• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 XSport - DTC P0016 - Camshaft Position Correlation, Bank 1

Started by MiWiAu, March 05, 2019, 10:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

Hey guys!

Long time, no see! Hope you all are well! I dropped the Exploder off at the dealer this AM for a P0016 code (Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A).

This past weekend, I swapped the bank 1/bank 2 cam position sensors and cleared codes, and the DTC reappeared a couple days later - still P0016, so the DTC did not follow the sensor. :(

Does anybody happen to know if there was ever a formal TSB issued for the transverse GTDI relating to P0016? After some searching, I see some for the F150, but I can't find any that cover Taurus or Explorer.

Unfortunately, I don't have an ESP, and baby #2 just showed up in late January, so this repair bill should be timed perfectly with all the medical bills.   :bananafuck:

For reference the ODO was at 74,6XX miles when I dropped it off this morning. As far as symptoms are concerned, other than the CEL that came on last week, I have experienced an occasional slight rough idle over the last two years. By "occasional" I mean maybe one drive cycle every couple/three weeks it would idle slightly rough when in park or stopped in drive. Nothing crazy, and no CEL, but just different enough from "normal" to catch my attention. No other power, driveability, or fuel economy issues have been experienced. I can't say I've heard any cold-start rattle either, but frankly, I'm not sure what exactly timing chain rattle sounds like. If it's there, it's subtle, and I'm not picking it up.

For posterity, I will update with the diagnosis when I hear back from the dealer.

Stay tuned! (Unless you need to make a dealer trip, then stay stock!)  :chay:
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Oh boy, sorry to hear this!  Usually means either a cam position sensor needs replacement (low probability), or the timing chains/guides are shot (high probability).  Often results in a failed water pump as it kills the bearings.

I do hope they find a wiring problem of some kind, would be a much less expensive fix.

And congrats on the new-addition-in-progress! :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on March 05, 2019, 12:14:32 PM
Oh boy, sorry to hear this!  Usually means either a cam position sensor needs replacement (low probability), or the timing chains/guides are shot (high probability).  Often results in a failed water pump as it kills the bearings.

I do hope they find a wiring problem of some kind, would be a much less expensive fix.

And congrats on the new-addition-in-progress! :D

Bummer! That's kind of what I figured. I think I've ruled out the CPS with my sensor swap exercise.

Thanks for the heads up on the water pump. If they recommend timing chain/guide replacement, I will ask about the up-charge for the water pump as well.

Thanks, Manu!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(  Hopefully the focus on the arrival of your next child will more than make up for it :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on March 05, 2019, 01:25:07 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(  Hopefully the focus on the arrival of your next child will more than make up for it :)

Baby #2 is already here (as of Jan 24). If there's another one on the way that I don't know about, then I definitely have bigger problems than a timing chain. :)

2013 XSport

SHOdded

SURPRISE!!! LOL!

Congrats, post a coupla pics of the new kid on the block!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on March 05, 2019, 02:00:05 PM
SURPRISE!!! LOL!

Here's the newest addition, James Ernest. Incidentally, I just got off the phone with the service advisor at the dealership, and I was making the exact same faces as he told me the damage...

Dealer confirmed a timing chain and all related parts need to be replaced - $3230. I asked them to do a water pump as well, which brought the total out-the-door cost to $3481. Ouch!!!

2013 XSport

bpd1151

I think James is spot on in mimicking his father's own expressions. Way to go kid!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MiWiAu

Quote from: bpd1151 on March 05, 2019, 05:30:36 PM
I think James is spot on in mimicking his father's own expressions. Way to go kid!

Dude, that is AWESOME! Thanks for that!

2013 XSport

bpd1151

You're welcome. Hopefully it provides some stress relief of/from the impending repairs.

Beautiful baby. Congrats to you, Mom, siblings, and all ancillary family.

Very cool.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Quote from: MiWiAu on March 05, 2019, 04:41:37 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on March 05, 2019, 02:00:05 PM
SURPRISE!!! LOL!

Here's the newest addition, James Ernest. Incidentally, I just got off the phone with the service advisor at the dealership, and I was making the exact same faces as he told me the damage...

Dealer confirmed a timing chain and all related parts need to be replaced - $3230. I asked them to do a water pump as well, which brought the total out-the-door cost to $3481. Ouch!!!
The kid is apparently a born to MEME model LOL.  Very cute!

Call up Brian at BSG Automotive in IL.  You may be able to get the job done for half the price if you can skedaddle over there ... Also known as FordTechMakuloco on YT.  He does these jobbies pretty regularly.

ZSHO

Congrats on the newest addition to the Family Mike. Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MiWiAu

For future reference, I've attached the repair estimate, which includes the cost of the water pump.

I got a note from the SA around lunch that everything is apart, and they are in the process of putting all the new parts in and getting it back together.

Edited to add a sad picture:

2013 XSport

ebutler92

My 2014 Explorer sport has come up with an issue. Ithe other day I noticed a stutter/engine shake during light acceleration under load. Shortly after during my drive an engine light came on and I scanned it resulting in a P00016 code. I immediately replaced the specified cam sensor that my reader recommended and cleared the light. Upon driving after replacement, the light hasn't come back but the stuttering/shaking continues. Research is showing a possible timing chain issue. Any insight?

ZSHO

Welcome there ebutler92! Here's a most recent thread that will shed some insight with the PO016.
Due setup an Intro by following the below link! TIA.  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,9785.msg147328/topicseen.html#new

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|