• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

3.5eco transverse prone to water pump failures?

Started by lamrith, February 14, 2019, 08:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM105K

Quote from: 802SHO on February 15, 2019, 10:57:14 AM
Quote from: sm105k on February 15, 2019, 08:21:59 AM
Quote from: 802SHO on February 14, 2019, 06:46:26 PM
Boy oh boy I've never had mine changed, don't know when it was last done if ever, got the car with 52k and I've driven 20k....better get this done!  Too close for comfort

I am in the same boat.  Bought mine at 51K and I have 69K now.  I am going to try and install my IC this weekend, so I will replace the coolant then.

Good call, I'll wait until I do the same since the radiator will need to come out anyhow! 

Just fill the radiator back up?  Our system burbs itself doesn't it?  Not sure if that's the correct term...lol

I am going to try and get as much out as I can.  I know SBS said he got roughly 1.5 gallons out so... Going to go to Ford today and get some coolant and a new t-stat.  I am probably going to remove the front end this afternoon and get to work.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

802SHO

Quote from: sm105k on February 15, 2019, 11:10:07 AM
Boy oh boy I've never had mine changed, don't know when it was last done if ever, got the car with 52k and I've driven 20k....better get this done!  Too close for comfort

I am in the same boat.  Bought mine at 51K and I have 69K now.  I am going to try and install my IC this weekend, so I will replace the coolant then.

Good call, I'll wait until I do the same since the radiator will need to come out anyhow! 

Just fill the radiator back up?  Our system burbs itself doesn't it?  Not sure if that's the correct term...lol

I am going to try and get as much out as I can.  I know SBS said he got roughly 1.5 gallons out so... Going to go to Ford today and get some coolant and a new t-stat.  I am probably going to remove the front end this afternoon and get to work.

Let me know what kind of fluid you get.  You said youre going to Ford, what do they use?  I just want to fill it back up with whatever is best. 

Let us know how it goes with your IC install..pretty cooooolllllll
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SM105K

Quote from: 802SHO on February 15, 2019, 12:04:31 PM

Let me know what kind of fluid you get.  You said youre going to Ford, what do they use?  I just want to fill it back up with whatever is best. 

I just called Ford. $22 for a new t-stat, $8 for the gasket,  and $22 per gallon of OEM Orange Ford Coolant.  I am actually heading to the dyno right before that.  Hoping to crack 400 AWHP tune only! Then I will take her home and start taking her apart.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

802SHO

Quote from: sm105k on February 15, 2019, 12:21:24 PM
Quote from: 802SHO on February 15, 2019, 12:04:31 PM

I just called Ford. $22 for a new t-stat, $8 for the gasket,  and $22 per gallon of OEM Orange Ford Coolant.  I am actually heading to the dyno right before that.  Hoping to crack 400 AWHP tune only! Then I will take her home and start taking her apart.

Man if you crack 400 awhp tune only that will be epic!  Since you're swapping out thr t stat why not upgrade it
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.

SM105K

QuoteMan if you crack 400 awhp tune only that will be epic!  Since you're swapping out thr t stat why not upgrade it

We will see.  She went 391/470 last time.  Honestly IMO there is zero gain from a lower T-stat. We can go round and round, but operating temp is operating temp.  In 118 degree heat, it does not matter. The T-stat is at mercy of how efficient the actual cooling system is. I laugh inside when people say put a lower T-stat in, and even when tuners recommend a lower t-stat.  Here is a good read about this...

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/04/low-temp-thermostats-whats-the-advantage/

802SHO

Quote from: sm105k on February 15, 2019, 02:42:56 PM

QuoteMan if you crack 400 awhp tune only that will be epic!  Since you're swapping out thr t stat why not upgrade it

We will see.  She went 391/470 last time.  Honestly IMO there is zero gain from a lower T-stat. We can go round and round, but operating temp is operating temp.  In 118 degree heat, it does not matter. The T-stat is at mercy of how efficient the actual cooling system is. I laugh inside when people say put a lower T-stat in, and even when tuners recommend a lower t-stat.  Here is a good read about this...

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/04/low-temp-thermostats-whats-the-advantage/

Haha thats funny after I posted, I thought later about upgrading it and not even knowing a difference...

ZSHO

Since your in AZ I would @ least try to lower the Coolant ratio down to 40/60 Coolant or lower especially if categorized under Extreme Hot climate. Z

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?bookCode=O38417&languageCode=en&marketCode=US&viewTech=IE&chapterTitleSelected=G1724827&subTitleSelected=G1724834&topicHRef=G1612346&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SM105K

Quote from: ZSHO on February 16, 2019, 07:13:12 AM

Since your in AZ I would @ least try to lower the Coolant ratio down to 40/60 Coolant or lower especially if categorized under Extreme Hot climate. Z

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?bookCode=O38417&languageCode=en&marketCode=US&viewTech=IE&chapterTitleSelected=G1724827&subTitleSelected=G1724834&topicHRef=G1612346&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA

Funny that you say that.  That is exactly what I did.

Defiant

I've been reading up on these cars and was heavily considering buying a SHO seeing as how it's pretty much the perfect car for me but the water pump and chains look to be problematic and are a huge red flag.

Ford for whatever reason made the car transverse so they couldn't stuff an external pump like on the F150. So now changing the pump and/or chains is a huge job which sucks for people like me who do all their own repair work.

Browsing this forum there doesn't seem to be much talk about WP failures except for this thread that caught my eye. I'm sure it isn't terribly common but again most of the cars on this forum have sub 100k miles. So I can imagine how many more problems will rise up as these cars age.

I love the car but feel extremely discouraged now, it sucks as a Ford fan (I own a Mustang) to see them make dumb engineering mistakes over and over and not learn from it. Time to look for something LS powered I guess...

ZSHO

Quote from: Defiant on February 23, 2019, 03:52:31 PM
I've been reading up on these cars and was heavily considering buying a SHO seeing as how it's pretty much the perfect car for me but the water pump and chains look to be problematic and are a huge red flag.

Ford for whatever reason made the car transverse so they couldn't stuff an external pump like on the F150. So now changing the pump and/or chains is a huge job which sucks for people like me who do all their own repair work.

Browsing this forum there doesn't seem to be much talk about WP failures except for this thread that caught my eye. I'm sure it isn't terribly common but again most of the cars on this forum have sub 100k miles. So I can imagine how many more problems will rise up as these cars age.

I love the car but feel extremely discouraged now, it sucks as a Ford fan (I own a Mustang) to see them make dumb engineering mistakes over and over and not learn from it. Time to look for something LS powered I guess...
Welcome Defiant! I guess with any vehicle you need to stay on Top of your vehicle maintenance aspect and neglecting it will cause these issues to arise sooner than later.. Due setup an intro by following the below link. TIA. Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lamrith

Well given the cars are not super old yet yes mileage is low in general.  100K point with "avg driving is 8.3yrs.  So 1st year Sho's are getting to and over that 100k point now.  That said I know a few people on this forum are over 100K if I recall, and quite honestly, folks on this forum are enthusiats that probably run their cars a fair bit harder than normal owners.  If there was going to be a market segment to see issues, it would be this one imho

My reason for posting this thread was to inquire about it.  People on FB and now you seem scared of the setup, but I do not understand why.  They are far from the 1st Mfg to use this sort of setup, and I have yet to hear about an actual "rash of failures" with the powerplant/water pumps.  Just seems like looking for something to be a problem or worry about is all.  Sure it would be great if they were outside like classic engines, but the Ecoboost is decidedly not classic, that is what makes it special!
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

ClearwaterSHO

I mean, can't go wrong with the LS POWA. However, don't let the car scare you. Get a 13+ because there were some changes to the timing chain and WP from what I'm told. You can research to make sure that isn't BS, but the guy that old me is a reliable person. With that said, my car has 114k on the clock. Many, many, many passes down the strip. I drive it hard, but I am religious with my maintenance. I confidently drive my car from Tampa to Memphis multiple times a year. The SHO will love you as long you love it.
2013 NON-PP SHO Tuxedo Black
Unleashed 3 Bar Tune -12.865 @ 106.5
AJP POWERED Tune - 12.59 @ 108.?

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

metroplex

There's at least 1 class action lawsuit regarding the transverse 3.5 water pump. They generally don't fail at under 100k miles but when it does, it's $1500-$2000 to change. Or if it takes out the engine, then it's $8000+ (cited in one of the class action lawsuits). I don't know why Ford kept the transverse design all these years, especially when the longitudinal 2.7 EcoBoost fits in the Fusion with an external waterpump.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

SHOdded

Class action lawsuits pop up like weeds.  Whether they have any merit, no one really knows.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: metroplex on February 26, 2019, 04:36:44 AM
There's at least 1 class action lawsuit regarding the transverse 3.5 water pump. They generally don't fail at under 100k miles but when it does, it's $1500-$2000 to change. Or if it takes out the engine, then it's $8000+ (cited in one of the class action lawsuits). I don't know why Ford kept the transverse design all these years, especially when the longitudinal 2.7 EcoBoost fits in the Fusion with an external waterpump.
At around 107K mine mine was replaced under ESP while rebuilding the entire timing set.

No leaking but there was shaft play.

I was planning to replace it anyway while it was apart.

The defective timing set would have grenaded the engine well before the pump.

Should be GTG for another 100k unless I grenade it with too much AJPTurbo power.