keep the car for another year, maybe two at most, if it was me, I'd just stick with factory replacements.

They've served you well this long.

i said i wanted a firmer/sportier feel.

how would sticking with the stock Lincoln struts accomplish that?

also, if i only have 2 years left with the car before i plan on getting something else, how does the experience/longevity argument make sense???

???????????
MKS-EB...

SHOdded

:o  Just his 2 cents, LOL.  By staying stock, like bpd said, you only get 2 solid years plus nothing to do at resale time.

It is difficult to speak to whether SHO parts will work well with Lincoln parts.  I believe there are suspension setup differences, so you might want to full boltons rather than just springs or struts.  Springs AND struts, that is.  If you are willing to experiment, and have someone you can work with, maybe firmer springs are all you need.  Not sure if the MKS has the typical electronically controlled suspension settings and how that would be affected.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

If money is no issue, and you don't care about any upgrades (or your return on that investment) perhaps consider BC Racing and/or Megan Racing suspension setup(s).

Both are sold for the SHO platform, but I believe the suspension setups (factory that is) are similar across both platforms.

I made my suggestions of remaining stock, despite your mentioning enjoying what you perceived to be the former ride quality (before the factory components having failed) and you also listed #2 as being just that (remaining stock) and then went onto state that you would "only" be keeping the car for 1 addt'l year, perhaps two.

Didn't sound like you cared to put to much coin into it. That's all.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

ZSHO

To the OP! Based on your initial post think you left your options open to either SHO struts or Standard MKS-EB struts or Monroe or some other 3rd party strut correct!! Simply stating the facts that's all while trying to help you out and best of luck to ya. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Sabtaj1

Are you sure its the struts?  Say if you are driving over 40mph and start to give it 1/4 throttle or so does the car try n pull left or right and you have to correct it until letting off throttle?  I only ask cause my flex has done this a few times and it was caused by the lower control arm, the large bushing that mounts the rear of the arm.  Its a oil filled bushing and when they go bad the whole damn arm moves around.  Bad design.  Cant buy just the bushing but the whole arm complete is cheap anyways now.  Just a thought...  Mine would pull similar to how you described yours and also pull under throttle.
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

MeanKS

Quote from: Sabtaj1 on March 23, 2019, 05:10:42 AM
Are you sure its the struts?  Say if you are driving over 40mph and start to give it 1/4 throttle or so does the car try n pull left or right and you have to correct it until letting off throttle?  I only ask cause my flex has done this a few times and it was caused by the lower control arm, the large bushing that mounts the rear of the arm.  Its a oil filled bushing and when they go bad the whole damn arm moves around.  Bad design.  Cant buy just the bushing but the whole arm complete is cheap anyways now.  Just a thought...  Mine would pull similar to how you described yours and also pull under throttle.

No, it definitely seems to just be the struts.  I've had two shops and a stealership look at the front end, all say that the suspension (hard) bits are all fine with the last guy saying the struts are starting to go.

I'm leaning towards the Gabriel Ultra-ready strut mounts full assembly units (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9116716&cc=1445050&jsn=8). 

they have everything already put together and ready to install.  they also seem to be more highly rated than the comparable Monroe units.  I also think Gabriel were the original OEM shock supplier for our cars (at least thats what i've seen on other forums).

main thing I'm worried about is that they are listed for the SHO specifically but not for the MKS.  the MKS does not have any full set up strut units available from what i can see only stand alone shocks.  But, if the parts fit the SHO it should fit the MKS, especially 2010-2012 models before the MKS went to an electronically adjustable shock set up.

aren't the undercarriages and chassis (hard bits and points) identical for both vehicles?
MKS-EB...

SHOdded

The strut and mount pricing for code C and E is the same as for the MKS.  So it is likely the SHO quik strut will fit the MKS also.  Theoretically.