• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Why not straight E85?

Started by StinkinLinkin13, December 12, 2018, 01:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkinLinkin13

So if you have a sufficient aftermarket HPFP (more volume/psi)... Whats preventing guys from running straight E85? After speaking with a tuner (intentionally unnamed), E85 would only be tuned/used in conjunction with meth injection... which to me seems counter productive as far as wanting to avoid using meth altogether... Still running out of fuel at that point? Injectors limits? Engine hp limit?
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

StealBlueSho

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on December 12, 2018, 01:20:16 PM
So if you have a sufficient aftermarket HPFP (more volume/psi)... Whats preventing guys from running straight E85? After speaking with a tuner (intentionally unnamed), E85 would only be tuned/used in conjunction with meth injection... which to me seems counter productive as far as wanting to avoid using meth altogether... Still running out of fuel at that point? Injectors limits? Engine hp limit?

So you talked to LMS... but I digress...

We have the injectors and the pump. The fuel lines are adequate according the Gearhead. The part that is holding us up is the in tank low pressure pumps that sit in the saddle. They are your basic canister style fuel pumps which if we had a shop willing to look at them, could be an easy fix.

I had a spare pump I sent to BPD1151 for reconditioning and I THINK to be possibly modified to support more fuel flow.

That's it at this point I believe....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StinkinLinkin13

🤫😂

I wondered when that pesky LPFP might come into play. I knew we have the "transfer" unit and the LPFP. Not to mention the LPFP module. But I guess thats the game... I'd really like the ease of running e85 which is readily available in my area. Its an easy pump to get to with access panels under the seat but I've yet to see any aftermarket upgrades... Oh well... The saga continues I guess. Trying to figure out which way I wanna go next with this thing.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

SHOdded

There has been an existing LPFP solution for some time now.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on December 12, 2018, 01:59:56 PM

Ok. Let me rephrase... a DROP IN solution... not an auxiliary one. :-)

SHOdded

Fair enough, but do you not have to drop the fuel tank to swap it out?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on December 12, 2018, 02:02:04 PM
Fair enough, but do you not have to drop the fuel tank to swap it out?

No. Just pull the rear bench seat cushions. You can swap it out in under 15 minutes with little to no mess.

SHOdded

Nice.  They took away that option on the Edge in 2008 i think.

SM105K

Can you enlighten us pheasants?
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

StealBlueSho

Quote from: sm105k on December 12, 2018, 02:41:37 PM

EcoPowerParts sells an aux fuel kit. But heard rumors he doesn't anymore.

SM105K

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 12, 2018, 02:51:33 PM
Quote from: sm105k on December 12, 2018, 02:41:37 PM

EcoPowerParts sells an aux fuel kit. But heard rumors he doesn't anymore.

Maybe being local he could point me in the right direction.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

StinkinLinkin13

I would think that if the lpfp was the issue someone would have engineered a higher volume one by now. With the cost and effort of making the HPFP to leave us sold short with no lpfp upgrade seems obsurd. To run E30 and pay all that $$$ is a tough pill to swallow. I just think it makes no practical sense to have to introduce Meth injection again to run e85. Defeats the point/simplicity of trying to run E85 only... Unless theres more to it than just the lpfp.

AJP turbo

There are some built in functions in the tune to ramp up the flow like what people do with the mustangs using boost a pump modules. I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade the low pressure fuel pump until you actually see a problem.

Fomo here is running E85 at around 13-14 psi if I remember in his Lincoln and I think we even did some E85 in his 15' SHO if I remember. ALso I have a few other full E85 tunes going right now.

But yes I agree if you are needing to spray meth to help with fuel flow it's kind of silly because if you spray meth on 93 you get all the octane you need plus cooling and it may very well be cheaper because your fuel economy will go down with full e85..So just run 93 and get better fuel economy and similar spark
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on December 12, 2018, 04:44:19 PM
There are some built in functions in the tune to ramp up the flow like what people do with the mustangs using boost a pump modules. I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade the low pressure fuel pump until you actually see a problem.

Fomo here is running E85 at around 13-14 psi if I remember in his Lincoln and I think we even did some E85 in his 15' SHO if I remember. ALso I have a few other full E85 tunes going right now.

But yes I agree if you are needing to spray meth to help with fuel flow it's kind of silly because if you spray meth on 93 you get all the octane you need plus cooling and it may very well be cheaper because your fuel economy will go down with full e85..So just run 93 and get better fuel economy and similar spark

Rich Yaklin Jr has been through a few lpfp's attempting to run an aggressive E85 tune if I recall..

I think it depends on your goals? Running E85 just to get to the same power levels you can get on straight 93 isn't worth it to me. The idea behind E85 is to use its native cooling properties to run more load without knock than you can with 93. AKA cheap race fuel.

My .02