• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU Failing??

Started by sub_ETCS_ret, December 04, 2018, 06:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sub_ETCS_ret

I'm getting a weird noise from the front right side of the car. It's mainly when the car is cold and turning left under acceleration. It sounds like a clicking or something slapping the firewall from the front right side by the passenger's feet. When the wheel gets straightened it stops.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
15 SHO NonPP. 3bar map, OEM plugs gapped 0.030, AJPTurbo tuned.

ZSHO

Right-Half shaft maybe! Check Trans fluid level ASAP!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Either the halfshaft as per the 2013 recall, or the strut mount/bearing are most likely.  Tie rods sometimes fail.  Far less frequently control arms/swaybar links.  So halfshaft/CV joint and strut mount would be my gotos.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sub_ETCS_ret

Thanks! I was thinking half shaft.

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: ZSHO on December 04, 2018, 07:12:18 PM
Right-Half shaft maybe! Check Trans fluid level ASAP!  Z
Are you talking PTU fluid or transmission?

SHOdded

Trans fluid level.  Does not seem like a PTU problem at all.  Much more likely to be a hub/bearing problem or halfshaft problem.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: SHOdded on December 04, 2018, 07:42:57 PM
Trans fluid level.  Does not seem like a PTU problem at all.  Much more likely to be a hub/bearing problem or halfshaft problem.
Appreciate it.

Why would it only make the noise when it's Cold? Seems like if it were a wheel bearing or half shaft it would make the noise all the time.

sub_ETCS_ret

Looking for a video or instructions on replacing the half shaft. Is it easy on this car?

ZSHO

How many miles on your SHO!
The Half Shaft recall is usually a visual inspection IIRC!
Here's a video that should give you some insight.  Z

https://youtu.be/BnbCig-wR1Q

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Fluids are thicker when cold and do not flow as easily.  This means less lubrication for components, and more likelihood of improper engagement or metal-to-metal contact.

Same goes for hard parts - due to expansion and contraction, gaps may go out of spec when cold, but be in spec when warmed up.

This is not even accounting for the presence of actual wear, which exacerbates the issues at hand.

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: ZSHO on December 04, 2018, 08:01:03 PM
How many miles on your SHO!
The Half Shaft recall is usually a visual inspection IIRC!
Here's a video that should give you some insight.  Z

https://youtu.be/BnbCig-wR1Q
Lol. I think you attached the wrong video.

So even though I have a 2015 you think the recall may apply.

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: SHOdded on December 04, 2018, 08:09:47 PM
Fluids are thicker when cold and do not flow as easily.  This means less lubrication for components, and more likelihood of improper engagement or metal-to-metal contact.

Same goes for hard parts - due to expansion and contraction, gaps may go out of spec when cold, but be in spec when warmed up.

This is not even accounting for the presence of actual wear, which exacerbates the issues at hand.
Gotcha! I was thinking external pieces and not the pieces going into the transmission.

SHOdded

It is the correct video in that it explains the reason we think the axle might be involved :)

Macgyver

Half shaft or hub bearing

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: SHOdded on December 04, 2018, 09:00:10 PM
It is the correct video in that it explains the reason we think the axle might be involved :)
Yesterday it was a video of the uniden radar detector. I believe it was corrected with the right video.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk