• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New engine swap, what else should I have done at 100K?

Started by waltong, December 03, 2018, 09:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltong

I am swapping an engine out of my '13 Performance Package interceptor.
It currently has 100K on the chassis.
The new engine going in has 11K.

What are some additional part swaps, or services that are:
1) Necessary to be done
2) Nice to be done because the engine will be out

Also, should I hang on to the turbos from the old engine and sell the rest of the engine as-is on eBay?

Gjkrisa

Here's some quick stuff I pulled

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

waltong

What are the 'wear parts' around the engine that would be must have replacements?

Considering the 100k chassis I'm using was a police cruiser with high idle hours almost doubling the drivetime, are we talking:
Water pump
Timing chain
Belts
Etc?

Is it easiest to flush the PTU with the engine out?

SHOdded

The new engine has only 11K on it, so I really don't see a need for parts replacement at this time.

I do see keeping a rigorous fluid change schedule to be advantageous for reliability in the coming years:  trans fluid, coolant, PTU/RDU fluids, etc.

Yes, the PTU is easier to flush with the engine/transmission out.  Only problem is getting the existing fluid warm enough to easily flush.  Hopefully not gunked up though, the first time you attempt the flush will tell you if you need to do more than a couple in quick succession or not.  I recommend cheaper full synthetic PTU fluid for the flushes, SuperTech should do just fine.  For the final fill you can use the full synthetic fluid brand of your choice.  My personal favs are Amsoil Severe Gear, Redline Lightweight Shockproof.  Many stalwarts are running Royal Purple and Mobil1 also IIRC.  Again, key to long life is the change interval more than anything.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

waltong

Spoke with the shop. Here is a list of additionals I am going to have done with the new engine only having 11k on it:
They will eyeball the gaskets to see if it would be good to swap now
Radiator hoses (Silicone or not?)
Water pump
Belts (What all do we have on these vehicles?)
PTU Flush

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|