• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Trans monitoring

Started by craigtone, February 09, 2019, 03:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigtone

Backstory - I have a 2015 SHO with GH tune.  I smoked the trans at 60K.  It kept cutting RPMs trying to power brake before hitting the 2K limit.  The tuner said it could have been sensing converter slip and killing power.  One power brake attempt the revs shot up to 4K and the car started rolling while I was standing on the brakes.  Needless to say smoke, stink then no go!  Rebuilder said converter was completely fried which burnt fluid and took out the clutches and a steel.

Now I am paranoid!  I have not done a power brake since I got the trans rebuilt.  This weekend I picked up a ScanGauge II and am monitoring trans fluid temp.  I noticed it can also measure Converter Speed Ratio (slip?)  Just curious what parameters I should be keeping an eye on and what numbers are bad?

Temp is usually around 190F (I drive pretty aggressive) and will jump to 200F after a 1/4-mile pull.

Also any recommendations on a better gauge?  The ScanGauge is real-time but no peak reporting or warning light capabilities.  I'd at least like to have a warning light when a parameter reaches a certain set limit.
2015 SHO (non-PP) - Off-Road DPs, K&N Intake, OBX Catback, GH AO Tune, Aux Trans Cooler, H&R Springs, PP Shocks, PI Brakes, ScanGauge 2, Amsoil Fluids

SM105K

I use my LiveWire TS+ to monitor my trans temps.  I actually have it monitor nine different parameters in real time at once.  I also have set alarms that tell me if something is out of my designated parameters. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

ZSHO

Quote from: sm105k on February 11, 2019, 08:36:24 AM
I use my LiveWire TS+ to monitor my trans temps.  I actually have it monitor nine different parameters in real time at once.  I also have set alarms that tell me if something is out of my designated parameters.
Nice! Definitely a must have in any situation! Z  :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

craigtone

I have an X4 right now and was looking for something smaller than the LiveWire.  I know Bully Dog and Amazon have some OBDII gauges with those features, just wondered if anyone tried one yet.  If I can find a standard 2-1/16" gauge, Aeroforce makes a nice looking dual pod for the Taurus.
2015 SHO (non-PP) - Off-Road DPs, K&N Intake, OBX Catback, GH AO Tune, Aux Trans Cooler, H&R Springs, PP Shocks, PI Brakes, ScanGauge 2, Amsoil Fluids

SM105K

Quote from: ZSHO on February 11, 2019, 09:41:52 AM
Quote from: sm105k on February 11, 2019, 08:36:24 AM
Nice! Definitely a must have in any situation! Z  :thumb:

It definitely is.  Every pull I go back and look at the low and high ranges.  Peace of mind all the time.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

802SHO

I have the Aeroforce Interceptor scan gauge its a single gauge and I have it in a single pod on the pillar where my meth injection lights are also installed.  It can measure just about anything.  IAT2 temps, knock, trans temp, boost jist to name a few more important ones.  With just the single gauge it will display two parameters at a time...you can set warning lights however I have not.  Mine is set on about 8 parameters that I can manually change display two show whatever two I want to see in real time..you can set it up to cycle through the parameters you chose if you prefer but I like to do it manually.  I also paid about 10 dollars extra for it to say SHO on the gauge itself.  Upon start up it turns on and says Taurus SHO which is cool.  And you can do a performance test with it.  Cycle to performance test just make sure youre ready to do the test as you must not be,moving and moving initiates the test.  Once you're ready and youre prompted to move you must travel a quarter mile to complete the test.  Once completed you can see your 0-60, 1/8 mile and quarter mile time.  For instance if you eanted just your 0-60 you would need to launch and WOT to 60mph...you could slow down and drive the whole quarter mile distance at a slower speed and you'll get your 0-60. 

A must have for a non PP SHO is the PP transmission cooler.  For about $140 you cannot go wrong!  Super simple to install yourself and mine is installed and I have adaptive cruise control.  My trans temps are usually in the 160 range.  In 70-85 degree weather it has gone up to 205 but thats after numerous drag strip pulls.  I'd say on average your transmission temps will be about 30 degrees colder with the transmission cooler.  Then of course there's no penalty for changing that fluid aggressively...in that case more changes IS better. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

802SHO

Some pics of the gauge and single pod.  I did this on a whim at Autozone.  I think it cost about 20 dollars for the gauge pod.  Overall it looks fine.  Also the link to install the PP trans cooler and keep those trans temps in check!

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2008.msg27472.html#msg27472
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

Sabtaj1

Wish I still had my scangauge.   However, Is it possible to monitor the trans temp with the X4??  I couldn't locate it on my handheld when plugged in...  Thanks in advance.
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

Chris_Flex

Quote from: Sabtaj1 on February 12, 2019, 01:04:26 AM
Wish I still had my scangauge.   However, Is it possible to monitor the trans temp with the X4??  I couldn't locate it on my handheld when plugged in...  Thanks in advance.
Yes you can monitor trans temp with x4

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost
BC Coilovers
Trans mounts
Unleashed e30 Tune