• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Why not straight E85?

Started by StinkinLinkin13, December 12, 2018, 01:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoNoff

God I wish I could get E anything around me. Us NH folks don't believe in the corn stuff I guess.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

Macgyver

Quote from: AJP turbo on December 12, 2018, 08:55:19 PM
Not sure I like the word can't...since I've been seeing otherwise....what is aggressive?

Faster than stock. As long as the FP holds out right?

I aint dragging the car on E85 thats for sure.

Maybe we can coin the phrase like "Save the Whales" Except with a low boost E85 tune its "Save the Snails".

She starts good. Runs good. Cant wait to load the next Rev.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on December 12, 2018, 08:55:19 PM
Not sure I like the word can't...since I've been seeing otherwise....what is aggressive?

LMS runs way too rich to support E85 on the stock system... lean it out a bit and adjust for ethanol stoich would free up some...

But I would say demanding 15psi (and holding it to shift) with 23 degrees of spark is a fairly aggressive. LMS can barely do that on the stock fuel system with how rich they run.

Edit: they demand 13.7ish psi on their base V11 tune and people have hesistation issues due to fuel pressure dropping. Their tunes run at .74 lambda under wot...maybe a hair richer.

It's enough to turn the tail pipes black after a few runs lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StinkinLinkin13

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 12, 2018, 08:43:31 PM
What was the DA on that run?

I ran a 12.799 on their V11 93 octane tune with the HPFP, CAI, 160tstat, and 3BAR.. the car was also heat soaked and my launch was not the best with a mid 1.85 60ft.

With meth you should be mid 12's unless your elevation is killing you...

My meth injected 2010 ran 12.4's on the LMS meth tune...

And you shouldn't be sputtering on the top end with the LMS meth tune? Unless you are injecting way too much meth as the system is a progressive system.

With the updated E30 tune from LMS I suspect I will back into the 12.4's easily with my 2016.

My goal has always been to run low to mid 12s... I am consistent 12.9. 12.8 is best 13 flat is lowest. Idk DA was high I posted it here somewhere. Ill check in a bit and edit.

To be clear the meth tune is the best tune I run I have very minimal to no sputtering even with NO meth actually being injected...(they do however scaleback the shift point on I believe the 2nd to 3rd shift several hundred rpms) I do have and have always had sputtering on the top end with the V11 and V11 HPFP adjusted tune tho that was covered in earlier threads.

Having said that I recently tried running E30 in my tank with the normally problem free Meth tune and low and behold the return of the top end sputter. Which in turn brought me to this point.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

Macgyver

What is the weight difference in the Linc compared to a 12.5sec SHO on E30?

ZSHO

The MKS is roughly a couple hundred pounds heavier than the SHO IIRC!
To the OP did not see you had Meth injection in your signature! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SM105K

Quote from: Macgyver on December 12, 2018, 09:20:01 PM

My SHO at full weight (no weight reduction) with me in it (240 lbs) and a quarter tank of gas weighs 4560 lbs. So 4320 by herself.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SM105K

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on December 12, 2018, 09:10:07 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 12, 2018, 08:43:31 PM
What was the DA on that run?

I ran a 12.799 on their V11 93 octane tune with the HPFP, CAI, 160tstat, and 3BAR.. the car was also heat soaked and my launch was not the best with a mid 1.85 60ft.

With meth you should be mid 12's unless your elevation is killing you...

My meth injected 2010 ran 12.4's on the LMS meth tune...

And you shouldn't be sputtering on the top end with the LMS meth tune? Unless you are injecting way too much meth as the system is a progressive system.

With the updated E30 tune from LMS I suspect I will back into the 12.4's easily with my 2016.

My goal has always been to run low to mid 12s... I am consistent 12.9. 12.8 is best 13 flat is lowest. Idk DA was high I posted it here somewhere. Ill check in a bit and edit.

To be clear the meth tune is the best tune I run I have very minimal to no sputtering even with NO meth actually being injected...(they do however scaleback the shift point on I believe the 2nd to 3rd shift several hundred rpms) I do have and have always had sputtering on the top end with the V11 and V11 HPFP adjusted tune tho that was covered in earlier threads.

Having said that I recently tried running E30 in my tank with the normally problem free Meth tune and low and behold the return of the top end sputter. Which in turn brought me to this point.

I have never had an issue with my E30 tune.  It has never sputtered and is not dependent on Meth.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Macgyver

Quote from: sm105k on December 12, 2018, 09:38:47 PMI have never had an issue with my E30 tune.  It has never sputtered and is not dependent on Meth.

AJP E30 ftw. Pulls amazing 60mph on. Plus the high torque low end etc etc.

StinkinLinkin13

Yea... That's where I'm at... I'm considering AJP for E30 tune. But concerned that if I am indeed having hpfp fueling issue that it may be all for not... Then as some have stated I'm not sure whether the sputtering issue is a "tuning style issue" or a true hpfp fueling issue. I have no data logging equipment tho because of the tuner I chose so here I am. It's seems as myself and SBS have had a similar path. He does have much more first hand experience with different tuners however.... Here I am trying to cheat and lets say not have to go through all that and achieve optimum results with minimal expense... 😂
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

SHOdded

I think FoMoCoSHO ran as high as E45 at one time with an AJP tune on his 2015, which was stock otherwise.  Lot of lessons learned along the way.  So E30 should be very doable on 2013+ with the stronger OEM HPFP.  Bit more of a challenge on the 2010-12 with about 500 psi less headroom, but still doable.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

limited02

Quote from: sm105k on December 12, 2018, 09:36:55 PM
Quote from: Macgyver on December 12, 2018, 09:20:01 PM

My SHO at full weight (no weight reduction) with me in it (240 lbs) and a quarter tank of gas weighs 4560 lbs. So 4320 by herself.
Just to add to this, my '12 MKS was 4670 with me (I'm 175) and I had a car seat in (35lbs?), so it was probably closer to 4,460ish lbs.  Or in short, a little over 100lbs compared to the SHO.

SM105K

Quote from: Macgyver on December 12, 2018, 10:18:49 PM
Quote from: sm105k on December 12, 2018, 09:38:47 PMI have never had an issue with my E30 tune.  It has never sputtered and is not dependent on Meth.

AJP E30 ftw. Pulls amazing 60mph on. Plus the high torque low end etc etc.

Pretty much.  Brad is the man.

SM105K

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on December 12, 2018, 10:50:46 PM
Yea... That's where I'm at... I'm considering AJP for E30 tune. But concerned that if I am indeed having hpfp fueling issue that it may be all for not... Then as some have stated I'm not sure whether the sputtering issue is a "tuning style issue" or a true hpfp fueling issue. I have no data logging equipment tho because of the tuner I chose so here I am. It's seems as myself and SBS have had a similar path. He does have much more first hand experience with different tuners however.... Here I am trying to cheat and lets say not have to go through all that and achieve optimum results with minimal expense... 😂

All of Brad's tunes have been great for me. I wonder if you are truly having HPFP issues....  It could be a "tuning style issue" as you have stated.  Honestly, if I were in your shoes and have seen the some other threads (SHO Forum) about a certain revision of a tune I would certainly be concerned. One of the main reasons I went with the SCT Livewire was because of the real time information, 10 loadable tunes, and the ability to datalog and review those logs.  I went with AJPTurbo because of the positive reviews, the performance postings, and because Brad is willing to explain why he does what he does with his tunes.  Plus I am learning along the way, and with knowledge comes power.

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on December 12, 2018, 11:24:28 PM
I think FoMoCoSHO ran as high as E45 at one time with an AJP tune on his 2015, which was stock otherwise.  Lot of lessons learned along the way.  So E30 should be very doable on 2013+ with the stronger OEM HPFP.  Bit more of a challenge on the 2010-12 with about 500 psi less headroom, but still doable.

This gets my mind thinking.  I always test what comes out of the pump here in PHX for E products.  They usually test right at E50 ish.  I wonder when it warms up, if I could get away with running E50 ish all the time.  Something to throw past Brad.  E50 is usually around 80 cents cheaper a gallon as well. Even with my hot E30 tune my fuel pressure sits in a good range that both I and Brad feel good about.  I wonder if we back it off some, I could get away with E50 on the stock HPFP.