• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rear wheel hub/bearing

Started by A 01 Badger, February 02, 2019, 09:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A 01 Badger

I'm getting a grinding noise coming from the rear driver side wheel. Based on what I am hearing I would say the bearing has gone bad. My question is if someone  can tell me which one I need or what my options are.  Most of the websites I've checked specify front or rear although I thought they would be the same since it's AWD. Also, many say "non performance Pkg" which I have on my 2013.

Could anyone tell me specifically what the part number is for the rear driver side wheel hub (assembly?) for a 2013 SHO with the performance package?

Thanks.
Sold - 2013 SHO w/ PP LMS 93 Tune, 3 Bar, NGK Iridium Plugs, MDesign CAI,  30% tint

2018 XSport - AJP Turbo tune, Steeda Rear Sway Bar and Rear Trailing Arms

2011 Audi S4 mt6 - EPL Stage 2 tune, Injen intake, EPL supercharger pulley, RDX Billet trans mount, ECS sub frame inserts, JXB Performance Short Throw shift kit.

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

SKF and Timken are also great brands if they have a PP specific product to offer.  Typically RockAuto will list them, but I would start by going to the mfr sites and looking up the catalogs.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1503823,brake+&+wheel+hub,wheel+bearing+&+hub+assembly,1636

At least for the rear, the hubs/bearings seem to be the same regardless of non-PP or PP pkg.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

A 01 Badger

Thanks SHOdded and ZSHO,

Rock auto is where I was looking, but from what I can see most of them either specifically say not for the PP or they don't say anything one way or the other. There are a few that say front for the PP.

Any idea on what would be different about a wheel hub on the PP?  It just doesn't seem like a componet that would be upgraded from the non-PP SHO.  Also, I've seen several sites mention on the regular Taurus that the front and back wheel hubs are the same, I was wondering if that would be true for the SHO as well.  If I can't find a reliable answer I guess I will just go with OEM to be safe.
Also, why both?  I don't mind doing it but I have changed many hubs in my life and only ever one at a time as it they wear out. Will having a new one on one side affect Performance in some way or are you just thinking if one is bad the other is following closely?  I have 80,000ish miles.  I've never had a hub wear out this fast, nor have I ever had a rear one go. (I've been told it was due to cornering too aggressively as to why I wear front hubs out quicker. No idea if that's accurate.)  I've driven several vehicles into the 200k range.
Sold - 2013 SHO w/ PP LMS 93 Tune, 3 Bar, NGK Iridium Plugs, MDesign CAI,  30% tint

2011 Audi S4 mt6 - EPL Stage 2 tune, Injen intake, EPL supercharger pulley, RDX Billet trans mount, ECS sub frame inserts, JXB Performance Short Throw shift kit.

ZSHO

They usually recommend to change suspension related components in sets depending on your current mileage as mentioned ^^^ Best of luck.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

It is actually interesting that the hubs are the same for pp and non pp.  not only that, the rear hubs are the same as the front non pp hubs.  This is how rockauto has listed them.

Should be easy to find out if this is true, at a dealer site.

2013 SHO
Fronts
1   BT4Z-1104-B / Hub Assembly
Front Hub
TAURUS; 3.5L; W/ TURBO; LESS VERSION PACKAGE
$160.99   
1   DE9Z-1104-D / Front Hub
TAURUS; 3.5L; W/ TURBO; SHO PACKAGE 1
$185.62   

rear
1   BT4Z-1104-B   Hub Assembly
Hub & Bearing Assembly
TAURUS
$254.53   $160.99

so yes the rockauto listing is accurate.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Here are some Specs for comparison! Z

NON-PP                                                             PP     

Hub Pilot Dia G (in) 3.627                        Hub Pilot Dia G (in) 3.823

Flange Offset (in) 1.690                          Flange Offset (in) 1.691

Brake Pilot Dia (in) 2.284                        Brake Pilot Dia (in) 2.678

Bolt Circle Diameter H (in) 4.708             Bolt Circle Diameter B (in) 4.494                                                                       

A 01 Badger

Went with the OEM from Ford parts giant San zsho mentioned. Does anyone know the torque spec for the nut that holds cv axle in the hub? 

ZSHO

Quote from: A 01 Badger on March 22, 2019, 02:45:00 PM
Went with the OEM from Ford parts giant San zsho mentioned. Does anyone know the torque spec for the nut that holds cv axle in the hub?
I believe the Front Torque Specs are 258 lb-ft! Need to verify the Specs are Spot on and should be the same for the Rear.Best of luck to ya. Z

polskifacet

Clarification:

Non-PP: BT4Z-1104-B all four corners.

PP: DE9Z-1104-D on the front and BT4Z-1104-B on the back.

Conversion:
Axles are the same so you would need to buy the knuckes and hubs to convert to PP hubs.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs