• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Gearhead Intercooler Review

Started by StealBlueSho, February 05, 2019, 03:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

I was finally able to get a decent datalog on the new IC.. here are two multigear pulls...one before the intercooler and one after the intercooler. Ambient outside was the same temps for both, notice that the starting temps are the same, so its about as close as you can get to similar environmental variables. 

The IC itself it very stout with no plastic parts and is a very solid piece of work. Install is not horrid if you plan for a few hours and take your time. Not gonna go over it as it has been video taped (yea I know... ) and documented...

With the stock intercooler driving in traffic I would normally see 140F at the intake manifold while sitting in stop and go. Once it heatsoaked it would take a long time of constant driving to get the temps to stay down, otherwise it would creep up to 140+F.. nothing new here, we have all experienced this..

With the new intercooler I took my car to work today, and when you live in NoVA, its a hellish commute. I have to say, the highest I saw the intake temps were 131F during my drive to work and home from work. This included sitting in traffic(a lot). When I was able to get up to the speed limit the intercooler was able to keep the air under 100F and I was unable to get it to heat soak as it recovers extremely fast. Additionally I have not noticed any lag in the turbos with the extra volume, and part throttle is just as stout if not more so than before. 

On my way home I was able to get a datalog on the highway during a stretch of open road, and it just pulls hard, temps dropped and stayed low. The temps were still dropping when I pulled out of it, which is a huge change! Usually during a pull the temps drop a bit but then start to sky rocket. The datalogs I posted show this. This is also typical at the track as well which kills your times as you pull spark (and boost with GH) when the temperatures climb. Looking at my datalogs from today, due to the temperatures staying below 100F I was hitting full load up to redline which was 1.78! The butt dyno for sure is telling me that there is significant gains with this new addition.

Sunday night after the installation I took the car out and hammered on it for awhile just to see if I can get the IC to heat soak and test recovery. After hammering on it, I parked it for 30-34 minutes, then started it back up. IATs were in the 140+F range as you would expect. Normally with the stock intercooler it takes FOREVER to get those temps to drop, and then you hammer it, and your right back to heat soaked. A slow drive around the block, hit up the highway, blast it, and temps were back under 80F. I proceeded to hammer on it some more but with how well this IC recovers, I was unable to heat soak it while driving.

Being as my 2010 had meth, I was considering adding meth to my 2016 to assist with keeping the temps in check. I would say with this IC upgrade, meth is not on the table for me personally. The real world data I am pulling shows a SIGNIFICANT improvement in IATs which is huge being as these cars traditionally heat soak TERRIBLY. Until now, our only recourse has been to add methanol injection. I loved me my meth, but there is maintenance overhead along with the concern of running out of meth on a drive.

Ultimately getting good data from a couple track runs will be very beneficial to post, but based on street driving, the IC is worth every penny. Excited for track season and seeing what it can do with hot lapping. If you are looking for build out your SHO, I would say this is on the list of must haves. Tune, 3BAR, upgraded HPFP, and the upgraded GH intercooler are a deadly combination.

Bravo GH!

SM105K

Very cool SBS.  Just makes me even happy I purchased mine today. Thank you for the information.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Agentlongwood

This makes me so damn happy that a major weakness on the platform has been corrected... and also very sad that I don't have the money for one yet, lol.  Thanks for the review, much appreciated!
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

AJP turbo

Quote from: Agentlongwood on February 14, 2019, 10:47:56 PM
This makes me so damn happy that a major weakness on the platform has been corrected... and also very sad that I don't have the money for one yet, lol.  Thanks for the review, much appreciated!

I think you inquired about progress more than anyone lol! Well save your pennies and I'm sure you can pick one up soon my friend!
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SM105K

Well sorry guys, she just wouldn't crack 400 awhp tune only. The air is crap here in Phoenix. So these are the numbers I am using as my baseline pre intercooler install. 388/463. Going to Ford right now to get a new T-Stat, and coolant. Then I will get home and start taking her apart.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

Pretty strong/consistent nonetheless.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho on February 05, 2019, 03:32:19 PM
I was finally able to get a decent datalog on the new IC.. here are two multigear pulls...one before the intercooler and one after the intercooler. Ambient outside was the same temps for both, notice that the starting temps are the same, so its about as close as you can get to similar environmental variables. 

The IC itself it very stout with no plastic parts and is a very solid piece of work. Install is not horrid if you plan for a few hours and take your time. Not gonna go over it as it has been video taped (yea I know... ) and documented...

With the stock intercooler driving in traffic I would normally see 140F at the intake manifold while sitting in stop and go. Once it heatsoaked it would take a long time of constant driving to get the temps to stay down, otherwise it would creep up to 140+F.. nothing new here, we have all experienced this..

With the new intercooler I took my car to work today, and when you live in NoVA, its a hellish commute. I have to say, the highest I saw the intake temps were 131F during my drive to work and home from work. This included sitting in traffic(a lot). When I was able to get up to the speed limit the intercooler was able to keep the air under 100F and I was unable to get it to heat soak as it recovers extremely fast. Additionally I have not noticed any lag in the turbos with the extra volume, and part throttle is just as stout if not more so than before. 

On my way home I was able to get a datalog on the highway during a stretch of open road, and it just pulls hard, temps dropped and stayed low. The temps were still dropping when I pulled out of it, which is a huge change! Usually during a pull the temps drop a bit but then start to sky rocket. The datalogs I posted show this. This is also typical at the track as well which kills your times as you pull spark (and boost with GH) when the temperatures climb. Looking at my datalogs from today, due to the temperatures staying below 100F I was hitting full load up to redline which was 1.78! The butt dyno for sure is telling me that there is significant gains with this new addition.

Sunday night after the installation I took the car out and hammered on it for awhile just to see if I can get the IC to heat soak and test recovery. After hammering on it, I parked it for 30-34 minutes, then started it back up. IATs were in the 140+F range as you would expect. Normally with the stock intercooler it takes FOREVER to get those temps to drop, and then you hammer it, and your right back to heat soaked. A slow drive around the block, hit up the highway, blast it, and temps were back under 80F. I proceeded to hammer on it some more but with how well this IC recovers, I was unable to heat soak it while driving.

Being as my 2010 had meth, I was considering adding meth to my 2016 to assist with keeping the temps in check. I would say with this IC upgrade, meth is not on the table for me personally. The real world data I am pulling shows a SIGNIFICANT improvement in IATs which is huge being as these cars traditionally heat soak TERRIBLY. Until now, our only recourse has been to add methanol injection. I loved me my meth, but there is maintenance overhead along with the concern of running out of meth on a drive.

Ultimately getting good data from a couple track runs will be very beneficial to post, but based on street driving, the IC is worth every penny. Excited for track season and seeing what it can do with hot lapping. If you are looking for build out your SHO, I would say this is on the list of must haves. Tune, 3BAR, upgraded HPFP, and the upgraded GH intercooler are a deadly combination.

Bravo GH!

Keep those logs handy :) I am VERY curious about how effective it will be in august at any drags you attend.  Thats what will convince me :)
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

bpd1151

Quote from: sm105k on February 15, 2019, 04:42:42 PM
Well sorry guys, she just wouldn't crack 400 awhp tune only. The air is crap here in Phoenix. So these are the numbers I am using as my baseline pre intercooler install. 388/463. Going to Ford right now to get a new T-Stat, and coolant. Then I will get home and start taking her apart.
Is what it is.

388awhp in less than ideal atmospheric conditions (tune only mind you) is nothing to sneeze at.

Remember, the SHO platform ranges anywhere from 277 to 285 awhp from the factory.

So you're looking at an approximate 100 awhp gain. Impressive! Be proud.

Factoring in the previously documented 23% to 24% AWD drivetrain loss, your looking at roughly a pubic hair's worth over 500hp at the crank.

Again, be proud. Especially knowing this is Pre-Install of the intercooler.

IIRC, GH's own testing showed an approximate 40awhp gain, and as others come onboard/online with their own IC installs, are seeing 50awhp gain.

So even better #'s are forthcoming.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ZSHO

Nice Info Indeed SBS!   :)   I'm starting to like this Mod more as the days progress and Glad Gearhead has addressed the Condensation issue and has incorporated an NPT-threaded type style Bung on the Bottom of the CAC(intercooler),while giving you the option to drain it on occasion similar to an OCC.  Z  :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Quote from: TopherSho on February 15, 2019, 04:58:24 PM

Bravo GH!

Keep those logs handy :) I am VERY curious about how effective it will be in august at any drags you attend.  Thats what will convince me :)

Why wait? The data is overwhelming in the fact it helps. Let me throw up a screen shot of a meth injection IAT trend against the GH intercooler IAT trend... extremely similar... people were seeing several tenths off their 1/4 mile just in the cooling properties of meth... not even taking advantage of the additional octane.

Just do it...

ZSHO

I was curious to know the overall difference in WHP between the Meth vs IC for comparison! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on February 15, 2019, 06:33:10 PM
I was curious to see the overall difference in WHP between the Meth vs IC for comparison! Z

I don't have that... there are no mechanically linked Dynojets around me...

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho on February 15, 2019, 06:22:21 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on February 15, 2019, 04:58:24 PM

Bravo GH!

Why wait? The data is overwhelming in the fact it helps. Let me throw up a screen shot of a meth injection IAT trend against the GH intercooler IAT trend... extremely similar... people were seeing several tenths off their 1/4 mile just in the cooling properties of meth... not even taking advantage of the additional octane.

Just do it...

YOU ARE A TERRIBLE INFLUENCE!  :)
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SM105K

I am seeing roughly the same number drops across the board as SBS said.  In 65 degree weather heat soaked full pull stock IC I was seeing 135-145 IAt2's.  With the new GH IC, the temps dipped to 89 degrees......

The new GH IC is in and it is WORTH EVERY DAMN PENNY! It dropped my IAT2's in the same weather 45 to 50 degrees. It lowered my boost pressure, and the car was crab walking in the 1st to 2nd gear shift. If you are on the fence, jump off and get on the GH IC intercooler train. Brad and I working on a tune for it, and hopefully I can get it back on the dyno later this week.

Couple of things. The GH Intercooler tabs were bigger then the slots on the radiator. Also remove your oil dip stick and put a piece of tape over the hole. I broke mine off, and now I am going to have to extract it. If you have a PP, you will have to remove the PTU coolant hose from the radiator, along with dropping the trans cooler off the brackets as well.  Also I would go to Ford and buy at least 10 of the push tabs because you are going to destroy them all.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: sm105k on February 18, 2019, 08:28:04 AM
I am seeing roughly the same number drops across the board as SBS said.  In 65 degree weather heat soaked full pull stock IC I was seeing 135-145 IAt2's.  With the new GH IC, the temps dipped to 89 degrees......

The new GH IC is in and it is WORTH EVERY DAMN PENNY! It dropped my IAT2's in the same weather 45 to 50 degrees. It lowered my boost pressure, and the car was crab walking in the 1st to 2nd gear shift. If you are on the fence, jump off and get on the GH IC intercooler train. Brad and I working on a tune for it, and hopefully I can get it back on the dyno later this week.

Couple of things. The GH Intercooler tabs were bigger then the slots on the radiator. Also remove your oil dip stick and put a piece of tape over the hole. I broke mine off, and now I am going to have to extract it. If you have a PP, you will have to remove the PTU coolant hose from the radiator, along with dropping the trans cooler off the brackets as well.  Also I would go to Ford and buy at least 10 of the push tabs because you are going to destroy them all.

Congrats on the install. It is an awesome upgrade! Did you break the tabs on the radiator? One of mine snapped although I blame my neighbor since he just slammed his side down... but it is a snug fit for sure...

I reloaded the LMS tune just to try it with the new IC, it was still hitting desired boost without an issue.. WGDC was higher but still held boost fine.