• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2017 MKC - Transmission Hard Shifts in Cold

Started by 14SHOCAR, January 31, 2019, 03:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

Hellllllooooooo fellow Ecoboost Performance Forum posters!

It's been a while since I've been on this forum-- mainly because my Lincoln MKZ is a thing of the past lol

As of this winter, however, my wife's 2017 MKC 2.0T Select has been having issues with the transmission, and I was wondering if anyone has run into this issue at all...

It started when the temperature first dropped below 32 degrees. When driving for the first two blocks, the transmission would do some hard shifting from first to second gear and back down. After the transmission was warm, the issue goes away. I took the car to the local Ford dealership for repairs.  They ended up re-flashing the PDU, and making sure there was enough transmission fluid.

A few days later, after they did the work, I am now getting "Service AdvanceTrac" and "Hill Start Assist Not Available" when the car first cold starts. They turn off within a minute of turning the car on. The shifting problem is still slightly there, but it's much more tame than before. I get cold cars don't like to shift, but with these new warning messages.... just makes me go hmm....

So I decided to reach out to all of you to see if there were any reports of issues with Escape / MKC reporting transmission issues.

Also to note... and most likely unrelated -- they found the oil level sensor was leaking oil. They ended up replacing it under warranty. Strange issue to have given there were no oil spots in our garage....

There are a few other annoyances with the car (the subwoofer pops when the infotainment system turns on and off. More annoying than anything....) and the front speaker grill in the dash rattles -- drives me nuts but my wife doesnt; mind. lol

/Rant.

Any ideas would be helpful :)
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

TopherSho

Call me crazy but I still think the OIL in the Trans is suspect.  Did they top it off... or change it?  If they 'changed it' pull the airbox and check it yourself on flat ground COLD if at all possible.

ShOdded is the master of tech bulletins so i would also see what he says ..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

ZSHO

I'm not to familiar with the MKC but would check the Battery level especially in the colder weather months and if the vehicle is driven in frequent short trip intervals it will not get the proper charge needed to compensate for the offset!
If the low Battery voltage is detected it will unfortunately act wonky @ times..
Letting the vehicle warm up on a cold startup is recommended while noting any shifting changes.
Check the tire pressures related to the advance trac issues..

The Trans fluid level on some Transmissions needs to be spot ON and NOT over filled or below the hash mark.

BTW Welcome back!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

14SHOCAR

Quote from: ZSHO on January 31, 2019, 06:45:16 PM
I'm not to familiar with the MKC but would check the Battery level especially in the colder weather months and if the vehicle is driven in frequent short trip intervals it will not get the proper charge needed to compensate for the offset!
If the low Battery voltage is detected it will unfortunately act wonky @ times..
Letting the vehicle warm up on a cold startup is recommended while noting any shifting changes.
Check the tire pressures related to the advance trac issues..

The Trans fluid level on some Transmissions needs to be spot ON and NOT over filled or below the hash mark. BTW Welcome back!  Z

Thanks Z! I'll give those a look tomorrow when its not -20 out LOL

Quote from: TopherSho on January 31, 2019, 05:57:55 PM
Call me crazy but I still think the OIL in the Trans is suspect.
They just said it was leaking, didn't tell me how or why they knew it was leaking LOL.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust