• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Timing chains

Started by buck91, December 22, 2018, 05:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck91

Has anybody done the timing chains on their explorer sport?  This has become a necessary repair on our 2014 and I am looking at options.  If there was access similar to the trucks I'd jump on it but man that engine is wedged in there...

Does the engine need to be pulled in this vehicle to do the chains or with the motor mount removed will there be just enough room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

The main things to watch for are putting on the cam holders, and watching the new RTV seal on the timing cover.  Where most people end up having to re-do the job because they skip steps.  Sometimes the new chain will look different in markings than the old chain, so always compare the old and new side by side while they are out of the vehicle before installing the new parts.

Good time to do the VCT solenoids and water pump as well.

No the engine does not need to be out of the vehicle, and yes it IS wedged in there.  That is why it is listed as a 14 hour job.  Go in thru the fender well after removing the liner, take your time.  Even the pros are allowed to charge 14 hours book time.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

buck91

It's looking pretty tight.  Yeah that motor mount can be removed but I guess I'll have to lift it up and check out the fender access first...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanJett

Any signs we should look for when they start failing?

SHOdded

Mostly rattling beyond 2-3 seconds at startup.  Then Gradually, loss of power as timing has to be pulled.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!