• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2015 SHO PP ruff idle slow to start but power is still there

Started by EAST TX SHO, March 08, 2019, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAST TX SHO

2015 SHO with Performance Pack
82k miles
ALWAYS use 93 octane... name brand stations
Today - car turns over a few times more before firing up.
Rough idle - intermitent - ruff, lower than normal idle, idle varying... other times normal
stomp on it, and power seems normal.
Dont see any vacuum hoses loose or disconnected.
Last tank of premium was 200 miles before problems started.
HAD a check engine light... now its gone.
ideas?
I have a FORD ESP warranty to 125k miles, but I am not near my prefered dealer.
17 Explorer Sport Twin Turbo
15 SHO PP hard loaded

93 SHO

SHOdded

When did you change the battery last?  What are the CCAs on it at the present time?  Might still be a code in the PCM, check that.  Do you leave an OBD adapter plugged in?

After all that could be an EVAP purge valve lol.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

X2- Battery original! Did you notice the Battery saver pop up on Sync screen!
Check for corrosion on battery terminals. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

EAST TX SHO

New battery 10 months ago.
Turns over strong. just takes a few extra revolutions to start.
PLUS once its running, battery isnt in use... so how does battery affect ruff idle.
(THANKS for reaching out)
15 SHO PP hard loaded

93 SHO

TopherSho

Quote from: EAST TX SHO on March 08, 2019, 07:27:17 PM
2015 SHO with Performance Pack
82k miles
ALWAYS use 93 octane... name brand stations
Today - car turns over a few times more before firing up.
Rough idle - intermitent - ruff, lower than normal idle, idle varying... other times normal
stomp on it, and power seems normal.
Dont see any vacuum hoses loose or disconnected.
Last tank of premium was 200 miles before problems started.
HAD a check engine light... now its gone.
ideas?
I have a FORD ESP warranty to 125k miles, but I am not near my prefered dealer.

If there are no codes,  i will go with a leaky injector;  and or bad plug/cop ... or more likely unmetered air that is low enough volume to not matter under load.

get a data log of the rough idle ..  im not sure what to look for with unmetered air,  but a spiking stft from leaking injectors would be noticeable.  any chance you ran injector cleaner or had the dealer clean the fuel system?

Last thought .. also pull a plug and have someone scope the back of your vavles .. gunked valves will cause air mix issues and lead to bad ignition
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SHOdded

At idle is when the generator is making the least amps.  Depending on the items consuming power at the time, such as with remote start with auto climate control and dashcam and phone charger and audio system and headlamps etc, the battery might have to provide supplemental power to keep everything running.

I would check the code, if it is P045x, it is very likely the purge valve.  Did you first see it happening after a fuelup by any chance?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I think SHOdded is correct that the Purge Valve is a likely culprit as the Valve could be stuck open and sometimes fail sooner than later.  Z

Here's my very own Dedicated thread below.   

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7133.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

EAST TX SHO

Check engine light went out - everything back to normal.
Can I still get a code reading if the light is out - is it stored?
I had about 200 miles on the most recent tank of gas... less than 1/2 full when it started stumbing.
15 SHO PP hard loaded

93 SHO

SHOdded

CELs are only for major issues.  the remaining codes are in the PCM and do not trigger a CEL.  You HAVE to check the PCM for codes, one way or the other.