• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

BENDIX & WAGNER Rotors!

Started by ZSHO, March 01, 2019, 05:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

Quote from: r1crusher on March 20, 2019, 11:45:59 PM
Hey Z...did you compare the 5.0 pads vs. the LTS?  If so why the decision to go with the 5.0?

Just looking at the pad characteristics it looks like the LTS would give you greater thermal range and minimally sacrifice some noise.  All the other characteristics were basically identical.
True indeed! I just wanted the newer version brake Pads on the market for comparison! Thanks.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

Brake Pad "Break in procedure for "Severe Duty" vehicles" Bulletin BPI 09-06

Subject: Brake Pad Burnishing
Vehicle Involved:   Severe Duty applications, such as police service or before track testing
Condition: After replacing brake pads
Repair Procedure:   When replacing brake pads, a "break-in" or "burnishing" procedure is recommended to properly condition both the brake pads and brake rotors for best service and long life.
The burnish process, if done correctly, does at least three things to the pads and/or the rotor:

1.   Physically and thermally converts the composition of the pad and/or rotor surfaces.
2.   Smoothes the asperities (roughness, unevenness) of the mating surfaces.
3.   Heat cycles the entire pad structure.
For anticipated severe duty, such as police service, or before track testing, a more intensive burnish procedure should be performed.
This recommended procedure is:
•   8 moderate brake applications from 40 to 10 mph at approximately ¼-mile intervals.
•   8 somewhat harder brake applications from 60 to 10 mph at approximately ½-mile intervals.
•   Drive 1.5 miles
•   * 5 hard (but less than ABS) applications from 80 to 20 mph at 3/4-mile intervals. Drive at least two miles after last application.
•   Allow brakes to cool at least 15 minutes either by parking the vehicle or continuing to drive at moderate speeds with minimal brake applications.

*If practical. If not, repeat the 60 to 10 mph section.
The brake friction materials and rotors are now ready for service.
Notes:
1.   The "hard" applications do not need to be at precise deceleration rates as the amount of energy dissipated will be the same.
2.   Some odor and smoke from the brakes is normal during and after the 60 and 80 mph sections.
3.   Even after completion of this procedure some fade, odor, and smoke may occur initially if the vehicle is immediately subjected to hard high speed braking.

"Break in procedure for daily driver vehicles" Bulletin BPI 09-05

Subject: Brake Pad Burnishing
Vehicle Involved: All Normal "Street" vehicles
Condition: After replacing brake pads
Repair Procedure: When replacing brake pads, a "break-in" or "burnishing" procedure is recommended to properly condition both the brake pads and brake rotors for best service and long life.
The burnish process, if done correctly, does at least three things to the pads and/or the rotor:

1.   Physically and thermally converts the composition of the pad and/or rotor surfaces.
2.   Smoothes the asperities (roughness, unevenness) of the mating surfaces.
3.   Heat cycles the entire pad structure.
For "normal" street service 8 to 10 moderate applications from 40-10 mph is sufficient. Then allow the brakes to cool for at least 15 minutes either by parking the vehicle or continuing to drive at moderate speeds with minimal brake applications.

"When replacing brakes, make sure to lubricate all necessary parts to help reduce noise and other issues. The inside of the brake box will identify all the necessary parts that need to be lubricated."

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

r1crusher

I was quite interested in finding these same rotors but it would appear they have suddenly become difficult to come by.  I have found that Raybestos has some very similar rotors (680982PER and 680983PER) and they are more readily available.  Now I to decide on some decent performing pads.

Still looking forward to hearing how your setup performs, Z.
'13 SHO, AJP Tune w/ 3-Bar
'17 F-250 6.7 PowerStroke
'17 XSport

ZSHO

Quote from: r1crusher on March 26, 2019, 10:58:42 PM
I was quite interested in finding these same rotors but it would appear they have suddenly become difficult to come by.  I have found that Raybestos has some very similar rotors (680982PER and 680983PER) and they are more readily available.  Now I to decide on some decent performing pads.

Still looking forward to hearing how your setup performs, Z.
The Raybestos is the best alternatives to the ACDELCO and are pretty much identical and have the same pattern designed with S-Groove slots.
No worries Kevin I'm currently installing the rears and will keep you updated on all counts. Z  :)

FRONT

$62.79  ea.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8826148&cc=1503823&jsn=10542&jsn=10542

REARS

$41.79 ea

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8826156&cc=1503823&jsn=10535&jsn=10535

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1503823,brake+&+wheel+hub,rotor,1896

Macgyver

Yep I was thinking Raybestos all the way around for rotors and PP pads. Pad decision is way harder than the rotors thats for sure.

r1crusher

Quote from: Macgyver on March 27, 2019, 08:16:50 PM
Pad decision is way harder than the rotors thats for sure.

^----This!----^

There are a number of "Severe Duty/Police" pads available also which I'm leaning towards.  I needed to make a decision like last week because driving the F250 isn't nearly as exciting.  :P
'13 SHO, AJP Tune w/ 3-Bar
'17 F-250 6.7 PowerStroke
'17 XSport

ZSHO

Here are a couple of before and after Pics of the Rear Rotors for comparison.  :)
Need to bleed the brakes for good measures and found the Front Caliper had corroded and there was corrosion around the outer end of the caliper bore. Cleaning it up with a Dremel tool kit cured the issue of binding without delay.
Pics of the Calipers below.

The overall pedal feel is much firmer than before and will need to wait a couple of hundred miles for the brake in period. Z

Front Calipers

Rear Rotors

SM105K

Looks great Z.  How does your fluid look?  I cycled mine because it was red.  Pedal feel felt better after cycling it.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

ZSHO

Quote from: sm105k on March 29, 2019, 02:33:44 PM
Looks great Z.  How does your fluid look?  I cycled mine because it was red.  Pedal feel felt better after cycling it.
The Brake fluid looked Golden Honey,as it was changed early last year using Motul RBF 600 Factory Line Dot-4 Racing Brake Fluid,thanks. Z

avidmotion

Wow, sexy rotors!
I liked the hospital n the 5.0 Hawks great pads. I like my current cost effective set up. UBC RK sport rotors PP pads.
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

ddlopes

Z is there any thing I should watch out for while I'm bleeding my brakes. I thought I read somewhere a special tool is needed.
2013 SHO P/P mods: EcoPower Parts dual CAI, 3 bar, PPE catted down pipe, SCT X4, 170 degree thermostat, SNOW PERFORMANCE methanol stage 3 with ProMeth staineless steel braided lines, AeroForce gauges, Hot pipes, custom boost activated cutout xpipe, tial bov, Tial Wastegate mod, GH intercooler, MSD coils, AFE throttle spacer, UPR catch can, Rovos Durban wheels, AJP tuned to 389hp and 503trq on mustang dyno

ZSHO

Quote from: ddlopes on March 31, 2019, 04:46:32 PM
Z is there any thing I should watch out for while I'm bleeding my brakes. I thought I read somewhere a special tool is needed.
Vacuum bleeder,to bleeder screw! Z

$32.99

https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html

ddlopes

Ok thanks Z. I have a Snap-on vacuum bleeder I use for my motorcycle. I'll be using that to swap out the brake fluid.  Btw ....love how the new rotors look!!! Hopefully after you put some miles on them you'll do a review. Thanks again for your help...!!!
2013 SHO P/P mods: EcoPower Parts dual CAI, 3 bar, PPE catted down pipe, SCT X4, 170 degree thermostat, SNOW PERFORMANCE methanol stage 3 with ProMeth staineless steel braided lines, AeroForce gauges, Hot pipes, custom boost activated cutout xpipe, tial bov, Tial Wastegate mod, GH intercooler, MSD coils, AFE throttle spacer, UPR catch can, Rovos Durban wheels, AJP tuned to 389hp and 503trq on mustang dyno

ZSHO

FYI-I received quite a few Pm on this setup and here is a Brief Update On the ACDELCO & Raybestos NEW "S-GROOVE" SLOT DESIGN Rotors and Hawk 5.0 Brake pads.

I installed this Brake Setup less than 2 weeks ago and just wanted to Break-in (Mate) these Brakes accordingly to manufactures Specifications before posting my initial impressions,while my experience has ultimately been Good thus far.  :)

I must admit my initial thoughts were a bit disappointing because the Hawk 5.0 Brake Pads did not respond or Grip like the Stock Setup which gripped quickly with the slightest Touch while cold and the Hawk pads do require a bit more pedal pressure for quick stops,but do come through and stop on a Dime.

FYI-Beware that the OEM Stock Pads are Built to perform more on the Cold side versus High performance Brake Pads which perform lineal when Braking,so initially did not expect them to Bite like the Oem the or until Fully warmed up.

I noticed the past week the brakes are starting to Feel more aggressive as the days progress and gripped quickly with a moderate Pedal touch and are Performing much better than the first week which proves that the Bedding procedure sometimes may take weeks or up to 200-400 miles in order for the Rotors and Pads to start performing the way you would expect!

The only Negative so far is they are a slight Bit noisier than the Stock Setup when applying the Brakes Hard due to the "S-GROOVE" SLOT AFAIK

Conclusion- Its starting to get some of that initial Bite (Feel) that the Oem Pads had with Far less Brake Dust which is a Positive and overall a happy Camper with zero regrets. 

I also performed a Brake system Flush once again using Motul RBF 600 Factory Synthetic Brake Fluid for a peace of mind. Z :)

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LEYJO4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.raysbestbrakes.com/raybestos_rotors.php

Raybestos® R300 Rotors: LESS PEDAL EFFORT, MORE BRAKING POWER
FEEL THE ADVANTAGE OF NEW "S-GROOVE" SLOT DESIGNS ENGINEERED FOR STRONGER BITE, SMOOTHER BRAKING AND INCREASED PAD LIFE • The Best possible pedal feel thanks to maximized pad to rotor surface contact • Pad life increased up to 30% by preventing brake fade and promoting out-gassing • Superior "panic-stop" braking due to high-flow, clog resistant vane designs • Less prone to cracking that takes place on traditional drilled rotor designs SEE THE RESULTS OF TWO CORROSION-RESISTANT COATING FORMULATED FOR OPTIMAL COOLING, AND PREMIUM RUST PROTECTION • Premium appearance and longevity because protective formula covers entire rotor surface • Rust-free edges, vanes and rotor hat credited to all-weatherdefense polymer coating • Withstands 300 hours of saltwater exposure as proven by salt spray test regulation ASTM-B117 • Prevents edge lift by presenting the most favorable contact surface for a brake pad.

BRAKE TECH: BRAKE PAD & ROTOR BED-IN PROCEDURES

BRAKE TECH: HAWK BRAKE PAD COMPOUNDS (STREET)

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=316

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

SHOdded

The only cautionary note I would have with aftermarket fluid in 2013+ SHOs is that DOT 4 LV is specified.  This fluid is low viscosity, and meant to improve ABS/traction control in lower temps.  There are a couple of mfrs that make compliant fluid, but match up specs to be sure.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!