• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Radar rear view mirror Tap!

Started by ZSHO, January 07, 2019, 06:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

Here's a very Brief "How to" as promised a while ago!

I purchased the Radar Mount RJ11 Mirror Wire Radar Detector Hardwire Power Cord from www.amazon.com .

Remove the black plastic piece gently against the windshield using a small flat head screw driver..
The RJ11- Tab adapters unfortunately were to big and did NOT use them and simply spliced into the according wires as shown and pictured below...

I then spliced into the TOP BLACK WIRE which is your GROUND To BLACK on RG11 CORD

The 2nd YELLOW/BROWN WIRE will be your POWER TO RED ON RJ11 CORD as shown on the below Pic.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.  Z  :)

Here's my previous "How TO" Hard-wire your Radar detector.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6964.0.html

https://www.amazon.com/Radar-Mount-Detector-Hardwire-3005201U/dp/B078939GZ2/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=01GCW2DW9F03QN6M9PK8

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

That was a LONG writeup, 7000+ words in fact!  :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on January 07, 2019, 08:07:11 PM
That was a LONG writeup, 7000+ words in fact!  :D
The lack of patience @ my age leave a lot to be desired.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Brewineer

Thanks for the guide, I just wired up my dashcam to the rearview mirror power leads. Mine had different colors, but the same positions on the header were the correct wires.

Very satisfying quick little DIY, and now I've got the stealthiest dashcam possible unless I were able to fit one into the shroud itself.

I used this to convert from battery voltage to 5V for the mini-USB daschcam cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FJVRCT/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2013 Gem Green Metallic SHO w/PP, Unleashed 90P Tune, AJP Boost Regulator, UPR Dual Catch Can, Air Springs, Tow Hitch
Next steps: 3bar Meth injection

ZSHO

Glad this thread was of some assistance and straight to the point. Lol.  Z   :D

ZSHO

Sorry for the delayed update just been busy with lifes daily obstacles and all!
Here are a few PICS for reference and everything is working as designed.  :)
I ended up using some T-Tap's and added a Fuse protector for Good measures. Z

FYI- The Yellow/Brown wire with the Fuse is your POWER wire and the BLACK is your GROUND

Macgyver

Obviously this would work for a Dash Cam too ?

12volt switched on with the ignition.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Macgyver on March 18, 2019, 07:22:13 PM
Obviously this would work for a Dash Cam too ?

12volt switched on with the ignition.
If you do switched than you lose auto on while parked if its hit.

This becomes tricky in the SHO as all 3 SHOs in our family had/have defective battery management so running the battery down is a distinct possibility.

One way around this would be to run a USB brick somewhere charging to USB 24/7 (when car is on) then run the cam off that. This scheme might require an overnight charge of the brick once in a while. My cam in the CMAX is currently running directly off the OEM USB. Not sure if other brands will work like that.

Edited for further thoughts

ZSHO

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on March 18, 2019, 08:07:38 PM
FWIW AUCEE Dash Cam Hardwire kit, Mini USB Port,DC 12V - 36V to 5V/2A Max Car Charger Cable kit with Fuse,Low Voltage Protection for Dash Cameras. Z

https://www.amazon.com/AUCEE-Dash-Cam-Hardwire-kit/dp/B077C1HTPK/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=AUCEE+Dash+Cam+Hardwire+kit%2C+Mini+USB+Port%2CDC+12V+-+36V+to+5V%2F2A+Max+Car+Charger+Cable+kit&qid=1552953937&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull
Lol, is it me or does the first pic show an AC plug?

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Macgyver

Quote from: ZSHO on March 18, 2019, 08:07:38 PM
FWIW AUCEE Dash Cam Hardwire kit, Mini USB Port,DC 12V - 36V to 5V/2A Max Car Charger Cable kit with Fuse,Low Voltage Protection for Dash Cameras. Z

https://www.amazon.com/AUCEE-Dash-Cam-Hardwire-kit/dp/B077C1HTPK/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=AUCEE+Dash+Cam+Hardwire+kit%2C+Mini+USB+Port%2CDC+12V+-+36V+to+5V%2F2A+Max+Car+Charger+Cable+kit&qid=1552953937&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Yeah I have one of those kits already. I was just thinking if you could wire it up there it might be easier.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on March 19, 2019, 01:42:59 AM
mini usb port LOL
Ugh, upon closer inspection I need better eyes or a new screen...

SHOdded

nah, it was just very deceiving ...