• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Why not straight E85?

Started by StinkinLinkin13, December 12, 2018, 01:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 12, 2018, 05:12:17 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on December 12, 2018, 04:44:19 PM
There are some built in functions in the tune to ramp up the flow like what people do with the mustangs using boost a pump modules. I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade the low pressure fuel pump until you actually see a problem.

Fomo here is running E85 at around 13-14 psi if I remember in his Lincoln and I think we even did some E85 in his 15' SHO if I remember. ALso I have a few other full E85 tunes going right now.

But yes I agree if you are needing to spray meth to help with fuel flow it's kind of silly because if you spray meth on 93 you get all the octane you need plus cooling and it may very well be cheaper because your fuel economy will go down with full e85..So just run 93 and get better fuel economy and similar spark

Rich Yaklin Jr has been through a few lpfp's attempting to run an aggressive E85 tune if I recall..

I think it depends on your goals? Running E85 just to get to the same power levels you can get on straight 93 isn't worth it to me. The idea behind E85 is to use its native cooling properties to run more load without knock than you can with 93. AKA cheap race fuel.

My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the octane is race fuel like maybe even the same as some....Not sure why he would've gone through low pressure fuel pumps? He did have an older SHO..The pump is made to handle it.

I would say there are pros and cons. You could maybe make more power than 93 oct on less boost which would make life on the turbos easier..Low fuel mileage is a con. Fomos car was probably making meth levels of power according to spark and boost on his E85 tune.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Good discussion!

We are fortunate to live in states where good 93 is plentiful.  People living in AZ, CA and CO maybe more states are irrevocably stuck.  So the more clarity we can get on E85, the better.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

All correct SBS.

RY did have issues with the LPFP. As well as injectors being able to keep as well.

As have an isolated few others attempting to run the full E85 route.

I will continue personally keeping you updated on what my vendor comes up, if anything, on their end, for resolution/upgrading of the LPFP you previously sent me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Macgyver

I am currently tuning with AJP right now on Full E85. I have a Sheetz less than a mile from my house. It is $1.99 a gallon right now. I dont need a race tune. Just a drive around town tune as I do not commute. My first impressions on the highway is this tune should do around 20mpg at 70mph. Around town. 15ish. Will still save $$ considering the cost of 93oct in my area. I am not going to run this all year as I have 93 and E30 tunes from AJP. This is just a we can do it and have fun with it and it gives the SHO some versatility as far as fueling goes.

SM105K

Quote from: Macgyver on December 12, 2018, 05:35:36 PM
I am currently tuning with AJP right now on Full E85. I have a Sheetz less than a mile from my house. It is $1.99 a gallon right now. I dont need a race tune. Just a drive around town tune as I do not commute. My first impressions on the highway is this tune should do around 20mpg at 70mph. Around town. 15ish. Will still save $$ considering the cost of 93oct in my area. I am not going to run this all year as I have 93 and E30 tunes from AJP. This is just a we can do it and have fun with it and it gives the SHO some versatility as far as fueling goes.

Can you give us a quick description of your fuel system set up?
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Macgyver

SM105K

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Chris_Flex

I would love to run straight e85 and get more performance then having to mix for my e30 tune from torrie

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost
BC Coilovers
Trans mounts
Unleashed e30 Tune

SM105K

Quote from: ChrisxEco on December 12, 2018, 08:16:54 PM
I would love to run straight e85 and get more performance then having to mix for my e30 tune from torrie

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I would love to run the E54 straight out of the pump here in PHX as well.....

StinkinLinkin13

Well... I'm stuck. My indecisiveness is debilitating.😂 Either way I have to dump more cash... Just how much $$$ vs gains ratio is where I'm at. I don't mind paying if the the requirement (hpfp) is real and the benefits (gains) are tangable.

My best 1/4 time 12.8. Best trap is 109mph. (On LMS Meth tune)

Maybe I'm just being unrealistic/unreasonable in my expectations. But basically whatever (if anything) I'd be able to do to improve on that by at LEAST 5 tenths is what I'm looking for.

Here is what I find odd... My car runs great on this Meth tune. It has been the least problematic tune for me even if NOT running meth (which I am not recommending or condoning). But V11 and V11 HPFP adjusted still sputter out on the top end. I don't understand why if the meth tune is supposed to be more agressive (which the seat dyno would say it is).... We'll IDK. That's where I guess my skepticism lies when it comes to that 1.6k $ hpfp... Plus they still want meth for running e85. 🤦‍♂️
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

SM105K

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on December 12, 2018, 08:21:41 PM
Well... I'm stuck. My indecisiveness is debilitating.😂 Either way I have to dump more cash... Just how much $$$ vs gains ratio is where I'm at. I don't mind paying if the the requirement (hpfp) is real and the benefits (gains) are tangable.

Maybe I'm just being unrealistic/unreasonable in my expectations. But basically whatever (if anything) I'd be able to do to improve on that by at LEAST 5 tenths is what I'm looking for.

Here is what I find odd... My car runs great on this Meth tune. It has been the least problematic tune for me even if NOT running meth (which I am not recommending or condoning). But V11 and V11 HPFP adjusted still sputter out on the top end. I don't understand why if the meth tune is supposed to be more agressive (which the seat dyno would say it is).... We'll IDK. That's where I guess my skepticism lies when it comes to that 1.6k $ hpfp... Plus they still want meth for running e85. 🤦‍♂️

What are your goals?  See my signature and that is what I have done with Brad's E30 tune.  So those numbers were also with a popped off boost reference hose (should go even faster)....and I am plugs, K&N drop in, and TUNE only.

StealBlueSho

Well... I'm stuck. My indecisiveness is debilitating. Either way I have to dump more cash... Just how much $$$ vs gains ratio is where I'm at. I don't mind paying if the the requirement (hpfp) is real and the benefits (gains) are tangable.

Here is what I find odd... My car runs great on this Meth tune. It has been the least problematic tune for me even if NOT running meth (which I am not recommending or condoning). But V11 and V11 HPFP adjusted still sputter out on the top end. I don't understand why if the meth tune is supposed to be more agressive (which the seat dyno would say it is).... We'll IDK. That's where I guess my skepticism lies when it comes to that 1.6k $ hpfp... Plus they still want meth for running e85.

What was the DA on that run?

I ran a 12.799 on their V11 93 octane tune with the HPFP, CAI, 160tstat, and 3BAR.. the car was also heat soaked and my launch was not the best with a mid 1.85 60ft.

With meth you should be mid 12's unless your elevation is killing you...

My meth injected 2010 ran 12.4's on the LMS meth tune...

And you shouldn't be sputtering on the top end with the LMS meth tune? Unless you are injecting way too much meth as the system is a progressive system.

With the updated E30 tune from LMS I suspect I will back into the 12.4's easily with my 2016.

Jordan

They want methanol for supplementary fueling due to the e85 causing it to lean out.
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Jordan on December 12, 2018, 08:43:59 PM
Well... I'm stuck. My indecisiveness is debilitating. Either way I have to dump more cash... Just how much $$$ vs gains ratio is where I'm at. I don't mind paying if the the requirement (hpfp) is real and the benefits (gains) are tangable.

Here is what I find odd... My car runs great on this Meth tune. It has been the least problematic tune for me even if NOT running meth (which I am not recommending or condoning). But V11 and V11 HPFP adjusted still sputter out on the top end. I don't understand why if the meth tune is supposed to be more agressive (which the seat dyno would say it is).... We'll IDK. That's where I guess my skepticism lies when it comes to that 1.6k $ hpfp... Plus they still want meth for running e85.

They want methanol for supplementary fueling due to the e85 causing it to lean out.

Jordan is correct. The fuel system can't support full E85 with an aggressive tune. Spraying meth will take the load off the injectors and fuel pumps...

Are you running their DPM setup? Or a single nozzle?

Before making a purchase on the HPFP to support full E85 I would make damn sure they are willing to tune for it without the DPM setup... they may not as they are phasing out support for their single nozzle setups.

AJP turbo

Not sure I like the word can't...since I've been seeing otherwise....what is aggressive?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress