• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Well, this may be it, the last failure. P0301... Blown rings/motor

Started by TopherSho, March 09, 2019, 11:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

Quote from: TopherSho on March 25, 2019, 10:44:45 PM
im at 70k now

ETA: Disregard the rest of my reply below. Didn't realize you were 2010, so this probably doesn't apply to you. Sorry, man.

——————————

FWIW, you may want to consider checking your warranty guide (download available online). The fuel injectors may be covered under the 8 year / 80k mile "Emissions Performance Warranty".

I was out of standard warranty (due to time), but the Emissions Warranty covered my injector replacement.

They said they were only authorized to replace the one injector in my case, but if you failed half of them, maybe they will replace them all. Definitely worth asking!

Also, if you're not already at a Ford dealer, and you're inside the emissions performance warranty period, make sure you save the bad parts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

lamrith

Have to wonder if that had more to do with your plug fouling than the plug themselves.  I have not heard of anyone else having issues with colder plugs, I know I have not and I live farther north than you do by a few hundred miles.  Could be the fouling was a warning sign of the failing injectors that only showed as an issue when you put colder plugs in?

I agree with SHOdded, make sure they replace them ALL.  I had a buddy up here when I 1st got my SHO.  he had one go, replaced it, then couple months later another failed.  screwed the car up pretty good both times and cost him lot of money having it fixed and torn apart 2x.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

MiWiAu

Quote from: lamrith on March 26, 2019, 02:22:18 PM
Have to wonder if that had more to do with your plug fouling than the plug themselves.  I have not heard of anyone else having issues with colder plugs, I know I have not and I live farther north than you do by a few hundred miles.  Could be the fouling was a warning sign of the failing injectors that only showed as an issue when you put colder plugs in?

I don't have all my records in front of me for exact mileage, but I bought my XSport used (3 years old) with 28k miles. I swapped out what I assumed to be the OEM plugs at ~30k when I put in my tune. OEM plugs looked good, no signs of fouling, and were replaced with one step colder NGK at the advise of Torrie. I went through a tune with Torrie, then Brad, and had my #2 injector fail at around 34k miles. Only about 4k on the brand new plugs. #2 plug still looked great, other than being wet with fuel. I assumed mine was a random failure. The dealer would only replace the failed unit (under warranty), so I'm still running the original injectors on the other 5 cylinders (45k miles later and no issues... knock on wood), but I think SHOdded indicated earlier that a lot of these failures tend to occur on Bank 1? Makes me wonder if something else is just inherently wonky with the design or assembly process with bank 1 injectors.

Maybe having 3 injectors fail at once could be due to excessive fouling? Regardless, it certainly seems to be a freak failure to have all three go at the same time with no prior warning. I just wonder if it's too much of a stretch to try and compare this to the more "typical" single stuck injector that is seen more commonly?
2013 XSport

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on March 26, 2019, 01:17:56 AM
Injectors do fail.

1, 3 are bank 1, 5 is bank 2.

Most people find only 1 bank failing.  Make sure they replace ALL 6.

Yes sir, that was my reply. 

i must have looked at the wrong v6 layout..  its all three back plugs near the fire wall
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

TopherSho

Now i am a bit sad,  at 70k with the original water pump freaks me out a bit.  i was all set to replace it when the pulled the block.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

MiWiAu

Quote from: TopherSho on March 26, 2019, 03:18:57 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on March 26, 2019, 01:17:56 AM
Injectors do fail.

1, 3 are bank 1, 5 is bank 2.

Most people find only 1 bank failing.  Make sure they replace ALL 6.

Yes sir, that was my reply. 

i must have looked at the wrong v6 layout..  its all three back plugs near the fire wall

Wow, WTF is up with Bank 1? Do the longitudinal EB in F150 commonly have bank 1 injector issues as well, or is it more of a transverse thing? More heat on the rear bank with transverse mounting?
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Have not heard of injector issues on the F150, mostly CAC related stuff.

The transverse manifold is metal and has some baffling IIRC.  Do not know if same is true of the F150.  Could be heatsoak from that as well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I wholeheartedly Agree with SHOdded and the Rear Bank 1 is where the Heat soak accumulates.Pics of the Hood for reference below. Z

I wonder if any is related to the Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) & (PCM)
Fuel is metered directly into each combustion chamber.Fuel injectors pulse to follow engine firing order,in accordance with engine demand.
PCM controls the opening duration (Pulse width) of the Fuel injectors and maintain optimum exhaust emission control and engine performance for all operating conditions.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

miss-diagnosis.  blew#2 rings straight into the pan.   Mechanic thinks the injector failed at load,  filled the cylinder,  phyciscs did the rest.

well so much for this car.  im not putting 7k$ into a car i owe 7k$ on still.  i will just let it rot in the driveway.

MiWiAu

Damn dude, sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

ZSHO

Damn! Sorry to hear TopherSho and quite speechless @ the moment. Z  :(

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

802SHO

Very very sorry to hear the bad news Tophersho.  Speechless is right. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on March 29, 2019, 06:39:09 PM
Damn! Sorry to hear TopherSho and quite speechless @ the moment. Z  :(
Quote from: 802SHO on March 29, 2019, 08:34:39 PM
Very very sorry to hear the bad news Tophersho.  Speechless is right.
Quote from: MiWiAu on March 29, 2019, 06:22:18 PM
Damn dude, sorry to hear that.

Well i have words for this :P  all naughty.. but also super pissed at myself.  Never once considered the $%^&ing injectors to be a major concern..  but now that i have done some internetz .. big $$ mistake..

At bosh's 1 billion cycle rating *in a perfect lab* it makes tons of sense that it would happen eventually and i should have replaced the freaking pos bastards a year ago. 

Here in the real word with crappy gas, water, and real engine heat and grit i bet that 1 billion cycle rating drops quite a bit.  Add in we race the damn things and poor heat shielding on bank-1 and we can likely take a little more off the remaining duty cycles.   Dirty napkin math says with 16 hours a week driving, and 20% reduction on the rated duty cycles with a assumed 1800-2000 rpm average my injectors probably should have been preventatively replaced about a year ago 'to be safe' under a extreme duty cycle regime. whoops..

#$%^ ..... just ....... $$%%  .... never even looked at them once in the last 35k *hard* driving miles.

7k$ lesson right there.

So the update is this.  Wife said "BS that things sitting idle while we make payments on it,  and NO you cant have a SRT/hellcat.."  so against my (mostly)-BITTER better judgment were going to rebuild it. we will try for a 40-50k long block.. but failing that we're going remanned.

ugh... ugh ugh ugh.  then i have to decide to leave it stock or rod it back out.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on March 29, 2019, 06:13:17 PM
miss-diagnosis.  blew#2 rings straight into the pan.   Mechanic thinks the injector failed at load,  filled the cylinder,  phyciscs did the rest.

well so much for this car.  im not putting 7k$ into a car i owe 7k$ on still.  i will just let it rot in the driveway.
What exactly will you spend 14 grand on that is even close to your uber low mileage SHO in luxury and performance?

Edit- I see the wife stepped in, lol.

TopherSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 31, 2019, 01:55:49 AM
Quote from: TopherSho on March 29, 2019, 06:13:17 PM

What exactly will you spend 14 grand on that is even close to your uber low mileage SHO in luxury and performance?

Edit- I see the wife stepped in, lol.

Not only did she step in she opted for a new remanned block out of washington with a 3 year / 100k ..  So i guess were doing that?   I am shocked honestly.  I was ready to let it all go.. but i think shes too used to having two drivable cars.  She still shot down getting a model-3p though :P

So were about 3 weeks out .. to be continued. 

The block and heads and all will be new,  I have also ordered new water pump, and rubber bits and hot pipes.

so dumb question .. I'm REALLY happy with the Brad-tune i had.  And the new block and setup will be 'newer' and prone to LESS pre-igniton and support better timing with less carbon in the cylinders.  do i REALLY need to rebuild my tune from scratch?  If the turbo pressure delta is 'right' (requested and actual), spark is good and not causing knock, and ltft and stft show clean steady numbers would it be safe?