• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SHO - Replacing 1 tire and maximum tread difference

Started by SHOw-Me State, February 11, 2019, 07:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOw-Me State

Hello all.  I've searched it seems endlessly (including here).  Has anyone found or received anything definitive from Ford on what the max tread difference that is allowed or safe with the SHO?

I've found 3%, 2/32nd, 3/32, 1/2 inch circumference, even an article supposedly for PI that states Ford's AWD can handle new tire with older tires.  Also found avoid "major difference" (whatever that is).  Dealer were I bought my car said "anything greater than 1/32, replace all" which seems bogus.  Another dealer said he has replaced one tire on his Explorer Sport without issue--just replace the one if same brand/model/size.  Our manual doesn't say anything definitive, which sort of leads me to believe there really isn't a requirement.

Boils down to I have a screw in the edge of the tread of a set of DWS06s about 6 months old.  Of course I could:  1) replace all to be absolutely safe (very expensive), 2) replace 2 on same axle (but doesn't that become problematic once rotating tires around), 3) replace the one tire and just go with the difference or maybe find somewhere to 'shave' it, but that seems hard to find.

I need to get the tread depth measured, but I'm thinking I'm at 8 or 9/32 from the new 10/32 depth.  I might even get Continental to replace the damaged one with their warranty.
2011 SHO non-PP, Ingot Silver, 2013 fender vents, all stock (for now).
Future: Tune, 3-bar, new plugs.  Catted DP and exhaust someday.

Gjkrisa

A plug will be easier cheaper method.
Measure it.
Sorry I don't have answer for how much is ok I have read somewhere but don't remember I think as long as it's in 10% of the others.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

Sublime_shooter

4/32nd's tread depth is the general rule for both minimum tread depth and and difference between tread of the other tires on your vehicle.  You're going to find numbers that say more or less, and it's all over the place because it's not as critical as they want to make you feel it is.
14 XSport   SCT with AJP 91 octane 2bar tune.

SHOw-Me State

Quote from: Gjkrisa on February 12, 2019, 05:26:40 AM
Measure it.........

Yeah, I was certainly hoping to patch, but once I found the issue, the screw is right on the shoulder.  Don't think they can/should patch that (just my luck).  Plus, I think I might squeak in with Continental's replacement service.  Nevermind the dirty car/wheels...been off and on again snow and rain here!

Gjkrisa

Quote from: SHOw-Me State on February 12, 2019, 09:50:27 AM
Quote from: Gjkrisa on February 12, 2019, 05:26:40 AM
Measure it.........

Yeah, I was certainly hoping to patch, but once I found the issue, the screw is right on the shoulder.  Don't think they can/should patch that (just my luck).  Plus, I think I might squeak in with Continental's replacement service.  Nevermind the dirty car/wheels...been off and on again snow and rain here!
Have you asked a tire guy if it's safe to patch that they will always pick saftey over payment in my experience.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

SHOdded

Definitely would not patch that.  If you really want, they may be able to shave the tire down enough for you to get a match across the axle.

3% is the max difference in tire height across an axle.  Not a commonly distributed number, but that is what I have read from knowledgeable sources in the past.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Jordan

Wouldn't bother with a patch. Honestly, PERSONALLY, I'd just plug that spot and run it. Or just get a new tire. I did that with my pirelli's that were at about 8/32 when one of the sidewalls bubbled on me.
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

SHOw-Me State

I won't repair it.  Everything I've seen says it's too close to the edge.  Will be getting a new tire this weekend.  Looks like Continental will replace it if within 2/32 of new (so 8/32 or better) for free if un-repairable.

So, if all are 8/32 or more tread, I'm good--new tire for free and close enough with the rest!  If it is 7/32 or less all around, I will have to make a judgment call on how many to replace. 

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!