• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LMS new 10 speed skip shifting fix!

Started by Livernois Motorsports, February 06, 2019, 06:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livernois Motorsports

As you guys know over at Livernois Motorsports we are constantly making adjustments to our calibrations and trying to find new ways to make these vehicles more enjoyable for our customers, well one of the biggest complaints we get is the way the stock transmission likes to skip around gears while driving so we decided to do something to change that! Check out the video below of our very own Dan Millen explaining the whole process to everyone and showcasing what we have done in the calibration for these new 10 speeds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjqUWvWMbPA&t=71s

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: SHOdded on February 06, 2019, 06:18:54 PM
I do not see a linked video?
Weird not sure how this happened but it is fixed!

Brucelinc

OK, I have the greatest respect for Dan Millen.   However, for him to say that he doesn't know why Ford set it up that way is puzzling.  I cannot speak for the its use in the F150.  However, I will comment on it in the Mustang.

First of all, in the Mustang, it only skips 2nd and 4th at part throttle in regular drive mode.   Under heavier throttle applications, it does not skip gears.   It also does not skip gears in "sport" mode.    I am not sure why anyone would want it shuffling through all the gears when just driving around town or in stop/go traffic.  The gears are so closely spaced that using them all at part throttle is unnecessary.   Having fewer shifts just makes for a smoother and more refined driving experience and likely saves some fuel as well.  However, when you need quick acceleration, all gears are there and it keeps the engine in the best RPM range.    With the Mustang, there are other drive modes that alter transmission behavior from Lexus smooth to drag strip firm and fast.    It is actually a brilliantly thought out transmission.

I applaud Livernois for what they do.   Maybe some people will like this.   Thankfully, it is an option because I will be getting a flex fuel Livernois tune for my Mustang and if it eliminated the skip-shift feature under light acceleration, I wouldn't do it.

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: Brucelinc on February 07, 2019, 10:17:20 AM
OK, I have the greatest respect for Dan Millen.   However, for him to say that he doesn't know why Ford set it up that way is puzzling.  I cannot speak for the its use in the F150.  However, I will comment on it in the Mustang.

First of all, in the Mustang, it only skips 2nd and 4th at part throttle in regular drive mode.   Under heavier throttle applications, it does not skip gears.   It also does not skip gears in "sport" mode.    I am not sure why anyone would want it shuffling through all the gears when just driving around town or in stop/go traffic.  The gears are so closely spaced that using them all at part throttle is unnecessary.   Having fewer shifts just makes for a smoother and more refined driving experience and likely saves some fuel as well.  However, when you need quick acceleration, all gears are there and it keeps the engine in the best RPM range.    With the Mustang, there are other drive modes that alter transmission behavior from Lexus smooth to drag strip firm and fast.    It is actually a brilliantly thought out transmission.

I applaud Livernois for what they do.   Maybe some people will like this.   Thankfully, it is an option because I will be getting a flex fuel Livernois tune for my Mustang and if it eliminated the skip-shift feature under light acceleration, I wouldn't do it.

Yes it is an option so those who do not like the way it shifts now can have it the standard way where it goes through all gears, witht he 10 speed transmission im not sure if there really even is any effect to gas mileage between skipping 2nd and 4th gear. We have recieved a few requests for this already so it is definitely something people do not like about the 10 speed but that is why it is just an option so those who want it can have it but those who do not (such as yourself) do not have to get this change.