• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Engine hesitated, smell of gas in cabin...

Started by MeanKS, March 14, 2019, 04:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanKS

MPG has gone up another 2 ticks.

the engine is running very smoothly.

No engine light on...

Been searching around for fuel injector cleanings (professional), most shops will not touch our 3.5 TT DIs!  they say 'go to the dealership'!  so i'll get that done on next saturday most likely, the one dealer i called says they charge $200 for it.  seems steep.  the machine they use is made by 'Mach'; i'm searching for other shops that may have the same equipment and if they'll feel confident doing the service.

I've just had so many bad experiences servicing my car at local Ford/Lincoln dealerships, that i look for other reputable smaller shops.

anyway, i'm gong to Mieneke today to have them look at the front end and the slight shimmy i feel sometimes when going over bumps and see what they say about it.  the manager said he thinks it may be the sway bars link or bushings.  i'll probably get them to do the front brakes as well if they need work and oil change.

any reason they shouldn't do our oil changes?
MKS-EB...

SHOdded

Every shop is different, ultimately  based on your trust in them.

As far as FI service, ZSHO had his done at a dealership, they used Valvoline  pro grade products, and it was effective  IIRC.

Any shop that services diesel common rail should be able to do this work.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MeanKS

so the Mieneke guy says the right strut is in the beginnings of failing.  he says theres not much extra movement, but he did detect some.  i can concur, only happens over certain bumps/expansion joints/cobble stones etc.

he recommends changing both fronts out in the next 6,000 miles or so (will be about a $500 to $700 job) depending on parts.

He's doing the oil change.

He said the front brakes are fine, but the back ones have to be done.

still looking for a shop that will do the FI cleaning, but i have to say, the Techron does seem to be making a difference.
MKS-EB...

ZSHO

Here's some info on the Valvoline VPS Intake cleaner which was inserted via Intake Plenum IIRC! Z
I think it was performed for $99.00 @ Ford.

https://www.valvoline.com/en-asia/our-products/vps/vps-intake-cleaner

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

If the Techron cleaning effects hold for 6 months/5k miles, then you are probably good.  If you have to repeat  often, then you have to dig deeper.

Maybe consider 5 oz MMO every fuelup see if that helps.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MeanKS

so it effing happened again!  :blowup:

dropped it off last night at a recommended shop that can handle our type engines.

Guy just calls me a says they ran through all the diagnostics (and service bulletins) and everything checks out, he even took the car out with the computer connected to make sure, said it felt good and looked good on the computer.  he also said they ran each cylinder and tested each separately and each is running fine, also checked all the spark plugs.

the car did feel fine driving to the shop, but earlier driving to work the car was shaking noticeably and the engine light came on, I also smelled gas at one point.

So, since i'm already paying 100 for diagnostic, i'm going to have them do a fuel injector cleaning.  I also want them to secure the knock sensor wires, I actually sent them some links showing what i'm talking about.

is there anything else I should ask them to do?
MKS-EB...

MeanKS

Quote from: SHOdded on March 16, 2019, 06:37:16 PM
If the Techron cleaning effects hold for 6 months/5k miles, then you are probably good.  If you have to repeat  often, then you have to dig deeper.

Maybe consider 5 oz MMO every fuelup see if that helps.

so Marvelous Mystery is good for our engines?
MKS-EB...

lamrith

Just spitballing here....

Any chance you have an SCT tuner?  No idea what to log, just thinking if have it handy and plugged in you might be able to log something if it does it again, while it is doing it.  That might help guys here and your shop of choice?  Maybe folks here could recommend some PID's to have setup to log?

'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SHOdded

Shaking implies an injector on its way out to me, unless there is a loss of pressure in a fuel line somewhere, which would lead to a smell in the passenger cabin.  On occasion we have seen the line to the HPFP needing to be brazed due to a leak there, but not really anywhere else.

MMO is fine to use, as long as it is 4.5-5 oz per tankful.

Not sure what year your MKS is, but did it have the fuel pump/control module recalls on it?