• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

E30 in winter

Started by Chris_Flex, January 04, 2019, 10:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris_Flex

My last log on my E30 tune was in March with ambient temp of 45° I stopped running the E30 tune in the winter because I'm having fuel pressure issues when temperatures are cold,don't know if it's the tune or what

Does anyone run e30 in cold weather?
I was told WMI would fix my issues, il leave 2 back to back data logs from that day if anyone wants to take a look and let me know what you think.
2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost
BC Coilovers
Trans mounts
Unleashed e30 Tune

SM105K

It seems normal for a E30 tune with a stock HPFP to struggle while it is cold outside.  Most guys only run the E30 tunes while it is warm.  I will log my SHO next week to see what happens with my E30 tune in 50 to 60 degree weather.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Jordan

I run e30 temperatures allowing. Anything under 40 degrees Fahrenheit I just run 93 out of safety concerns but 40 around 55 degrees I'll run my 14 psi e30 tune with heavy throttle control. Anything above that I'll run my finalized 15 psi e30 tune. Anything lower than those temperatures for my specific tunes. I am not comfortable with doing. Once you get down to below freezing even on 93 with a low boost (13 psi) you can still be draining the fuel system. At 10 degrees ambient on 93 (30 ish degrees iat2) I was dipping fuel pressure to some not so safe areas between shifts. So it's heavily dependant on how far you want to push your car and how much throttle control your tuner puts in place. Torrie has been known to push things very hard so I'd be careful and look at the data closely
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

SM105K

Quote from: Jordan on January 04, 2019, 11:58:23 AM
I run e30 temperatures allowing. Anything under 40 degrees Fahrenheit I just run 93 out of safety concerns but 40 around 55 degrees I'll run my 14 psi e30 tune with heavy throttle control. Anything above that I'll run my finalized 15 psi e30 tune. Anything lower than those temperatures for my specific tunes. I am not comfortable with doing. Once you get down to below freezing even on 93 with a low boost (13 psi) you can still be draining the fuel system. At 10 degrees ambient on 93 (30 ish degrees iat2) I was dipping fuel pressure to some not so safe areas between shifts. So it's heavily dependant on how far you want to push your car and how much throttle control your tuner puts in place. Torrie has been known to push things very hard so I'd be careful and look at the data closely

So in your case, 55 degrees and above you run a lower boost E30 tune. Pretty sure I am falling in that boat.  On your 93 octane tune while under 40 degrees are you seeing considerably more knock vs say 75 to 80 degrees?
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Jordan

Quote from: sm105k on January 04, 2019, 12:09:32 PM

So in your case, 55 degrees and above you run a lower boost E30 tune. Pretty sure I am falling in that boat.  On your 93 octane tune while under 40 degrees are you seeing considerably more knock vs say 75 to 80 degrees?

40-55 I've been running my 14psi e30 tune. Anything above I'll run my 15 psi finalized version. I see no knock other than a random .5 here and there no matter the temperature. I'm set up to add timing if the knock sensors are happy so I never end up actually pulling any.

SM105K

Quote from: Jordan on January 04, 2019, 01:53:51 PM
Quote from: sm105k on January 04, 2019, 12:09:32 PM

40-55 I've been running my 14psi e30 tune. Anything above I'll run my 15 psi finalized version. I see no knock other than a random .5 here and there no matter the temperature. I'm set up to add timing if the knock sensors are happy so I never end up actually pulling any.

I haven't driven my car in the "cold" here yet.  The lowest the car will probably see is 45 ish.  So it will be interesting to see what the logs say.

ClearwaterSHO

I  have run AJP's E30 tune in 20 degrees. I didn't log it, but she ran fine. I wasn't really on it much though.
2013 NON-PP SHO Tuxedo Black
Unleashed 3 Bar Tune -12.865 @ 106.5
AJP POWERED Tune - 12.59 @ 108.?

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

Chris_Flex

Thanks for all the input. I'll  have to run a data log on the 93 tune and see how fuel pressure is and go from there.

If I'm having issues  with 93 tune in the winter maybe il get him to make it a more conservative  tune

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost
BC Coilovers
Trans mounts
Unleashed e30 Tune

SHOdded

Helps to play with the 93 fuel.  Brand quality apparently is different in different areas.  Shell may be best, or Sunoco, or Exxon.  Worth a shot.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

I run Ajp E30 tune almost year round in CO and my fuel pressure stays rock solid. NO throttle control BUT i have the wastegate mod and it helps tremendously. stabilizes FRP despite the weather etc.
also my load range isn't quite as high as you sea level guys.
i do make it a point to watch FRP when it gets real cold. but it always stays north of 1700psi so rally nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Macgyver

AJP E30 when I am not running the AJP E85 tune. No issues with temp and fuel pressure on either tune.

Jordan

I just want to add a little tidbit of info here as I think it's very relevant. Your fuel pressure is going to be heavily dependent on a few things. Boost, Temperature and Elevation. Lower boost isn't going to be as demanding. Lower temperature is going to be more demanding. Higher elevation is going to be less demanding. Without this information it's hard to compare apples to apples.