• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

California smog at STAR station

Started by Dxlnt1, November 26, 2018, 11:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dxlnt1

Received my DMV renewal notice couple weeks ago. In seemingly a "non-smog" my car was "selected" for "random" test at special STAR station. These are different from smog only centers since apparently they read the ecu to check if car has ever had any programming mods done. Of course, Im guilty. The tech also crawled under car to inspect actual cats. I failed that too. (downpipes) Not sure but it seems as they only accept the factory cats. Just thought about that, so I will go recheck with tech. Anyway, watchout for it. Im wondering if all modifiable cars being sent to STAR stations in cali. Anyone else have experience with this non sense?

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

SM105K

Good old Kommiefornia.  They struck my last nerve, when I was forced into a roadside emissions check point.  Kinda like a DUI check point, but for emissions.  I failed in extravagant fashion. Intake, Cam, AFR Heads, Vortech SC, Longtubes, No cats, Magnaflow's, and a piggy back Anderson PMS in my 1988 Mustang 5.0. They even got sideways about my D.O.T. drag radials. They threatened to revoke my registration, if I didn't return the car back to stock emissions equipment.  I think my only saving grace was I that I will really cool with them.  Also thank God I didn't have the bright blue 10# nitrous bottle in the bracket that they found behind my driver seat...lol. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Quote from: sm105k on November 27, 2018, 10:16:16 AM
Good old Kommiefornia. 

I like that one lol....Tell me again why so many people live there? I actually feel bad for people when I see the limitations of tuning because of crappy fuel. And with the restrictions I don't know how any car enthusiast lives there. So the state destroyed their air quality and now they are over compensating and making everyone suffer?

There are many other beautiful scenic places in the country with great air quality and mod friendly to car people.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

lamrith

Quote from: AJP turbo on November 27, 2018, 04:42:05 PM
Good old Kommiefornia. 

I like that one lol....Tell me again why so many people live there? I actually feel bad for people when I see the limitations of tuning because of crappy fuel. And with the restrictions I don't know how any car enthusiast lives there. So the state destroyed their air quality and now they are over compensating and making everyone suffer?

There are many other beautiful scenic places in the country with great air quality and mod friendly to car people.
Very common term I hear about that state daily.  They honestly are way out of control and are that way about EVERYTHING, not just cars/smog.  They are not happy unless they are running your life, the most unfortunate part is that the public keep voting the same people into office and pushing for all the laws..  The second bad part is that those people are moving outward into other places and bringing the same ideas with them.  WA is moving that way on many fronts.  I know we just adopted some of CA emissions laws in the last few years, no SMOG, YET.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SoCalSHO

I was forced to a star smog station this year as well. I had switched my tune to stock, left in my airaid, but only had a cat back system. I had changed the tune approx 3 weeks before the test.
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

Dxlnt1

Quote from: SoCalSHO on November 27, 2018, 09:21:07 PM
I was forced to a star smog station this year as well. I had switched my tune to stock, left in my airaid, but only had a cat back system. I had changed the tune approx 3 weeks before the test.

I failed because the tech didnt see or believe the downpipes had cats on them. I showed him pics. He claim he didnt or couldnt see see anything. I think I just chose the wrong place for smog. Now my car may be flagged from this point forward. So now I gotta go to the shop and see if they have my old cats to reinstall.
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

Dxlnt1

Quote from: AJP turbo on November 27, 2018, 04:42:05 PM
Good old Kommiefornia. 

Yeah, the politics are definitely out of control. Yet weather wise, you cant beat it. Although I am planning my exit strategy to get the heck outta here.

Dxlnt1

It truly is a nightmare for tuning and performance enthusiast. Gas, smog regulations. BUT, if you lived here in the 70's, the air quality was HORRIBLE. So the laws helped in that regard. But they have gone waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy overboard. To the point a can of spray paint is regulated

SoCalSHO

Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

Dxlnt1

SoCalSHO

Well, if everything was legal, just go to a referee office.
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH