• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Cool GearHead intercooler data

Started by AJP turbo, February 23, 2019, 11:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Just going through some data and found this interesting and relevant to you nerds out there. These logs are over a year apart but very similar. I can't really chalk up a measurable difference...It's like 6 to one and half dozen to the other...A couple small factors cancel each other out so it's hard to isolate.

Pre-intercooler:
13.5 psi target
ambient 68
WGDC 53-58%

Post intercooler:
13.75 psi
ambient 78
WGDC 58-66%

So bigger intercooler  had a slight increase in turbo wgdc but it was warmer AND the target boost was 1/4 psi higher so both of those would increase wgdc alone....If you take the temp and boost out of it then that would drop wgdc...So even with those differences in conditions the logs are pretty similar. But this is a sea level FLorida car and turbos are good so no problem at all making  that boost.

And also interesting is that load is nearly identical with warmer ambient temps  but lower IAT's

Spark was a couple degrees higher at higher boost in warmer ambients so that's a triple  whammy for the good

The ultimate is going to be the intercooler and upgraded HPFP
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

mattr66

Quote from: AJP turbo on February 23, 2019, 11:55:24 PM
Just going through some data and found this interesting and relevant to you nerds out there. These logs are over a year apart but very similar. I can't really chalk up a measurable difference...It's like 6 to one and half dozen to the other...A couple small factors cancel each other out so it's hard to isolate.

Pre-intercooler:
13.5 psi target
ambient 68
WGDC 53-58%

Post intercooler:
13.75 psi
ambient 78
WGDC 58-66%

So bigger intercooler  had a slight increase in turbo wgdc but it was warmer AND the target boost was 1/4 psi higher so both of those would increase wgdc alone....If you take the temp and boost out of it then that would drop wgdc...So even with those differences in conditions the logs are pretty similar. But this is a sea level FLorida car and turbos are good so no problem at all making  that boost.

And also interesting is that load is nearly identical with warmer ambient temps  but lower IAT's

Spark was a couple degrees higher at higher boost in warmer ambients so that's a triple  whammy for the good

I could be real nice and give you the higher wg values....LOL  If you are using the forced tip scalar, it disables a bunch of calculations that help keep things in check.    You should be trying to achieve a load of 1.65 with the intercooler...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

Quote from: mattr66 on February 24, 2019, 12:29:44 AM
Quote from: AJP turbo on February 23, 2019, 11:55:24 PM

Pre-intercooler:
13.5 psi target
ambient 68
WGDC 53-58%

Post intercooler:
13.75 psi
ambient 78
WGDC 58-66%

I could be real nice and give you the higher wg values....LOL  If you are using the forced tip scalar, it disables a bunch of calculations that help keep things in check.    You should be trying to achieve a load of 1.65 with the intercooler...

I am not using the forced TIP switch. But interestingly enough I was looking at load and it ranged from 1.62 to 1.59 throughout the 3rd gear sweep so pretty close eh? I'm liking the IC!

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Really good info here!  I think at the end of the day, there are some tweaks to the tune that need to be made to optimize use of the intercooler?

I think it would also depend on how your tuner is tuning right? I know I loaded my LMS tune and it worked but according to Matt it wasn't optimized. I know that my WGDC on the LMS before and after was different.

Here is a snippet of load vs wgdc between the E30 LMS tune I am running before and after IC install. Same temps outside.. Before I would peak at 72% and the curve was a bit flatter. After I would peak over 80% and the curve is not as flat.. same load same weather.

StealBlueSho

Also, with the upgraded GH intercooler the LMS tune wasn't hitting the same boost.. it was just under by a few kpa in third after the spike.. where as before it was was always a few OVER desired. I am sure the small amount of boost lost is made up with the colder charge and full spark.. so it works as a drop in upgrade with LMS.. but as Matt said.. its not optimized for it either.. 

bpd1151

Quote from: StealBlueSho on February 24, 2019, 09:42:05 AMIt's not optimized for it either...

Knowing you though BJ, It WILL be optimized for it eventually, as you've consistently displayed good follow up/follow through.

Speaking of following up and consistency. Why have you not updated your username yet?

Your Steel Blue is but yet a distant memory. Your now newer and current Blue Jean's color should reflect your BJ status accordingly.

After all, everyone likes a good, friendly BJ.

LOL.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mattr66

PV=nRT.... Let's not forget that fellas... Also the model isn't perfect in the Ford software and needs some manual tweaks.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on February 24, 2019, 09:57:25 AM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on February 24, 2019, 09:42:05 AMIt's not optimized for it either...

Knowing you though BJ, It WILL be optimized for it eventually, as you've consistently displayed good follow up/follow through.

Speaking of following up and consistency. Why have you not updated your username yet?

Your Steel Blue is but yet a distant memory. Your now newer and current Blue Jean's color should reflect your BJ status accordingly.

After all, everyone likes a good, friendly BJ.

LOL.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

As far as optimized.. if I have a tune from a tuner, I always want it to be optimized for the modifications I have running. I am working with LMS on getting information and updated quotes for some things for sure.. I know the GH tunes are optimized for the modifications I am running as of today.

... I am regretting already the temp change I made to my handle for the brief period in which it was used.... fml...

ClearwaterSHO

Following, since it is my car.

Best I could do at the track yesterday was 13.0X @ 105. Previous times are below in my signature before IC.
2013 NON-PP SHO Tuxedo Black
Unleashed 3 Bar Tune -12.865 @ 106.5
AJP POWERED Tune - 12.59 @ 108.?

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on February 24, 2019, 10:26:40 AM

Best I could do at the track yesterday was 13.0X @ 105. Previous times are below in my signature before IC.

Was the tune adjusted for the IC? What's the DA/temp difference between your 12.6-12.8 and your recent 13.x?

ClearwaterSHO

Quote from: BJSHO on February 24, 2019, 10:55:25 AM
Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on February 24, 2019, 10:26:40 AM

Was the tune adjusted for the IC? What's the DA/temp difference between your 12.6-12.8 and your recent 13.x?

It was 84 degrees out according to the data I found. the 12.59 was at Cleetus and Cars in November of 2017 @ Bradenton Motorsports Park.

12.59 run
Temp: 84 Degrees
DA: 1840

13.0 Run Yesterday
Temp: 84 Degrees
DA: 1796

The 12.59 came from E30 tune vs yesterday was 93 Octane only, so I don't think it is fair to compare the two. I don't remember the DA or the day I did the 12.8 on 93. It was a random TnT at the same track.

Different track, but the local 8th by my house, I've run 7.95 before IC which would calculate to a lower 12. So the car has run even faster than 12.59 had I been on a 1/4 mile track. The 60ft is where I saw the biggest drop. I was seeing 1.9 to 2.1 vs 1.7 to 1.8.
2013 NON-PP SHO Tuxedo Black
Unleashed 3 Bar Tune -12.865 @ 106.5
AJP POWERED Tune - 12.59 @ 108.?

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

Colorado-SHOBro

Loving all the data coming from the new IC so far.
However i'm curious what effects it might have on my car at altitude. stock turbos in the 90% DC range don't allow for much wiggle room. i'm guessing boost may need to be dialed back a good bit to make it all work harmoniously.
Don't you miss tuning my car Brad!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.