• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Re: Grinding noise while turning wheels in park and moving slowly.

Started by 4/SHO, March 06, 2019, 07:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4/SHO

Hello I'm new to this and need some help with traction. The car was dyno with 22in rims I am wondering if I'd do better with smaller rim/tire. I hear hankook and nittos are both very good but not sure which size... any input and advice would be appreciated. I ran an 11.95 first time at track on my 2nd out of 3 runs. Speed was slow at 106 oddly.  I do know my launch was to say the least SAD. The car is putting to the wheels 421hp and 450tq. Also I was running all season tires (big mistake) kinda chewed em up lol. Also had some wheel hop not to sure about all that but assuming has to do with tires.
Thanks again!
2011 SHO with a 2015 SHO engine. She started out as the 2011 SEMA SHO by Rick Bottom Designs. Which had the following-  H&R lowering springs, Baer Extreme brakes, 22 in axiom rims,  Razzi body kit, Corsa performance exhaust,  Airaid cold air intake,  no weeds exhaust diverted, and a few other items. I then took her to National Speed of Wilmington NC where I had bigger ATP turbos, firestorm high pressure fuel pump, catless downpipes, 170 Tstat, 3bar MAP, tial BOV,  EPP pipes,  colder spark plugs, and  HP tune.

ZSHO

Quote from: 4/SHO on March 06, 2019, 07:10:29 PM
Hello I'm new to this and need some help with traction. The car was dyno with 22in rims I am wondering if I'd do better with smaller rim/tire. I hear hankook and nittos are both very good but not sure which size... any input and advice would be appreciated. I ran an 11.95 first time at track on my 2nd out of 3 runs. Speed was slow at 106 oddly.  I do know my launch was to say the least SAD. The car is putting to the wheels 421hp and 450tq. Also I was running all season tires (big mistake) kinda chewed em up lol. Also had some wheel hop not to sure about all that but assuming has to do with tires.
Thanks again!
Time slip! What are your current Mods! Do add them to your signature. TIA. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

4/SHO

Will be going to Darlington SC this Wednesday weather permitting.  Sadly was closed today due to cold weather. I added some mods also.
2011 SHO with a 2015 SHO engine. She started out as the 2011 SEMA SHO by Rick Bottom Designs. Which had the following-  H&R lowering springs, Baer Extreme brakes, 22 in axiom rims,  Razzi body kit, Corsa performance exhaust,  Airaid cold air intake,  no weeds exhaust diverted, and a few other items. I then took her to National Speed of Wilmington NC where I had bigger ATP turbos, firestorm high pressure fuel pump, catless downpipes, 170 Tstat, 3bar MAP, tial BOV,  EPP pipes,  colder spark plugs, and  HP tune.

4/SHO

ZSHO

Quote from: 4/SHO on March 06, 2019, 09:08:55 PM
Do you think I'm better off going to a smaller tire?
I would say that your Traction issue is most likely related to the 22 inch wheels IMO which affects the AWD capabilities and should be compensated with Tuning! Smaller wheel pattern and tires should be considered while so many variables play a significant role especially at the track in cold weather.
I would stick with the stock size setup for optimum performance. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

4/SHO

Thank you appreciate any help. I will go down to 20in on the track and just swap out. Do you recommend any particular tire?

Macgyver

Any street legal soft compound tire. Nitto. Firestone. Pirelli. Etc etc

Tire pressure is everything and will help with wheel hop. I think most run 24-26psi.

You can try adjusting your tire size in the settings of your dash but thats not optimal with 22" rims. I would assume you have low profile tires the and you need a sidewall to race. Think of a dragster when its launching.

Also Engine/transmission mounts. Upgrade them.

4/SHO

Awesome appreciate your help!
I'm not sure how to start a new subject but today I heard some noise like clicking in the front end while in reverse.  Any thoughts on that? Or where should I seek advice on this matter? Again thanks!

4/SHO

Quote from: 4/SHO on March 08, 2019, 05:34:26 PM
I'm not sure how to start a new subject but today I heard some noise like clicking in the front end while in reverse.  Any thoughts on that? Or where should I seek advice on this matter? Again thanks!
I've been searching for upgraded engine/ transmission mounts and can't find any.

4/SHO

Quote from: Macgyver on March 08, 2019, 12:20:29 AM
Any street legal soft compound tire. Nitto. Firestone. Pirelli. Etc etc

Tire pressure is everything and will help with wheel hop. I think most run 24-26psi.

You can try adjusting your tire size in the settings of your dash but thats not optimal with 22" rims. I would assume you have low profile tires the and you need a sidewall to race. Think of a dragster when its launching.

Also Engine/transmission mounts. Upgrade them.
I've been searching for upgraded mounts but cannot find.

ZSHO

Quote from: 4/SHO on March 08, 2019, 05:34:26 PM
It sounds like your wheel Hubs (bearings) are faulty! Is it coming from the Drivers or passenger side wheel! Did you happen to check for codes!
Feel free to start a new Topic by following the below link. Z   :)

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,141.0.html

4/SHO

Hello I am experiencing a grinding noise and I slight feeling in the steering wheel. It is especially loud while in park but I can also hear at slow speeds. I'm wondering if I power braked to high earlier during a launch...  anyway car is making a weird noise that doesn't sound good. Don't know if I'm hurting me by driving...

Macgyver

avidmotion

Let us know what you find on the noise and any upgrade trans or engine mounts...
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.