• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Banks iDash 1.8 super gauge

Started by 2013blksho, January 04, 2019, 09:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2013blksho

I was just wondering if anyone has looked at the Banks idash 1.8 gauge.  They have some videos on YouTube talking about air density vs boost which is not really that new per say but great info on it.  He uses it to measure the intake restriction on his supercharged mercury marauder.  I'm in the hvac world any as a designer flow is all I work with and I can tell you that density is a largely missed aspect of air measurement.  Anyway just wanted so opinions on this from you all.  Check it put pretty great info at the least

www.shop.bankspower.com/series-2-idash-1-8-super-gauge-and-datamonster.html

SM105K

Quote from: 2013blksho on January 04, 2019, 09:08:39 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has looked at the Banks idash 1.8 gauge.  They have some videos on YouTube talking about air density vs boost which is not really that new per say but great info on it.  He uses it to measure the intake restriction on his supercharged mercury marauder.  I'm in the hvac world any as a designer flow is all I work with and I can tell you that density is a largely missed aspect of air measurement.  Anyway just wanted so opinions on this from you all.  Check it put pretty great info at the least

www.shop.bankspower.com/series-2-idash-1-8-super-gauge-and-datamonster.html

Density and Volume are more important then intake restriction measurement (Boost PSI) which I am sure you know.

So for everyone else... Which is better 500 cfm @ 3 psi or 500 cfm @ 10 psi?
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

4sfed

Quote from: sm105k on January 04, 2019, 09:42:02 AM

First off, I love multiple choice! :)

Second, this gauge seems pretty cool.

Third, if better = more horsepower, I'll go with 500 cfm @ 10 psi.
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

SM105K

Quote from: 4sfed on January 04, 2019, 09:57:37 AM
Quote from: sm105k on January 04, 2019, 09:42:02 AM

First off, I love multiple choice! :)

Second, this gauge seems pretty cool.

Third, if better = more horsepower, I'll go with 500 cfm @ 10 psi.

It's a trick question.....both theoretically should make the same HP if atmospheric conditions are the same.

However, if the turbo that makes 500 cfm @ 3 psi is turned up to 9 psi.... we can assume it should produce more then 1000 cfm if not more.  That is called turbo efficiency. 

We can quickly go down the rabbit hole about boost psi (remember that it is a measurement of restriction).  More boost usually means more heat, more compressor surge, more back pressure, higher IAT's ect. Sometimes more isn't better, esp if you are operating outside of the compressor map. The small turbos on our SHO's I believe are a bit undersized. However, they do work well in the bottom and mid range great.  I think twin 58 mm turbos would be awesome on these cars.

However, it is widely accepted that more volume (cfm) with less boost pressure is better.   
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

4sfed

Quote from: sm105k on January 04, 2019, 10:43:49 AM

It's a trick question.....both theoretically should make the same HP if atmospheric conditions are the same.

However, if the turbo that makes 500 cfm @ 3 psi is turned up to 9 psi.... we can assume it should produce more then 1000 cfm if not more.  That is called turbo efficiency. 

We can quickly go down the rabbit hole about boost psi (remember that it is a measurement of restriction).  More boost usually means more heat, more compressor surge, more back pressure, higher IAT's ect. Sometimes more isn't better, esp if you are operating outside of the compressor map. The small turbos on our SHO's I believe are a bit undersized. However, they do work well in the bottom and mid range great.  I think twin 58 mm turbos would be awesome on these cars.

However, it is widely accepted that more volume (cfm) with less boost pressure is better.   

Tricky.....I'd like to change my answer. :)  But wait...isn't more ALWAYS better? ;)

Thinking about this more....HP gain/loss aside, wouldn't the air velocity be higher with the 500@10?  if it's flowing same amount of air at a higher pressure, I assume you'd have to have a more constricted opening, no?
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

SM105K

Quote from: 4sfed on January 04, 2019, 11:50:58 AM
Quote from: sm105k on January 04, 2019, 10:43:49 AM

Tricky.....I'd like to change my answer. :)  But wait...isn't more ALWAYS better? ;)

Thinking about this more....HP gain/loss aside, wouldn't the air velocity be higher with the 500@10?  if it's flowing same amount of air at a higher pressure, I assume you'd have to have a more constricted opening, no?

Hehe, there is more.....take a trip....

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401958

It is actually a really cool read and there are only like 7 posts.

glock-coma

Just a heads up, that banks link came up as a non secure website from my phone antivirus.

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

As expected, it is a party line LOL
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

2013blksho

The air velocity is only as good as what it holds, and only then can you say more is better right.  I work alot with hot water systems and when I explain to contractors about velocity and DELTA T ( temp change)  with water flow all i say is that you can move the same amount of heat 2x faster and 1/2 as slow but it is the same amount of heat... but the thing that chances is time.  With these cars the turbo was selected i can only imagine for good low end torque till about 100 mph because most of these SHO will have a wife in the passenger seat and at about 100 you feel the car just leave 3rd gear and really start to pull and that's when she slaps you saying" knock it off".  So bigger turbo is what we on the forum would have loved but ford listened to the wife.

I just copied and pasted the link i was on when looking at it... sorry if that didn't work.