• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Battery buying guidance

Started by lamrith, March 20, 2019, 04:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamrith

Some of you may recall a thread I started back in winter 2017 about my car going into Battery Saver mode at shut-down.
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,8460.0.html

The result of that I went looking for a battery and found a local guy selling unused AGM batteries he had bought for a off-grid power project and abandoned.  I had one tested and it was showing 129% capacity.  being "used" I bought it for a good deal.  That stopped the problem and life was good, for about a year.
Fall 2018 I started noticing I got the same battery saver mode once in a while.  once a month or so, then once a week, recently it is every day.  Culminating in Monday when I got in to drive home it started fine but I had no radio.  Recalling these cars are voltage sensitive I tested at home and sure enough battery is 12.3v once car is shut off.  Running the alt is cranking out a nice solid 14.3v.  I normally remote start and have found out that doing that helps make sure I have radio whe I get in, as the car is running and getting 14v when the radio is initialized...

SO, once again I am on the hunt for a battery.  OMG, I swear battery pricing goes up 25% each year.  What happened to the <$100 batteries? (Man I am getting old)  I just cannot stomach paying $300+ for a battery given the reports I see that batteries in these cars only last 2-3yrs regardless of what you buy.  Looks like it is also recommended to go with a 850CCA.  Budget batteries and batteries+ have options in the $150-175 range.  Would I gain much longevity with the $225-240 priced batteries?   What you you guys finding/using for a battery these days?
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

FoMoCoSHO

I never replaced the SHO batteries with anything better (Warranty nonsense)and had failure after failure.

True to form, The MKS batt went pretty immediately. Said screw it and ponied up for the 850 and no more issues to date.

lamrith

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 20, 2019, 06:10:51 PM
I never replaced the SHO batteries with anything better (Warranty nonsense)and had failure after failure.

True to form, The MKS batt went pretty immediately. Said screw it and ponied up for the 850 and no more issues to date.
Did you go with just any ole 850, or a higher end one?  I am not sure the CCA on the one I have, will look tonight.  Just tough to know the "right" choice seeing the price range $150-430  My thinking is why spend $400 for a battery that will still die in say 3yrs, when a $150 will make it over 2..?
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: lamrith on March 20, 2019, 06:16:22 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 20, 2019, 06:10:51 PM

Did you go with just any ole 850, or a higher end one?  I am not sure the CCA on the one I have, will look tonight.  Just tough to know the "right" choice seeing the price range $150-430  My thinking is why spend $400 for a battery that will still die in say 3yrs, when a $150 will make it over 2..?
Big boy motorcraft, IIRC it was under 150.

SHOdded

you may be interested in how gjkrisa enabled dark mode to stop the "brain drain" from the battery.  He had posted about this maybe late last year?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I would go with the Motorcraft BXT-65-850
Battery which is an upgrade from the stock 650 and probably the best battery @ this price point IMO!
I think you can pick it up from your local Ford parts dept for added convenience plus avoiding the core charge if exchanged.
I would confirm Prior for availability and best of luck.  Z

Part #: BXT65850 (65)

$139.95

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/battery-and-related-components/battery-6531615-1

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

bpd1151

Agreed w/Z......

The 850 is by far the best option when replacing these batteries.

The 650, which is what came stock from the factory is horse $h!t given all the electronics our techno sleds manage day in, day out.

Even FMC considers it to be a "medium duty" battery. Which I've documented previously.

The 850 is a good upgrade by far. Especially given its price point relative to other options out there.

Especially since these are averaging approximately 3yrs of life expectancy/usage.

FoMoCoSHO

I think the one Z posted is what I put in.

lamrith

Thanks guys!  I will check that one out.