• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Engine hesitated, smell of gas in cabin...

Started by MeanKS, March 14, 2019, 04:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanKS

so was riding along and then all of sudden the engne started to rumble/hesitate and then the smell of gas in the cabin.

turned her off and tried to restart.  wouldn't start, had to wait around 15 minutes and then it finally turned over. 

engine was still rumbling and could smell gas.  after about 10 minutes it started to run more or less normally, but the engine light remains on.

threw codes P0330 and P0306, knock sensor and misfire.

an Orielly tech told me it probably just needs a tune up...

So what do you guys think.

If i do get a tune up, where should i go (stealership???) and should i go ahead and get anything special done (like the specific plugs gapped a specific amount)?

I really haven't used my tune for a while now.

when they replaced my engine (for the 2nd time - 1st was flooding, 2nd threw a rod which the dealership took responsibility for, luckily) about 3 years ago, it seemed like a really stout unit (plus i have enough speeding tickets) so i never reinstalled any tune.
MKS-EB...

MiWiAu

If you sniff the tail pipe is there a strong odor of gas and/or a white vapor?

I had a similar issue on my Explorer and it turned out to be a stuck fuel injector that was replaced under the 80k emissions warranty.

If it is an injector, I wouldn't drive it, as the raw fuel can dump into the exhaust and destroy the catalytic converter.

EDIT: My codes were P0316 (misfire on startup), P00C6 (fuel rail pressure too low), and P0302) cylinder 2 misfire). The #2 injector was replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

MeanKS

Quote from: MiWiAu on March 14, 2019, 04:29:24 PM

I had a similar issue on my Explorer and it turned out to be a stuck fuel injector that was replaced under the 80k emissions warranty.

If it is an injector, I wouldn't drive it, as the raw fuel can dump into the exhaust and destroy the catalytic converter.

EDIT: My codes were P0300 (multiple cyl misfire) and P0306 (culture 6 misfire. The #6 injector was replaced.

thanks for the info!

sounds like this might be it.

last time i went to the stealership they replaced a purge valve due to the engine throwing emissions codes.  ever since then (about 6 months ago maybe) i noticed more and thicker exhaust than usual at times.

my current engine only has about 39K on it, so hopefully any repairs should still be under warranty.  we'll see...

do you remeber the cost?

thanks for the info!

last time i went to the stealership they replaced a purge valve due to the engine throwing emissions codes.  ever since then (about 6 months ago maybe) i noticed more and thicker exhaust than usual at times.

my current engine only has about 39K on it, so hopefully any repairs should still be under warranty.  we'll see...

do you remeber the cost?
MKS-EB...

MiWiAu

Quote from: MeanKS on March 14, 2019, 04:39:52 PM
Quote from: MiWiAu on March 14, 2019, 04:29:24 PM

EDIT: My codes were P0300 (multiple cyl misfire) and P0306 (culture 6 misfire. The #6 injector was replaced.

thanks for the info!

do you remeber the cost?

thanks for the info!

do you remeber the cost?

I can check my invoice when I get home, but I know I wasn't charged. The fuel injectors are covered under the long term defects warranty and were covered to 80k miles on my explorer (or 8 years, I think)

2013 XSport

ZSHO

Its sounds like the Front (drivers side) number 6 injector needs to be replaced! Do not Drive the vehicle until sorted out IMO!
I would Check the knock sensor wires for chaffing located next to the thermostat housing. I'm hoping they will warranty your issues and keep us updated. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

^^^ Cannot emphasize strongly enough.  You risk destroying the catalytic converter if you continue to try and operate the vehicle.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MeanKS

ok, i appreciate the warnings.

but some additional info:

driving home after 10 mins the engine ran normally.

the computer mpg actually went up .1!

so whats the deal with that?
MKS-EB...

MiWiAu

I went back and corrected my prior post. Mine was injector 2, not 6. Codes present were:

P00C6 - fuel rail pressure too low
P0302 - cyl 2 misfire
P0316 - misfire on startup

My vehicle mileage at the time of failure was 32,764.

There are no hours associated to the repair on my repair order and it's all listed as "no charge"

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Quote from: MeanKS on March 14, 2019, 06:10:09 PM

Is the vehicle modified in any other way or is it completely stock? Has anything been done service-wise recently? The smell of fuel is concerning. Maybe you have a intermittently functional component on its way out - hard to say. As far as the fuel economy is concerned, I would say 0.1 difference over 10 miles is statistically insignificant.

Is your CEL on solid or flashing? When I had my injector issue, it was flashing, which is uber bad. Luckily, my issue manifested literally as I was pulling into my driveway, and I had it put on a flatbed and towed to the dealer before driving it again.

2013 XSport

MeanKS

Quote from: MiWiAu on March 14, 2019, 06:43:30 PM
Quote from: MeanKS on March 14, 2019, 06:10:09 PM

Is the vehicle modified in any other way or is it completely stock? Has anything been done service-wise recently? The smell of fuel is concerning. Maybe you have a intermittently functional component on its way out - hard to say. As far as the fuel economy is concerned, I would say 0.1 difference over 10 miles is statistically insignificant.

Is your CEL on solid or flashing? When I had my injector issue, it was flashing, which is uber bad. Luckily, my issue manifested literally as I was pulling into my driveway, and I had it put on a flatbed and towed to the dealer before driving it again.

its solid now, but when the engine was really rumbling the engine light was flashing.

just went out and started it after going over the engine and seeing if i could tell if any gasoline had pooled and smelling around.

it started up normally, no rough idle, but the engine light is still on (solid).

earliest i could get in the dealer was Sat.

think i'm going to get a bottle of techron and add it to the tank!
MKS-EB...

MeanKS

MKS-EB...

MiWiAu

Quote from: MeanKS on March 14, 2019, 06:59:46 PM
and the car is completely stock now...

Per the owner's manual regarding the CEL: "If the light is blinking, engine misfire is occurring which could damage your catalytic converter. Drive in a moderate fashion (avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration) and have your vehicle serviced immediately by your authorized dealer."

If it starts blinking on you again, I would recommend pulling over as soon as safely possible to minimize any further damage.

If you have access to other transportation and can drop it off early tomorrow, sometimes they can squeeze you in earlier for diagnostics.

Keep us posted on what they find! Good luck!

2013 XSport

MeanKS

alright guys...

so i went out and got 2 bottles of techron, added it to my tank, which was half full, topped it off with some Amoco Ultimate, and viola -- the engine light goes off.

i'll still take it to the stealership soon to have them look at it, plus i know i need my front brakes done anyway...
MKS-EB...

ZSHO

Since its #6 cylinder located right in Front bank Driver's side ,would check inspect the Spark plug ASAP! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

With port injected engines, I would have greater certainty in saying that Techron resolved the problem, but you need to treat regularly.  With DI engines, I just do not have that certainty, as there no specific claims related to its' effectiveness in said engines.  In fact, although you now find DI specific products on the market, there are still no studies of effectiveness of PI cleaners in DI systems.  The main concern being that due to the very high pressures involved in DI engines, deposits REALLY get stuck to the injectors and are VERY hard to remove.  So it is important to keep the fuel system clean ALL the time.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!