• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Why not straight E85?

Started by StinkinLinkin13, December 12, 2018, 01:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpd1151

To this day I still am left wondering why so many rave about E85 being "cheap".

It gets worse mileage than pump gas, and takes more volume to achieve the same engine power as pump gas.

I really question the actual tangible (term used loosely....) "savings".

Never been a fan. Likely never will.

Alas I digress.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SM105K

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 13, 2018, 09:17:02 AM

It gets worse mileage than pump gas, and takes more volume to achieve the same engine power as pump gas.

Alas I digress.

There are many factors that contribute to people loving E85.  Certain geographic regions have different fuel as we all know. For instance here in AZ we do not have 93 octane.  We only have 91 octane.  It is also extremely hot (115+).  My IAT's during the summer get into the high 170's. Couple that with only 91 octane there is no way around having a tune that makes me happy without getting pre-ignition. 

On a E30 tune under the same conditions with more boost I have zero knock and I am happy.  My car tune only almost cracked 400AWHP in 100 degree heat with only a AJPTurbo E30 tune, K&N drop in, and 542 plugs. It also goes into mid 12's (50's) at full weight like a bracket car.  I bet with more seat time, I can get it into the 12.30 range, we will see in January. 

With E85:

The Octane is higher, cooling properties are better, it has the ability to make more power than pump gas here.  All of my boosted cars have run on the E(whatever) because they stay cooler and they run better. I also don't daily my SHO, so the decrease in fuel mileage is a non factor for me. Also look at the math. 19 gallons at $3.33 a gallon (91) is $63.65. 10 gallons at $3.33 a gallon is $33.30 + 9 gallons of E50 (pump E85 for me) at $2.59 a gallon $23.30 = $56.61  $56.61/63.65=88%.  That is 12 percent cheaper.  My SHO on 91 gets right a 400 miles per tank usually 21 mpg.  On E30 it gets 340 ish at 17.8 ish mpg. So 17.8/21= 84.7% a 16 percent drop in mileage. If I can get away with running straight E50 it will only cost me 19 gallons at $2.59 = $49.21 making my personal use of it even more justified.  So I am literally breaking even with price per mileage.  My car runs harder, does not have any knock, and I have peace of mind. Plus testing pump E85 is super easy.   

I will upgrade the HPFP one of these days.  I don't want have to worry about a meth system that is solely used as another fuel source. I would only install one on my car to clean the valves.  The more I see and hear about certain meth tunes, the more I realize for my application I went with the right choice. Plus my car makes as much HP and TQ in crap DA and heat that most Meth cars do......at lower boost and lower RPM.

For me there is no other choice. 

The picture I added was my hot E30 tune on a 360 mile drive to CA averaging 82 mph.

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

bpd1151

That explanation's appreciated sm105k. My comment(s) were/are just an overall generalization across the board. Not directed at you specifically. Just to be clear.

Makes sense I suppose if there's truly no other alternative. But I still have, and will continue to have, my own reservations. For a myriad of reasons.

I equate it with putting lipstick on a pig. Dress it up as much as one can, but in the end, it's still a pig. LOL.

Moving along......

SM105K

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 13, 2018, 10:12:19 AM
That explanation's appreciated sm105k. My comment(s) were/are just an overall generalization across the board. Not directed at you specifically. Just to be clear.

Makes sense I suppose if there's truly no other alternative. But I still have, and will continue to have, my own reservations. For a myriad of reasons.

I equate it with putting lipstick on a pig. Dress it up as much as one can, but in the end, it's still a pig. LOL.

Moving along......

BPD I know they weren't.  It is just easier for me to explain things out and why my justifications are the way they are. If I could get 93 and it ran the same way my E30 tune runs, I would run the 93 octane.  However, AZ has dogs**t for pump gas.  If I could drive my car around with 100 unleaded race fuel I would. However, at 8 to 9 dollars a gallon and $170 dollars a fill up it isn't feasible.  E50 is plentiful, cheap, and works for my application.     
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

StealBlueSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 13, 2018, 10:12:19 AM

Moving along......

Quit being a grump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

Also, you don't HAVE to have the HPFP upgrade to run E30.

You need a tuner willing to tune for it such as AJPTurbo. The HPFP gives you a cushion to run heavier E-Mixes all year round... set and forget reliability.

Jordan has ticked off consistent 11's with AJPturbos E30 tune on the stock HPFP.

It's all in what you are willing to deal with.

bpd1151

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 13, 2018, 01:08:57 PMQuit being a grump!

Ha! That made me laugh. Which was needed btw, so thank you for that there BJ.

No grumpiness here. Just don't like the E. Never have. Which is why I said earlier.....

"Alas, I digress".

StinkinLinkin13

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 13, 2018, 01:15:01 PM

Ha! That made me laugh. Which was needed btw, so thank you for that there BJ.

No grumpiness here. Just don't like the E. Never have. Which is why I said earlier.....

"Alas, I digress".

All right. I'm going to steer a little off subject here. But I've been meaning to mention as a Trekkie myself... Anytime I read your post BDP..  I read them and hear them as the voice of Data... Quite absurd isn't it Captain?😂

Ok carry on with this great discussion. Thanks for all the input guys. 👍
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

SM105K

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 13, 2018, 01:11:38 PM

You need a tuner willing to tune for it such as AJPTurbo. The HPFP gives you a cushion to run heavier E-Mixes all year round... set and forget reliability.

Jordan has ticked off consistent 11's with AJPturbos E30 tune on the stock HPFP.

This is completely true.  I want to try and click off a 11.9x down the road with a stock HPFP, E30/or 100 octane, DP's, 3rd cat delete, and Intercooler at full weight.....

Jordan

Quote from: sm105k on December 13, 2018, 01:49:02 PM

This is completely true.  I want to try and click off a 11.9x down the road with a stock HPFP, E30/or 100 octane, DP's, 3rd cat delete, and Intercooler at full weight.....

Daily without an interior forever and technically you'll always be at your full weight ;) Ha! Race fuel absolutely helps. I need to make it out early spring in the lower DA and see what she can do. The 11.98 I ran on e30 was hot hot hot!
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

SM105K

Quote from: Jordan on December 13, 2018, 05:20:34 PM
Quote from: sm105k on December 13, 2018, 01:49:02 PM

Daily without an interior forever and technically you'll always be at your full weight ;) Ha! Race fuel absolutely helps. I need to make it out early spring in the lower DA and see what she can do. The 11.98 I ran on e30 was hot hot hot!

Mine should be up and running the end of next week.  So.....yeah. Hopefully hit the track mid January.  I think I have a change at the 11 second clip with some upgrades and maybe a smaller driver....lol.

ZSHO

I have been scrolling through this great thread but how many have been able to hit the 11's benchmark without weight reduction! Sorry a bit off Topic. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Macgyver

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 13, 2018, 09:17:02 AM

Alas I digress.

E85 here in Pa costs $1.99 a gallon atm. 93 premium costs $1.30 MORE a gallon. Not hard to figure out what saves you money. 15mpg around town vs 20mpg around town. 20mpg on the highway vs 25mpg on the highway.

The Savings Are Very Tangible.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on December 13, 2018, 06:51:02 PM
I have been scrolling through this great thread but how many have been able to hit the 11's benchmark without weight reduction! Sorry a bit off Topic. Z

I forgot 802SHO is spraying meth.

802SHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 13, 2018, 07:25:29 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on December 13, 2018, 06:51:02 PM

I forgot 802SHO is spraying meth.

Hey!  Leave us meth heads out of this 😝
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20