• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU Failing??

Started by sub_ETCS_ret, December 04, 2018, 06:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sub_ETCS_ret

So it doesn't really sound like that but I still think you may be right. It sounds more like a piece of hard plastic slapping the firewall and not such a click like in the video. As a mater of fact I can probably count the number of clicks during the turn. I have a turn I make everyday and in that turn I think it clicks 4 times. It could also be described as slightly muffled. I'm going to open my window today and see if I can here it. I tried driving in circles and it doesn't do what the video shows. It only seems to happen on a more severe turn under acceleration. I even took it to a parking lot and tried hard turns under acceleration and couldn't make it happen. The car has 38k on it.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

15 SHO NonPP. 3bar map, OEM plugs gapped 0.030, AJPTurbo tuned.

ZSHO

Quote from: sub_ETCS_ret on December 05, 2018, 11:12:15 AM
Quote from: SHOdded on December 04, 2018, 09:00:10 PM
It is the correct video in that it explains the reason we think the axle might be involved :)
Yesterday it was a video of the uniden radar detector. I believe it was corrected with the right video.

Glad it wasn't a naughty video!  Z :D

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Could be a loose shield then.  The underbody shield has to be removed for servicing, perhaps one or more corners are loose enough to make a sound during the turn.  Or could be a brake dust shield but that would be metallic sounding.  Fender splash shield possibly.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: ZSHO on December 05, 2018, 11:31:41 AM
Quote from: sub_ETCS_ret on December 05, 2018, 11:12:15 AM
Quote from: SHOdded on December 04, 2018, 09:00:10 PM
It is the correct video in that it explains the reason we think the axle might be involved :)
Yesterday it was a video of the uniden radar detector. I believe it was corrected with the right video.

Glad it wasn't a naughty video!  Z :D

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: SHOdded on December 05, 2018, 11:37:13 AM
Could be a loose shield then.  The underbody shield has to be removed for servicing, perhaps one or more corners are loose enough to make a sound during the turn.  Or could be a brake dust shield but that would be metallic sounding.  Fender splash shield possibly.
I don't think it's the splash shield (that was my first thought when this happened). It sounded like an axle turning and the splash shield hitting it. But I'll check the underbody and the brake shield. I'll recheck the fender splash shield.

ZSHO

Check the front wheels for any play while moving it side to side and check for any signs of leaks under the vehicle...
Did you happen to check for any Codes! 

BTW It could be the Spline axle shaft your hearing! If that's the case need to make sure you get a set of updated (metal) thrust Washers.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: ZSHO on December 05, 2018, 12:06:17 PM
Check the front wheels for any play while moving it side to side and check for any signs of leaks under the vehicle...
Did you happen to check for any Codes! 

BTW It could be the Spline axle shaft your hearing! If that's the case need to make sure you get a set of updated (metal) thrust Washers.  Z

Thanks! Last time I checked there weren't any codes. I'll check again.

sub_ETCS_ret

Checked the transmission fluid level and it was at the bottom of the cross hatches on the dipstick. Added some fluid and will see how it acts later today.

Going to be completely honest here. I've owned well over 20 different cars in my life, some new and some beaters, and this is the first time I've ever had to add transmission fluid. Is this something common on the SHO? Just curious If it's something I should keep a constant vigil on.

ZSHO

Need to get the SHO up in the air and inspect for leaks around the Half Shaft plus check for wheel play my friend! I had a feeling the Trans fluid was going to be on the low side as mentioned on my initial post. Z 

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: ZSHO on December 06, 2018, 12:37:51 PM
Need to get the SHO up in the air and inspect for leaks around the Half Shaft plus check for wheel play my friend! I had a feeling the Trans fluid was going to be on the low side as mentioned on my initial post. Z
I agree. I'll keep you posted.

SHOdded

Normally do not need to keep on eye on trans fluid level.  Assuming it is filled correctly to begin with.  On level ground  in park, engine running, normal trans operating temp.

If it leaks, usually it will leak into the PTU then out the vent. 
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sub_ETCS_ret

OK, the fluid didn't change the sound.

I'm thinking I'll try the thrust bearing first. If it's not the thrust bearing can anyone point me to the directions to remove the half shaft?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Dunno if Gen 5 is different from Gen 4 half shaft removal procedure.  Had posted for a 2010 a while back, will post for a 2013 soon.

SHOdded

2014 Taurus Front Shafts Axles R&R

ZSHO

I'm hoping it's something simple as rust buildup around the spline and a faulty thrust washer can lead to your issues due to lack of grease inside the perimeter.  Z

PDF Below...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiQlZKd29scTd0eUU/view?usp=drivesdk