• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Anyone Ever Replaced their Rack and Pinion? (Steering Gear)

Started by ClearwaterSHO, January 03, 2019, 07:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClearwaterSHO

About two days ago, I noticed a weird vibration, almost grinding sound when I turned my steering wheel. Put the car on the rack today, and whatever it is, you can feel it in the tie rod ends vibrating. Good friend of mine, who is an ASE Master Tech, thinks it's the rack and pinion.

1st Question: Has anyone ever had this issue?

2nd Question: Has anyone ever replaced the system?

Looking at the FSM, looks like I have to drop the Subframe. I have a shop and a lift, but not sure I want to use a vacation day messing with it. Prices for the system run between $500 to $999, searching the web. RockAuto is sold out. Another thing worrying me is if there is any calibration that needs to be done and if so, probably has to be done by the dealership.

Thoughts?
2013 NON-PP SHO Tuxedo Black
Unleashed 3 Bar Tune -12.865 @ 106.5
AJP POWERED Tune - 12.59 @ 108.?

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

ZSHO

I never changed it but there is a recall on certain model years affected IIRC! Do you have any type of ESP warranty! BTW Welcome back.  .
Here is a good link to give you some insight.  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5805.msg91590.html#msg91590

EPAS Power Steering article mid page....

https://www.hendonpub.com/police_fleet_manager/articles/2012/1112/ford_nextgen_police_interceptor_tech_training_part

The power steering system: Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS). This is not all-electric steering. Instead, a 12-volt reversible motor uses a toothed belt connected to the steering gear rack to assist (assist-only) the rack and pinion steering. This function is controlled by the Power Steering Control Module....

Under some maintenance circumstances, the electric motor can get hot. It does not have a separate cooler. The DTC "power steering assist fault" may be set and displayed during an overheating event, but the light may disappear after the system cools down. "Service Steering" means a condition has been detected where the steering assist will be shut down on the next key off. "Service Steering Now" means the electric assist has been shut down.

What conditions would cause the EPAS to overheat? You could be thinking that aggressive EVOC-style driving would do it. Not really. It is primarily due to anything that can cause a bind (of any kind) in the steering: bad ball joints, steering friction or interference, bad rag joint, and rack contamination.

That also means if the inner tie rods are changed, great care must be taken to prevent contamination. The correct lube must be used—the wrong lube must not be used. This whole system, including the steering torque sensor, is very sensitive. Dirt, dust or even the wrong kind of lube will cause a bind. That will cause the EPAS motor to work too hard....

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ClearwaterSHO

Thanks Z. I saw that there was a recall, but when I called Ford they told me my VIN was a no go. I haven't had the fuel module recall done yet, or the door latches. I figure they can do the TSB's, the steering, and the recalls. I'll just drink a beer instead, lol. I always lurk. I just don't post a lot because I usually lurk at work. This is the first thing I've come across that someone else on the forum hadn't experienced. If I had more time, I'd do this myself, just the part is already so expensive. I figure the extra and they will align it again too, I don't have to bust my knuckles and swear more than usual.

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

ZSHO

I would get the recalls done @ your earliest convenience and focus on the rack...
I would NOT DRIVE it especially if any codes are set..
Did you happen to check for DTC'S!
Best of luck.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ClearwaterSHO

I haven't checked for DTC's yet. I can work from home too, so no problem not driving it. I need to get a 2BAR and take her back to stock. Then I have to get the new strategy when it comes back? I forget. I guess I could go searching through the forums for all that.

SHOdded

Or you could look at the signature in my posts, LOL.

Yes take it back to stock first.  Check strategy upon retrieval from shop.  If different, get updated tune, then load it in.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ClearwaterSHO

Lol, I actually found your signature a few moments after I posted. You guys are amazing! I've put 60k on this car in three years. I've been to the track weekly almost since I got it as well. I've taken a challenge from a kid with a honda in Memphis, drove to Memphis from Tampa, smoked a few kids in Hondas and some cars that needed driver mod, drove it home. I LOVE the SHO and that AJP E30 tune makes her move out pretty good.

SHOdded

You could prob run that E tune yearround, but nowadays, even FL gets chilly in the winter season, or should I say they HAVE a winter season now LOL.

Easy to put on miles ... Drove my SHO 30K the first year I had it LOL.  Back n forth from the office, and a LOT of crosscountry business trips.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

nickstewartroc

Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on January 04, 2019, 09:57:24 AM
Lol, I actually found your signature a few moments after I posted. You guys are amazing! I've put 60k on this car in three years. I've been to the track weekly almost since I got it as well. I've taken a challenge from a kid with a honda in Memphis, drove to Memphis from Tampa, smoked a few kids in Hondas and some cars that needed driver mod, drove it home. I LOVE the SHO and that AJP E30 tune makes her move out pretty good.

What track do you go to? I hit up OSW here and there
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

ZSHO

Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on January 04, 2019, 07:03:07 AM
I haven't checked for DTC's yet. I can work from home too, so no problem not driving it. I need to get a 2BAR and take her back to stock. Then I have to get the new strategy when it comes back? I forget. I guess I could go searching through the forums for all that.
If your looking for a 2-bar map sensor,might have an extra! LOL. Shoot me a PM.  Z    :)

SM105K

Ask Brad for a 3 bar stock tune.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

Note that when taking it in for service, still have to return to 2 bar and stock tune.  A 3 bar tune is still a custom tune.

ClearwaterSHO

Quote from: nickstewartroc on January 04, 2019, 10:11:08 AM

What track do you go to? I hit up OSW here and there

I go to Showtime and Bradenton.

ClearwaterSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on January 04, 2019, 11:51:42 AM
Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on January 04, 2019, 07:03:07 AM
If your looking for a 2-bar map sensor,might have an extra! LOL. Shoot me a PM.  Z    :)

I already ordered one. =( Wish I would have seen this before, lol.

ClearwaterSHO

For those interested. Final bill from Ford was 2500 and some change to replace the rack and pinion.