• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Splash blending e85 to 93

Started by 18SHO, December 09, 2018, 11:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

18SHO

Anyone add a gallon or two e85 to 93 octane to lessen or eliminate any knock ? Especially running a strong 93 octane tune it could only be beneficial id imagine . Winter blend gas im sure is less potent as well.
2018 SHO PP factory stock for now
AJPTURBO E30 tune stock plugs .028 gap
5.25.19 12.53 @ 112.96 1.85 60FT 1850 DA 71 F
Best trap 113.61

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 18SHO on December 09, 2018, 11:30:32 AM
Anyone add a gallon or two e85 to 93 octane to lessen or eliminate any knock ? Especially running a strong 93 octane tune it could only be beneficial id imagine . Winter blend gas im sure is less potent as well.

Yes, LOTs of guys do it. A gallon to two TOPs, however, you may have fuel pressure issues depending on the tune.

Best bet would be to ask your tuner, based on your logs, if a couple gallons are safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 09, 2018, 11:32:49 AM

Yes, LOTs of guys do it. A gallon to two TOPs, however, you may have fuel pressure issues depending on the tune.

Best bet would be to ask your tuner, based on your logs, if a couple gallons are safe.

Yep^ ask your tuner. They know best on what your tune is doing.
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

18SHO

Not pointing any fingers, wish it was that easy guys . Reason why I'm resorting to the forum for some answers. Anyone who can look at my logs and help would be appreciated.
Best trap 113.61

SHOdded

How much knock are you seeing?  What does your OAR settle to?  Tried different stations/brands?  Many resort to a lower octane tune with higher octane fillups for the winter.  Staying away from MORE ethanol during this time is recommended.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

18SHO

Quote from: SHOdded on December 09, 2018, 07:17:11 PM
How much knock are you seeing?  What does your OAR settle to?  Tried different stations/brands?  Many resort to a lower octane tune with higher octane fillups for the winter.  Staying away from MORE ethanol during this time is recommended.

Below -1.00 often a couple different stations. Ethanol less then 20% won't hurt anything in winter. They say not too much ethanol in winter for startup issue . Drove my s550 mustang with flex fuel tune 40 % it was good anything higher it was hard at starting sometimes
Best trap 113.61

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 18SHO on December 09, 2018, 06:20:52 PM
Not pointing any fingers, wish it was that easy guys . Reason why I'm resorting to the forum for some answers. Anyone who can look at my logs and help would be appreciated.

If you want to PM me I will be happy to look at the logs, you getting them from an SCT device?

18SHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on December 09, 2018, 08:47:09 PM
Quote from: 18SHO on December 09, 2018, 06:20:52 PM

If you want to PM me I will be happy to look at the logs, you getting them from an SCT device?

Yes sir SCT X4 , I'll PM you tommorow thanks
Best trap 113.61

Jordan

I can also check out your logs if you want.
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

SHOdded

Should be able to attach the logs to your posts also to get multiple sets of eyes on it, if you want.  Or you can get a google drive/dropbox account, upload there and plant a link here :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

There is a bunch of info on here, but first I would be talking to tuner and see what they say.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Livernois Motorsports

I would definitely check your data logs and ask your tuner first but typically we see on a car with a 93 tune and some bolt ons that fuel pressure starts to drop around 70 degrees and the colder it gets the more the fuel system will struggle, if you had an accommodating mod like a HPFP then a couple gallons mixed would be no problem, as you could do an E30 tune on this setup

ZSHO

If you're not too certain on the proper mixture,ratio just add a bottle of Heet preferably the (yellow bottle) @ every fill up especially during the cold winter months.  Z 

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

18SHO was kind enough to send me a couple logs, he is good to go. His logs actually show near perfect fuel pressure 2000+psi.. and almost no knock.. less than +1KR (.8 iirc) at worst.

I think it was a polish notation issue.. SCT reports adding spark with negative knock values and pulling spark with positive KR values..

18SHO tune looks very well done for the fuel he is running.

AJP turbo

Near perfect? LOL I love this log. The 3rd gear pull shows perfectly flat fuel pressure and this is a sustained commanded boost of 14 psi from 2700rpm to redline. Boost is green, nice and flat through the entire rev range.

And in the multi gear pull fuel pressure is basically unaffected even with boost spikes of 16.77 psi....And some of the very small dipping that you see is not due to too much boost or the fuel system being pushed but rather from the increased fuel demand and how quickly the boost is ramping...I've seen the stock tune do this..I've said this before but the fuel system stock is pretty strong but hates to be ramped on

When you get boost spikes the fuel system has a hard time keeping up due to reaction time and not due to flow limitations..Control the spike then you can control the pressure dip....With in reason or barring a mechanical problem.

ALso this was in 50 degree temps with IAT's being lower than 100 so I thought this looked decent. 
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress