• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 SHO tuned w/Meth... BOOST issue

Started by Rich196, February 18, 2019, 05:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich196

Hey guy's, it's been a while since I have been on here. I ended up buying a bass boat, and pretty much car was sitting in garage, and driving it every now and then. On Christmas this year, me and the wife decided to surprise my son, and gave him the keys to my car for him to own. (yea, wish my parents gave me a christmas gift like that...LOL) anyway, at the time we gave him the car, it had 40,100 miles on it and running fine. In the last month or so, it has lost power, and boost is low. On the tune I have in the car, the waste gate was always very loud when it exhausted, which I loved (cause it sounded cool..LOL). I took it for a ride the other day, starts fine, idles great, and seems to run very smooth, the first time you get on it, boost comes up to like 12psi, and you cannot hear the waste gate anymore, , after that first time, boost will top out about 8psi, with the tune, it would always get like 20psi. I'm not sure where to start looking for the problem. Like I mentioned, car seems to run great, no idiot lights on dash are on, no codes or anything come up. Car is a 2013 Taurus SHO, tuned/ Corsa exhaust, w/Meth, and has like 43,000 miles on it.   Thank you for any info.   Rich 

2013 Taurus SHO w/PP, K&N Intake, PPE catted. downpipes, AIS water/meth kit (trunk mounted) ,H&R lowering springs,170 stat, 3-bar sensor, TORRIE UNLEASHED TUNED !!!  12.14 @116mph. Stay tuned for the 11's (with stock turbo's)................

SHOdded

turbo piping first and foremost - loose pipes, loose clamps, or cracked pipes. no puns intended in any of those terms :D

I doubt the hoses have come off the controller atop the manifold (you know, the unclamped hoses), they usually throw a code if that happens, but ...

The orange seal on the blowoff valves also tends to tear, will not set a code.

Check and clean the IAT and MAP sensors - not thinking of this as a primary issue tho.

Check and clean the intercooler ... again, not a primary suspect.

How are the lambdas behaving?  Any possibility the o2 sensors are suspect?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

The way you describe the situation it sounds odd from the begginning ...these have internal wastegates and it's plumbed into the exhaust so you shouldn't hear anything really

And if you are running near 20 psi  the wastegates would be mostly shut anyway in order to achieve that much boost and at high rpm I bet your wastegates duty is near 100 meaning your gates would never be open so I really don't know what you would've been hearing

But if you want to post a datalog that would help a lot and maybe we can help better
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Sabtaj1

I'm assuming you mean the BOV's and not the wastegate's.  I would suspect you have one that is'nt closing all the way due to bad seal or stuck partially open.  I would start by pulling the two BOV valves and inspecting them, could be a tear in the seal.  The only way those throw a code is if the rear is unplugged.  Front wont throw a code unplugged.  And since you say it sounded cool I would assume you have these vented to atmosphere?  There was another guy that had same problem and was a BOV that went bad and was leaking.  Keep us posted!
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

bpd1151

Yes, agreed.

Likely a bad factory BOV.

Remove them from the car, inspect them both by extending the plunger outward, and away from the body/housing as depicted, and look closely at the orange colored diaphragm.

If it is torn or missing any material, there's at least one of your problem(s).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ZSHO

Agreed with all the ^^^. It could be your Bov or rear Turbo hose leaking! But you will need to inspect all the hoses or Bov for splits or cracks,while a good indicator would be signs of Oil seepage on the outside perimeter! Welcome back.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Rich196

Thanks Guy's, Yes I meant the BOV. Hate to sound like I dont have a clue, I have been drag racing all my life, and can pretty much fix anything on those engines, but when it comes to this new stuff (Yea I call it new...LOL) I'm learning as I go. I will check into what everyone has mentioned, and I will def. report back. That way, maybe it can help someone else. Again, thanks for your time guy's. Rich

2013 Taurus SHO w/PP, K&N Intake, PPE catted. downpipes, AIS water/meth kit (trunk mounted) ,H&R lowering springs,170 stat, 3-bar sensor, TORRIE UNLEASHED TUNED !!!  12.14 @116mph. Stay tuned for the 11's (with stock turbo's)................

SHOdded

Good luck, hope you find a quick resolution!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Rich196

I would like to thank ALL you guy's for your help. Yes ended up being a ripped BOV, ordered 2 from Ford (figured get 2 new ones) installed them yesterday, and BAM... back to normal. Again, thank you so much, it's awesome to know you guy's are always will to help a guy out.   Rich

bpd1151

That's great to hear Rich that your problem was an easy fix!

Now go and enjoy your newly rediscovered powahhhhh!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ZSHO

Great news! The very reason I went with the Hotpipes and Tial BOV from
www.ecopowerparts.com .enjoy.  Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|