• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

4 hours to replace Water Pump with engine already out?

Started by waltong, December 20, 2018, 02:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltong

Shop is quoting an additional 4 hours for replacing the water pump with the engine already out for a swap.

They are saying this is because the timing cover has to come off and that I should also get a timing kit.

I am not sure what the book hours are for just the water pump with the engine out..

AllData is scoping 12.8 hours to replace water pump with the engine in, I assume the bulk of those hours is because the engine is in and includes removal of the timing cover.

AllData is also scoping 11.8 hours just to replace the timing cover with the engine in, so I'm not clear on what portion of the hours would be for the water pump?

Wouldn't that difference in hours for the timing cover be 1 hour?

glock-coma

Water pump is in the middle of the top "V" where chain loops.
This is not my pic and it's the f150 application for the eco 3.5 but the pump and timing setup is similar.
Even with the engine out there's still a bunch a stuff that needs to be removed to swap the pump. 
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Timing chains need to come off and be put back on, so there is the extra work required.  The rest is easy peasy.  Always make sure the cams are properly locked into position first before taking the main/timing cover off.  Could have huge regrets later if not.

Advise getting new chains, tensioners, and VCT solenoids at the least along with the water pump.  Maybe an oil pump as well, tho those rarely fail on the 3.5-based engines.  OEM parts ftw!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

4sfed

Is there a recommended interval for changing the water pump?  How often do they go bad?
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

SHOdded

The water pump is lifetime LOL.  No telling when they will go.  But they will go sooner if you change the coolant later.  Fresh coolant is a must on these hot little engines.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!