• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Meth leaK!

Started by ZSHO, February 06, 2019, 11:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

I noticed a few days now loosing roughly 12 ounces of Methanol overnight based on the Reservoir Tank..
I also noticed a small leak on the Driveway floor this morning on the Driver's side Front bumper right under the Alky pump...
I contacted Julio over @ www.alkycontrols.com and reponded in matter of minutes and stated that it Could be the Pump or Hoses to/from the pump and will need to inspect it PRONTO!

He also stated that since running 100 percent Meth during the winter months to run washer fluid through it to help with the Seals.
I guess it's the pure Methanol that's hard on it in conjunction with the recent sub zero cold temps!   
The good part is I do have an extra backup Alky pump for such occasions..
Some preventative maintenance goes a long way!
I will keep yall updated on any progress and findings. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

That's a lotta loss!  Hope the new pump fixes the situation.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on February 06, 2019, 11:36:30 AM
That's a lotta loss!  Hope the new pump fixes the situation.
Thanks Manu! I will first need to verify the exact location of the source and proceed from there. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Thats scary! At least it is leaking in an area with no ignition source. Hopefully you can find the leak pretty easily.. There are only a couple places it could be leaking from in that area.

Maybe time to ditch the meth and get an IC? ;-)

ZSHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on February 06, 2019, 02:56:23 PM
Thats scary! At least it is leaking in an area with no ignition source. Hopefully you can find the leak pretty easily.. There are only a couple places it could be leaking from in that area.

Maybe time to ditch the meth and get an IC? ;-)
Progressive kit in the works soon. Z

ZSHO

The pump still works even with the leak,but looks like its coming from the Head AFAIK!
I ordered some PTFE PASTE for the Threads and will tackle this soon.
Thanks for the many replies.  Z

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80632-Thread-Sealant-PTFE/dp/B000HBNTGY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1549493803&sr=1-1&keywords=PTFE+Paste

ZSHO

FYI- Quick update! I'm currently seeking an alternative in removing the Alky Pump without having to remove the entire Front bumper assembly due to the cold weather and snow fall Today while also receiving some PTFE PASTE Today for the Threads in the process...

Big Thanks to Julio @ www.Alkycontrol.com and Jake from LMS for their
continuous help and Prompt support .. :)

Still at Preliminary stages but will need to Confirm PRIOR!

If you have access to the Head of the Alky Pump and lines,through the wheel well and pull back the liner you could just swap the Heads.
To do this all you do is remove the 3 torx screws that you can't touch their bottoms on the head of the pump. This allows the Head to separate from motor for an overall much easier swap alternative without having to remove the entire pump
assembly kit and hose lines considering the leak is coming from the Pump (seal) Head.

I will keep you updated on the Progress.  Z

StealBlueSho

Z, what is in that second picture? Looks like a control unit of some sort? My kit did not have anything that looked like that.

bpd1151

I wouldn't be reliant on that PTFE paste.

It will very likely FAIL.

Been there, done that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ZSHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on February 12, 2019, 06:55:24 PM
Z, what is in that second picture? Looks like a control unit of some sort? My kit did not have anything that looked like that.
I believe a Solenoid. Z

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on February 12, 2019, 07:34:20 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on February 12, 2019, 06:55:24 PM
Solenoid. Z

Interesting.. must be needed for the DPM setup.

ZSHO

Quote from: bpd1151 on February 12, 2019, 06:58:08 PM
I wouldn't be reliant on that PTFE paste.

It will very likely FAIL.

Been there, done that.

I know the white plumbers tape is ideal for Brass fittings!
But Directly from Julio Don
Wed, Feb 6, 5:02 PM (6 days ago)
New pump, use PTFE paste on threads. Z

bpd1151

I understand.

But I assure you, you'll end up with a leak once again.

Again, been there, done that.

StealBlueSho

I used plumbers tape on my connections, the paste leaked... the tape worked great. Just my .02 cents...

ZSHO

Quote from: bpd1151 on February 12, 2019, 07:38:12 PM
I understand.

But I assure you, you'll end up with a leak once again.

Again, been there, done that.

Thanks again! I know the fittings also come pre-fitted with white plumbers tape IIRC! Z