• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

NavTool Apple CarPlay/Android Auto for Taurus

Started by ShoBoat, January 02, 2019, 10:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

Hey Guys,
I figure i'd share the love over here as this is also available for the Taurus. I've had it in my V for about a week now and am loving it. See below for the link and my post. The interface is identical for the Taurus as Carplay is universal. I am guessing this is more relevant for the 2010 to 2012 cars as the MFT is a little more updated although buggy.

https://www.navtool.com/ford-taurus-2010-2012-apple-carplay.aspx

https://www.navtool.com/ford-taurus-2013-2018-apple-carplay.aspx

For the longest time since I watched a YouTube vid of this Russian shop do a custom install in a CTS where they used the OEM screen and added a ton of functionally I really wanted that! However that didn't go anywhere.... Just before Christmas I was looking at either the Tesla screen or the Metra kit. However I was on the fence with these 2 options. I wasn't crazy about how the Metra looked in the car. The Tesla screen while it looked great and very updated had lots of issues. It really seemed to be hit and miss with it. I really wanted to upgrade the factory Nav, and I was getting really tired of the whole bluetooth audio through the Aux port. They just increased the fines for distracted driving in Ontario to obscene amounts and points to boot. I came across a vid from NavTool, it seemed too good to be true! Full CarPlay with HDMI mirroring, I watched the entire 55 min video. The really cool thing about this unit is that all the OEM stuff is still there. Ok I was sold.

IMG_1486 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

IMG_1487 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

IMG_1489 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

Below is the installation Vid from NavTool, it covers almost everything. The install is pretty straight forward, this will be one time you wish you had smaller hands. To get the factory head unit back into place with all the extra wiring was a PITA, if you can get your hands in there be prepared for lots of nicks and cuts. Everything back there is pretty sharp. I wound up using zip ties to hold the wiring up above the rear lip of the hole the HU goes into. Once you get it apart you will see what I am talking about.   

[video=youtube;SdLHkQhjSBc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdLHkQhjSBc[/video]

I wasn't crazy about having the mic hanging off the visor, there is a small LED light in the centre of the over head console that is supposed to illuminate the shifter. Doesn't do squat, I removed it drilled out the back side just enough to fit the mic. You need to use the foam on the mic or you will get some weird noises when using it for calls. Route the wire across the headliner, down the A pillar across the front of the dash. There will be a small opening just beside the centre channel that you can fish the wire through to the HU. Your bluetooth will still work and you can use that if you want, however you need to go through the steering wheel voice button. Say hands free and then voice. If you want voice commands like "Hey Siri" you have to install the mic somewhere.

IMG_1498 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

IMG_1497 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

You must connect the yellow RCA on the main harness to the rear camera input on the Navtool unit. You won't be able to see the rear camera in the "interface mode" if you don't. However it doesn't switch to the camera automatically when in CarPlay and in reverse. It still does if you are not in the interface. This for me is just a minor annoyance and their support team is working on a fix. (Sorry don't have a pic of this)

If you get any flickering in the display when you have finished your install you need to cut the wire and isolate it in the picture below. 

IMG_1478 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

The brain for the NavTool I located on the right side below the vent, see picture. Lots of space in there and secured it with some velcro. It makes it kinda easy to remove to change settings or updates.

IMG_8969 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

I used the following HDMI and USB plug and replaced the old Sig lighter adapter. This plugs into the NavTool and so far works great.

IMG_1488 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073HZ4STM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_BSzgCbCBNV6R6

If you get stuck in this screen hold the top left corner until it exits.

IMG_8972 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

The interface doesn't turn off until the car goes to sleep, so if you turn off the car the screen will go down and it will stay on for about 15 seconds after you key off. If you exit the interface before you key off it shuts off normally.

I think thats pretty much it. Its great to have another option for our cars! Enjoy.

At the time of this post the kit was $549.00 USD - a 10% coupon code if you ask them, plus the cig adapter for $25.00
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

nickstewartroc

Does the touchscreen work to control the phone? Doesn't really say on the site. I think I'd still rather go with a Sync 3 swap
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

EcoPowerParts

You mean my CTS-V archiac setup could work and keep the screen? AWESOME.
Might look at this for my Tremor too!
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

ShoBoat

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on January 02, 2019, 06:44:19 PM
You mean my CTS-V archiac setup could work and keep the screen? AWESOME.
Might look at this for my Tremor too!

Yup, a much needed upgrade lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

EcoPowerParts

HDMI input on my Caddy would be AWESOME for gaugeart gauges I have!!
Nice find!
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts