• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hello from NE OH

Started by Sublime_shooter, February 07, 2019, 07:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sublime_shooter

Hey Everyone!  Like most, I'm here because I'm interested in adding a bit of power to my ecoboost and finding information vs garbage is a taxing process...  My daily driver used to be an 04 F350 which I spent a small fortune on over the years of owning it to make it quick. 12 second 1/4's quick. My drive to work changed and 90 miles a day wasn't practical with it so I offloaded it for a 16 Explorer Sport.

While the Explorer is no slouch, it feels slow compared to my old land yacht, so I'm looking into ways to give her a little more pep, and the smartest ways of doing it. Some of my gripes with the Explorer I'm curious if can be easily tuned out are, if I can give it rear wheel drive bias or at least 50/50 all the time and if the mode switch can be changed from say snow, to a track setting where traction control and what not is off, at the turn of a dial instead of 50 button pushes (or is that just sand mode).

Then there's which tuner.... Plug and Play is all I need for a daily, but I went from having my self convinced to use a tuner that's proprietary to an SCT where I can play with other peoples tunes and now I cant make up my mind.

Thank you for reading my short story and I'll see you guys here in the forums.
14 XSport   SCT with AJP 91 octane 2bar tune.

SHOdded

Welcome, glad to have you and your '16 XSport join us!  Have you already bought the SCT tuning device?  Which one do you have?  ATM, Unleashed, AJPTurbo, and Gearhead are your top choices for SCT tuners.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Hello neighbor, North Royalton/Parma checking in.
I have a mild AJPTURBO tune and could not be happier.
It's been very reliable as a daily driver.

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Sublime_shooter

Quote from: SHOdded on February 07, 2019, 07:44:56 AM
Welcome, glad to have you and your '16 XSport join us!  Have you already bought the SCT tuning device?  Which one do you have?  ATM, Unleashed, AJPTurbo, and Gearhead are your top choices for SCT tuners.

I let my SCT go with the truck so I'll be buying a new device. Opinions on which device or brand are encouraged, but I am familiar with SCT and custom tunes however I'm new to the gasoline world, and the whats what and who's who within it.

AJP is localish and he seems very active on this board, so his tunes are definitely in my thoughts.

Sublime_shooter

Quote from: glock-coma on February 07, 2019, 08:14:50 AM

I make my way to Parma every now and again (4wheelParts and Fatheads).  I'm like smack in the middle between Akron and Youngstown. I see in your signature that you're running a two bar MAP. What made you stick with the 2 instead of going with the 3 that seems ever so popular?

glock-coma

I did run a 3 bar for awhile when I had an unleashed tune.
When I was data logging Brad (AJPTURBO) ask what my expectations were and how serious I wanted to get.
I explained I wanted something that was reliable as a daily driver but wasn't going to be a track beast by any means.
He deemed the 2bar adequate for my needs.
I seldom see boost spikes above 14.7 so the 2 bar works perfectly.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SM105K

Quote from: Sublime_shooter on February 07, 2019, 08:48:37 AM
Quote from: glock-coma on February 07, 2019, 08:14:50 AM

I make my way to Parma every now and again (4wheelParts and Fatheads).  I'm like smack in the middle between Akron and Youngstown. I see in your signature that you're running a two bar MAP. What made you stick with the 2 instead of going with the 3 that seems ever so popular?

Because Brad can get almost a 3 bar tune out of a 2 bar.  He does a damn fine job. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

802SHO

Welcome aboard Sublime_shooter!  I think that ultimately whoever you choose will definitely wake your vehicle up.  Depending on your goals for the future.  I think propriety tunes are great and if you live within a reasonable distance then you can really do almost anything and get adequate support through dyno tunes.  For me personally I like the SCT software as it gives me more options for tunes and tuners.  I am perfectly happy with my tuner and feel no need to go else where but its cool that its still an option.  You don't need to strap down on a dyno for a bada$$ custom tune.  You don't need to travel anywhere other than your hometown and roads youre familiar with.  I feel like theres more freedom with that type of tuning software and its by no means less potent. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

Sublime_shooter

Quote from: 802SHO on February 07, 2019, 08:29:44 PM
Welcome aboard Sublime_shooter!  I think that ultimately whoever you choose will definitely wake your vehicle up.  Depending on your goals for the future.  I think propriety tunes are great and if you live within a reasonable distance then you can really do almost anything and get adequate support through dyno tunes.  For me personally I like the SCT software as it gives me more options for tunes and tuners.  I am perfectly happy with my tuner and feel no need to go else where but its cool that its still an option.  You don't need to strap down on a dyno for a bada$$ custom tune.  You don't need to travel anywhere other than your hometown and roads youre familiar with.  I feel like theres more freedom with that type of tuning software and its by no means less potent.

My goals aren't all that lofty for this ride, Just waking it up and hopefully getting rid of some factory settings I'm not all that fond of. I agree with you on the SCT software, I've used it and I'm familiar with it. And... I'm pretty sure if I go SCT, I wont even try a canned tune. It'll be straight to a custom tune.

I've been looking and haven't found anything one way or the other about being able to change the mode switches (mud/sand/snow) to say a track preference or, if tuning eliminates these modes. 

802SHO

I went straight for a custom tune also.  I don't know about changing drive modes on your transmission to a track version.  That would be cool and I could see why you would want to modify it if you could.  Ask AJPTurbo if he's familiar with that type of change being doable or not.  He may be able to assist you with that or answer some questions.
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

autobahn terror

A friend of mine had the best results with "sand mode". This is still not a true 50/50 power bias, but it limits the traction control nagging to a high degree... Sorry for the anecdotal info, but I am pessimistic about the prospect of it providing any performance benefit other than that...
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

PDSHO

Welcome, enjoy your time here.

Greg
2013 Taurus Police Interceptor. AWD, Eco-Boost. SOLD
2015 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, Eco-Boost.
2016 Taurus Police Interceptor, Eco-Boost
2014 Lincoln MKS Eco-Boost

ZSHO

Welcome aboard the E.B.P.F Sublime shooter! Due Post Some PICS Of Your Newly Acquired X-SPORT @ your earliest convenience and Glad to have you on board.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Sublime_shooter

Quote from: ZSHO on February 08, 2019, 01:02:40 PM
Welcome aboard the E.B.P.F Sublime shooter! Due Post Some PICS Of Your Newly Acquired X-SPORT @ your earliest convenience and Glad to have you on board.  Z

Thank you, and I'll have to take some. In the meantime if you want to visualize it, It's silver with Nitto 420 rubber.

AJP turbo

Quote from: Sublime_shooter on February 08, 2019, 09:24:24 AM
Quote from: 802SHO on February 07, 2019, 08:29:44 PM

My goals aren't all that lofty for this ride, Just waking it up and hopefully getting rid of some factory settings I'm not all that fond of. I agree with you on the SCT software, I've used it and I'm familiar with it. And... I'm pretty sure if I go SCT, I wont even try a canned tune. It'll be straight to a custom tune.

I've been looking and haven't found anything one way or the other about being able to change the mode switches (mud/sand/snow) to say a track preference or, if tuning eliminates these modes.

Welcome Sublime!. I will say this, I can see the canned tune that SCT uses for the ecoboost and they are very incomplete and crude in my opinion and somethings just don't make sense to me. I would not waste your time flashing one to your car. I'd run stock or a custom tune.

The explorer has more drive modes so it is possible to do more with them but I would have to look at your specific strategy to see what could be done. But in theory you could set it to make one of the drive modes more aggressive among other things.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress