• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LOW Engine Oil Pressure dash light

Started by shaundizzle15, December 28, 2018, 03:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaundizzle15

Hey guys as thread title states, hop in the car to leave work and this dash light appears. Pull out my code reader out and nothing. Pop the hood and check dipstick and I'm at the bottom of the mark so I add 1 quart fire up the car and then check again. Dipstick right bear the top of the full mark. I also checked under the car no leaks. The dash light however persists. It's running normally minus the dash light.  2013 taurus SHO. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

-Shaun
Hockey/Golf/Car geek, Beagle loving, and totally comfortable with it.
Tuxedo Black nonPP 2013 SHO traded in
Shadow Black nonPP 2016 SHO
VTA, and tuned by GH

ZSHO

Check the CAC (intercooler) with the same oil dip stick through the TB side!
It could be a faulty PCV -Oil Sep and check the Rear valve cover for leaks. 
How many miles! Motorcraft oil filter!  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3056.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

shaundizzle15

106k on the car going to check out the valve cover, always motorcraft oil filter and since I've owned the car(55k) amsoil
VTA, and tuned by GH

shaundizzle15

No oil on the rear valve cover either...
VTA, and tuned by GH

SHOdded

How many miles on this oil change?  There is a TSB (?) out on valve covers/pcv valves causing oil consumption and blue smoke.  Does this sound feasible in your case?  If so, you are due for an updated valve cover/PCV valve & separator.
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.msg79067.html#msg79067

Interesting that the light persists even after topping off the oil.  I don't think that was the issue to begin with, because we have had cases where the oil went as low as 2-3 quarts before the light came on (!), yes, really!  So it could be a bad oil pressure switch (possibly leaking from there as well), or a glitch in the instrument cluster needing an updated calibration.  That we would need to look through available TSBs for 2013+
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.0.html
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shaundizzle15

Just under 2k on this oil change. I haven't changed the pcv valve yet. I haven't noticed any blue smoke but I usually run 6 quarts of oil and usually end up with 5.5ish with 5k oil change intervals.
VTA, and tuned by GH

shaundizzle15

Can I drive with a bad oil pressure switch? This couldn't really happen at a worse time as far as getting into the dealer to have them look at it.
VTA, and tuned by GH

ZSHO

How many miles driven since adding the exra quart of oil! The light might go away after a certain amount of mileage! Dunno!
If you have time you can try to remove the Oil Sep to check if FULL as pictured below. If Full try to suck it out with a simple turkey baster for the time being especially if original...
I would also check the air intake Hoses for oil.

I would check the oil level on a daily basis or until sorted out and proceed with caution is advised IMHO. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

So you were down a quart in 2K when the normal is 1/2 a quart in 5K.  Definitely cause for concern.  Yes you can drive with a bad EOP switch, but like Z said, monitor daily.  And check the valve/separator.  The intercooler to see if there is buildup.  And of course turbo hoses for pooling oil.

What is the production date on the oil bottles used for the current fill vs the last fill?  Any idea?  I believe Amsoil reformulated around November 2017.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shaundizzle15

So went looked at my ams bottles and apparently I only bought 5 :/ so that would explain the oil level. Still haven't found any leaks of any kind. Decided to take it in as it's my dd and I don't have a backup ride. I will post some updates when I get some info. Thanks Z, SHOdded for the help much appreciated.
VTA, and tuned by GH

SHOdded

Whoo thats a relief, I tell ya!  Good luck, I hope they get your SHO fixed quick!

ZSHO

It's sometimes better to be on the safe side especially it being your DD. Z

shaundizzle15

Well good news, it was the oil pressure switch. Still got some maintenance items to take care of ie the pcv update, but glad it wasn't something more serious.
VTA, and tuned by GH

SHOdded

Yeah these EOPs are notorious for failures.  Am seeing a lot of failures especially on 2011+ Edges, 2011 was a redesign year.  2007-10 have hardly ever had issues with this switch even with 300+K mile vehicles.  Something changed, and not for the better LOL.

Enjoy, be worry free :)

Citationdoc

My '13 non-PP is doing same thing.  Started getting light at <800 RPM now up to 1200 RPM to make go out.  Most likely problem is related to TWO dead turbos, now puking oil but COULD be the switch.  But I've also noted that I get no heat at idle, but it will warm up just fine if I rev just a bit (> 1000 RPM).  My mech says the idle is all catty-wampus, again most likely due to P0299 code due to 2 dead turbines; but that doesn't explain the no heat issue.  I suspect it's the water pump impeller corroding or pump in imminent failure mode.

Soooooooooooo......My girlfriend is going into my mech on the 14th to get timing chains, water pump, oil pump, turbos, vacuum solenoid/valve, EOP switch all replaced, .  I'm going with  OEM turbos after an hour on the phone with Dave and Anthony over at Livernois debating pros/cons of upgraded turbos.  Even Mike Bambic's upgraded CHRA's would require putting on upgraded HPFP and, and, and....So just gonna keep it stock for time being.  However, I am going to splurge and install Mike's Hot Pipe upgrade (in RED powder-coat w/ RED silicon connectors)! 

She's my DD and has 167K on her.  I never track her, just love seeing shocked looks from Hemi and 'Vette jockey's when I leave them behind and BEATING THE SNOT out of impetuous and precocious youngsters in their obnoxious fart can equipped rice-rockets LOL!

All in all I'm gonna be into this for about $4K when all is done (labor included).  I think that's worth keeping my green eyed doll on the road for a few more years!

Happy New Year all, and a special shout out to SHOdded who has been an absolute SAINT helping me sort out parts and such.  He's a SUPER valuable member and I always appreciate his help and support on this and the SHO forum!
Flying in the air AND on the ground!
2013 SHO Green Gem Metallic
LMS Stage 1, Windstorm CAI, 3 bar MAP, 160 TS