• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tiny boost leak, time to kill it

Started by TopherSho, December 12, 2018, 08:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Ok I'm effing over the sound of my car under load sounding like a huge dust buster... What pipe kits replace the most or all of the boosted pipes from turbo to intake manifold fold.  I have a feeling I will never find the pin hole peicemail ...

For the details from 3000 rpm I get to hear a super not awesome loud as crap hiss. It is as loud as the the engine roar.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SM105K

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Macgyver

Shop vac. Plug the Clean output of the vac into an exhaust tip. Plug the other exhaust. Bottle of soapy spray. Spray away after you start it up. Cold of course. Look for bubbles.

ZSHO

What vicinity is it coming from! It could be your brake booster check valve! How's your brake system! 
Last resort might be to have a Smoke machine test performed.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

OK!

Brakes seem the same fine,  on softness or loss of brake over time.
I might be crazy but it seems to come from the right side

replaced one bov a month+ ago,  i will swap it with the other one and see if the noise changes.

the noise comes only under decent boost,  im not sure the soap trick will work,  but more so... are you saying suck the exhaust, plug one pipe and hose the bay down in 50 water/ 50 dish soap?

i'd love to do a smoke test.  but i live in eugene where my dealership does not even know how a boost solenoid works, i may have to find a shop further out of town.

i had planned on solid hot pipes already because i think PLASTIC flexible parts that break down over time in a boosted vehicle are silly.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

SHOdded

sure it is not the exhaust system?  just to add another item on your checklist :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Macgyver

Its really easy and you dont want that much dish soap to water. Maybe a table spoon to a spray bottle.

This will get you up to the turbos which is a good place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-exs1iMLFU

As far as the intake system. I would assume you can tie the shop vac into any of the intakes and do the same thing. I am not sure if this is safe tho.

You can still use soapy water spray to find leaks with the engine idling or someone applying revs while you spray.

lamrith

Quote from: TopherSho on December 12, 2018, 10:35:37 PM
the noise comes only under decent boost,  im not sure the soap trick will work,  but more so... are you saying suck the exhaust, plug one pipe and hose the bay down in 50 water/ 50 dish soap?

You BLOW in the exh, not suck.  Hence the dry vac as you can connect the hose to the exhaust port like MacGyver mentions.  You might also be able to blow in at the noise maker port (does not eliminate that as the leak point, but...) the challenge will be blocking off the air filter end of your system so you can build some pressure for the soapy mixture to show the leak.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

TopherSho

I may try the insert into the resonator .. im about 99% sure its not a exhaust leak.

I will need to figure out how to get under it as i only have rhino ramps but that wont let me see the rear turbo or piping very well.

it is worth a shot.  there is a ton of up top side pressurized pipping to test that way.

ZSHO

Check your intake hoses for leaks!  The front Turbo hose could be a your culprit while looking for any signs of oil around the hoses would give you a sign.

The dealer could of left the rear turbo hose loose while it was replaced a while back! Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,8226.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on December 14, 2018, 06:59:56 AM
Check your intake hoses for leaks!  The front Turbo hose could be a your culprit while looking for any signs of oil around the hoses would give you a sign. Z
The dealer could of left the rear turbo hose loose while it was replaced a while back! Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,8226.0.html

Ok will do that if the topside bubble test doesnt show a culprit.

ZSHO

Here are some Pics of the Hoses For reference posted by yours truly.  Z   :)

Mid page.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,463.3495.html

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on December 14, 2018, 10:29:35 AM

Mid page.

i hope thats not it i cant crawl that far under,  and wouldn't i see boost issues such as a wide delta between the turbo pressure and desired pressure?

TopherSho

Quote from: TopherSho on December 14, 2018, 02:11:24 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on December 14, 2018, 10:29:35 AM

Mid page.

i hope thats not it i cant crawl that far under,  and wouldn't i see boost issues such as a wide delta between the turbo pressure and desired pressure?

So if i plug the exhaust,  then plug the intake at the filter.. Are there any open by default paths for air to go out?  i have a leave blower i plan on capping the intake of the leaf blower with a filter to pressureize the system and keep the turbos from spinning without positive oil flow.

Macgyver

I am not sure.

You could rubber ball and duct tape the exhausts. adapt the blower to the main single intake? Leaf blower/shop vac on low. Not sure if the TB will cause enough of an obstruction. The turbo wheels will flow but not spin.

I am no expert here. I would be worried about too much pressure.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a3094/how-to-find-a-vacuum-leak/