• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 XSport - DTC P0016 - Camshaft Position Correlation, Bank 1

Started by MiWiAu, March 05, 2019, 10:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebutler92

My 2014 Explorer sport has come up with a similar issue. The other day I noticed a stutter/engine shake during light acceleration under load. Shortly after during my drive an engine light came on and I scanned it resulting in a P00016 code. I immediately replaced the specified cam sensor that my reader recommended and cleared the light. Upon driving after replacement, the light hasn't come back but the stuttering/shaking continues. Research is showing a possible timing chain issue as well. Any other insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Sounds like the beginning of timing chain/tensioner failure.  Will eventually destroy the water pump as well.  Best advice is to take it in and have it serviced as soon as possible.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: ebutler92 on March 08, 2019, 10:01:36 AM
My 2014 Explorer sport has come up with a similar issue. The other day I noticed a stutter/engine shake during light acceleration under load. Shortly after during my drive an engine light came on and I scanned it resulting in a P00016 code. I immediately replaced the specified cam sensor that my reader recommended and cleared the light. Upon driving after replacement, the light hasn't come back but the stuttering/shaking continues. Research is showing a possible timing chain issue as well. Any other insight?

How much have you driven it since clearing the code?

I got the P0016 code once last winter (about a year ago) on a very cold day and cleared it, and it didn't come back again until last week.  I thought it was a fluke due to persistent sub-zero temps.

CEL came on again last week with P0016 code. I immediately cleared it, and it came back 24 hours later (~80 miles). I left the code this time and the CEL stayed on for 3 days/~120 mi before turning off again on its own. Came on again the following morning after ~20 miles.

The following day, I swapped the CPS bank 1/2 sensors, cleared the codes, and P0016 came back again the next day, so the code did not move with the sensor, and it was persistent in triggering the fault.

That's when I decided to take it to the dealer. If I had to do it over again, I would have shopped the repair at a couple of repair facilities, but my situation did not afford me the luxury of time to do this, and I'm paying for it (literally).

TL/DR: You may just need to drive a little more before it comes back on, but unfortunately I doubt it will go away on its own.

2013 XSport

ebutler92

Since reading this thread and a few others I have scheduled to have the timing chain/water pump replaced ASAP. Luckily when I purchased this sport I bought an extended warranty so hopefully this should only cost me my deductible.

MiWiAu

Quote from: ebutler92 on March 08, 2019, 10:01:36 AM
My 2014 Explorer sport has come up with a similar issue.

Research is showing a possible timing chain issue as well. Any other insight?

Also, just curious, how many miles do you have on your XSport?

If it is confirmed to be a timing chain, I would recommend lodging a formal complaint with Ford Customer Care.

IMHO, this failure (in my case at 74k miles) is a joke. I pleaded with the service manager and Ford Customer Care for some repair assistance, but they refused, since I am out of warranty. Both told me to save my repair invoice in case Ford launches a repair campaign in the future (possible reimbursement). I won't hold my breath, but  going to file away that receipt.

If complaints keep rolling in, maybe Ford will eventually do the right thing.

Makes me wonder if we'll see a lot more of these as the earlier Gen 5 Explorer Sports are getting some miles on them. :(

2013 XSport

SHOdded

Since you are out of pocket, Mike, be sure to get the old parts back and post pics.  If you had warranty, they generally refuse to give you the old parts back.  Let's see what was in your XSport.  Should be the dual toothed water pump and appropriate timing chain, but let's see.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: ebutler92 on March 08, 2019, 10:34:22 AM
Since reading this thread and a few others I have scheduled to have the timing chain/water pump replaced ASAP. Luckily when I purchased this sport I bought an extended warranty so hopefully this should only cost me my deductible.

Good luck! Getting it done under warranty ought to also get it on Ford's radar.

Glad to hear you have the ESP, because I have a serious case of the woulda/coulda/shouldas right now! :P

Keep us posted on the diagnosis!

2013 XSport

ebutler92

Mine actually just rolled 100k last week. So significantly more mileage than yours. I've also ordered a catch can for mine. Been smelling a oil burning odor from the car recently as well. My first ecoboost so I'm new to all these issues.

SHOdded

SHOdded

Oil burning may be a valve cover and/or turbo issue most likely.

ebutler92

Does the engine always get pulled for this repair? If so my extended warranty covers gaskets and what not as well. Might as well have him to it all if it's out.

SHOdded

Depends on the shop.  The manual says no need, but I see dealer AND nondealer shops pulling the engine anyway.

MiWiAu

Quote from: ebutler92 on March 08, 2019, 10:41:20 AM
Mine actually just rolled 100k last week. So significantly more mileage than yours. I've also ordered a catch can for mine. Been smelling a oil burning odor from the car recently as well. My first ecoboost so I'm new to all these issues.

I don't want to jinx you, but the burning oil smell might be the PTU. That should also be covered under the ESP as well. I'd have them look at that when you bring it in for the code, so you don't have to pay your deductible twice.

EDIT: The burning oil smell and the shudder/vibration you are experiencing during acceleration are both potential symptoms of a PTU on its way out.

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on March 08, 2019, 10:41:51 AM
Always get the old parts back.

I called the SA and asked for the old parts.

What do you do with the old parts other than post sweet pictures to EBPF? :)

I assume for something like a PTU replacement, there's a notable core charge.

I've always done my own service, so never saved anything, but this job was more than I had time for.

2013 XSport

SHOdded

you are paying out of pocket, no such thing as a core charge.  they may give you a refund if you let them keep the old parts, IDK, you would have to ask.