• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LMS 93 Octane vs AJPTurbo E30

Started by Jordan, November 21, 2018, 10:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan

World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

SHOdded

Cool!  Tho I expected a deer to pop outta the trees on the way back LOL.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Jordan

Quote from: SHOdded on November 21, 2018, 10:28:22 AM
Cool!  Tho I expected a deer to pop outta the trees on the way back LOL.

Yeah the strip is in the middle of nowhere! Rogersville, Missouri! Has a short shut down so fast cars can't really run there without really good brakes after the 1/4th

802SHO

Quote from: Jordan on November 21, 2018, 10:03:35 AM
Thought I'd share this video from the track outting I had earlier in the year against my buddy. This is the same day I ran my 11.98 and his best was a 12.56 this day, but this was the only run we had against each other. DA was 4300 and it was a STUPID hot day. I show the time slip at the end of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqRfW5glvHQ&t

His SHO is downpipes, tune, exhaust, plugs, drop in filter and not sure on the rest. This is the uneditted version of the run so you might wanna skip around a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GqRfW5glvHQ

Cool to see.  Hard to see the time slip afterward though.  This last spring I switched from Livernois to AJP and I have been extremely happy with the results.  Its crazy how much was left on the table with my Livernois Meth tune. 

It all started from installing a boost gauge.  I was seeing 11 psi.  I asked why I needed a 3bar map to read 11 psi and "Alas we wouldn't sell parts that don't work" Ethan @ Livernois.  Hmmmm ok?  Then I installed their Alky Control Meth kit.  Got a free updated 93 Octane Meth tune.  And.....11 psi boost.  Huh?  Asked again about why I was running stock boost...actually to my knowledge stock is 12psi.  I said if I wanted to run stock boost I would leave the car stock.  I was told to check my boost gauge connection..............crickets...........

Being a hardcore Livernois fan, with my windshield banner and all....I actually considered an alternative tuner or company.  Ended up sending Brad a pm and shortly after getting my SCT device we did a 1,2,3 WOT pull and a 3 WOT pull datalog with my Livernois 93 Meth tune.  I was commanding 11 psi boost.  No way!!!!  Who would have thought!? 

I never started my car, flashed back to stock with the Mycalibrator and loaded my first base 93 octane tune from Brad.  No methonal to start the system was completely shut off.  His base 93 octane tune commanded 14 psi boost and I couldn't believe it!  No Meth and it felt like I was spraying Meth ...I really think his base 93 tune for my car would walk away from my previous Livernois Meth tune. 

I still do like Livernois.  Hopefully it doesn't sound like a dis or anything.  Just my personal experience with both Livernois and then AJP. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

Jordan

Quote from: 802SHO on November 21, 2018, 12:54:16 PM

Cool to see.  Hard to see the time slip afterward though.  This last spring I switched from Livernois to AJP and I have been extremely happy with the results.  Its crazy how much was left on the table with my Livernois Meth tune. 

It all started from installing a boost gauge.  I was seeing 11 psi.  I asked why I needed a 3bar map to read 11 psi and "Alas we wouldn't sell parts that don't work" Ethan @ Livernois.  Hmmmm ok?  Then I installed their Alky Control Meth kit.  Got a free updated 93 Octane Meth tune.  And.....11 psi boost.  Huh?  Asked again about why I was running stock boost...actually to my knowledge stock is 12psi.  I said if I wanted to run stock boost I would leave the car stock.  I was told to check my boost gauge connection..............crickets...........

Being a hardcore Livernois fan, with my windshield banner and all....I actually considered an alternative tuner or company.  Ended up sending Brad a pm and shortly after getting my SCT device we did a 1,2,3 WOT pull and a 3 WOT pull datalog with my Livernois 93 Meth tune.  I was commanding 11 psi boost.  No way!!!!  Who would have thought!? 

I never started my car, flashed back to stock with the Mycalibrator and loaded my first base 93 octane tune from Brad.  No methonal to start the system was completely shut off.  His base 93 octane tune commanded 14 psi boost and I couldn't believe it!  No Meth and it felt like I was spraying Meth ...I really think his base 93 tune for my car would walk away from my previous Livernois Meth tune. 

I still do like Livernois.  Hopefully it doesn't sound like a dis or anything.  Just my personal experience with both Livernois and then AJP. 

I like Livernois they are a decent one size fits all "safe" tuner. Just don't expect to get the full experience. It's good for the people who don't want to do anything other than a tune on their cars, but that's IMO. He ran an 12.61 and I ran a 12.08 on this run. Immediately after we tore off the exhaust for the 11.98 glory run ha!

Jordan

Without going out into my garage and digging through my pile of timeslips here is a screen capture of it.

shoNoff

Dude bring a hunting rifle with you next time holy crap that's in the sticks. Do you have to wear an orange hat or anything when you race? All kidding aside great run Jordan your car simple amazes me. Thanks for sharing the video.

Hey Andrew nice to see a track actually let's you use a go pro lol
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

802SHO

Quote from: shoNoff on November 21, 2018, 06:44:44 PM
Dude bring a hunting rifle with you next time holy crap that's in the sticks. Do you have to wear an orange hat or anything when you race? All kidding aside great run Jordan your car simple amazes me. Thanks for sharing the video.

Lol I know what the heck!  I saw that and I almost asked Jordan if he had to bolt it to the car(since that's what our track says you must do) then I snapped out of it and realized of course he didn't bolt it to the car...that would be stupid!  Haha our track is odd thats for sure cuzzzzzz GoPros have no problem with those 3M sticky pads and no one bolts them to their cars!  Jeez...why cant they just say no GoPros instead!??? 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.

Jordan

Quote from: 802SHO on November 21, 2018, 07:57:54 PM

Lol I know what the heck!  I saw that and I almost asked Jordan if he had to bolt it to the car(since that's what our track says you must do) then I snapped out of it and realized of course he didn't bolt it to the car...that would be stupid!  Haha our track is odd thats for sure cuzzzzzz GoPros have no problem with those 3M sticky pads and no one bolts them to their cars!  Jeez...why cant they just say no GoPros instead!??? 

Ha! Thanks ShoNoff! Also never had an issue at the 2 strips I have been at! Must think I won't be going quick enough for it to even matter lol

shoNoff

Quote from: Jordan on November 21, 2018, 10:05:52 PM
Quote from: 802SHO on November 21, 2018, 07:57:54 PM

Ha! Thanks ShoNoff! Also never had an issue at the 2 strips I have been at! Must think I won't be going quick enough for it to even matter lol

Seriously man invest in one of these if you go back there. I'd hate to see a fellow SHO get hit with a stray hunters bullet.

Jordan

Bahaha I love it. Nothing like rural Missouri huh?

shoNoff

And this all coming from a guy that lives in the sticks of New Hampshire lol.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Funny... I had a similar experience with LMS... I believe the post is around here somewhere... was running LMS 93 4+x Race... paid for the alky kit asked several times if there was a solid tune from them that made the cost worth it specifically for Methanol .. was then told the 4+x race tune was best tune available (huh? then why did I pay extra for an alky kit through LMS if they don't offer a tune to take advantage of it?!) long story short... LMS ended up sending me an updated tune later that night apologizing for the confusion...

HOWEVER... that being said.. my tune demanded 186.25 kpa which is 12.3psi of boost... and I was running 12.4's consistently at the track with it. It was smooth from launch to finish..

Couple things to remember about LMS..

1: Their alky meth tunes do not make the car the reliant on meth for safety reasons. If you talk to anyone over there worth their salt.. they will tell you the BIGGEST reason for their offering of the alky meth solution is to offset the lack of available fuel and to the cool the charge which helps with heat soak.

2: LMS tunes are designed for safety first and all year round performance. Could they jack up the boost/spark and create more power? Sure, but the impact to reliability and drive ability all year round is a concern.

Can you get a custom tune from an SCT vendor that gets more out of the car than LMS does with their tune, absolutely. Brads meth tune on my 2010 was wicked fast.. I was producing power to the point where the drive train flat out COULD NOT handle getting it reliability to the ground (Search the forum for my drag strip runs... didn't matter what tire, psi, etc.. getting the power to ground was painful)... I had similar results with my Gearhead meth tune although I never got to run it at the track. Unleashed is the same... etc etc.. but one thing they have in common with meth tunes is that the car becomes RELIANT on meth at those power levels. Meaning if something in the meth system fails.. you better hope that your ECU can respond fast enough to save the motor. I know Brad and Matt Robinson build in a ton a safety measures for the meth tune in the event that happens, but nothing is guaranteed.

That isn't a knock on those tuners by any far stretch, its more of a "What are your goals with the vehicle".. My 2010 ran like a raped ape until the motor blew up, but that was a risk I was willing to take.

When talking to the the LMS guys, its important to really discuss your goal and ask the right questions. I have found that they wont volunteer information unless you ask specifically.  Asking "Will the Alky Meth kit really make a difference in power" is an open ended question.. yes it will.. but to what extent?

On a side note: While boost and spark generate power, there are more pieces to the puzzle.. with these cars its not all about boost and spark.. The last time I ran at MIR with Brads meth tune vs LMS meth tune they ran IDENTICAL times... 12.4's.. Brads tune had a hell of a lot more power, but I wasn't able to effectively use it.

802SHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on November 23, 2018, 08:12:27 AM
Funny... I had a similar experience with LMS... I believe the post is around here somewhere... was running LMS 93 4+x Race... paid for the alky kit asked several times if there was a solid tune from them that made the cost worth it specifically for Methanol .. was then told the 4+x race tune was best tune available (huh? then why did I pay extra for an alky kit through LMS if they don't offer a tune to take advantage of it?!) long story short... LMS ended up sending me an updated tune later that night apologizing for the confusion...

HOWEVER... that being said.. my tune demanded 186.25 kpa which is 12.3psi of boost... and I was running 12.4's consistently at the track with it. It was smooth from launch to finish..

Couple things to remember about LMS..

1: Their alky meth tunes do not make the car the reliant on meth for safety reasons. If you talk to anyone over there worth their salt.. they will tell you the BIGGEST reason for their offering of the alky meth solution is to offset the lack of available fuel and to the cool the charge which helps with heat soak.

2: LMS tunes are designed for safety first and all year round performance. Could they jack up the boost/spark and create more power? Sure, but the impact to reliability and drive ability all year round is a concern.

Can you get a custom tune from an SCT vendor that gets more out of the car than LMS does with their tune, absolutely. Brads meth tune on my 2010 was wicked fast.. I was producing power to the point where the drive train flat out COULD NOT handle getting it reliability to the ground (Search the forum for my drag strip runs... didn't matter what tire, psi, etc.. getting the power to ground was painful)... I had similar results with my Gearhead meth tune although I never got to run it at the track. Unleashed is the same... etc etc.. but one thing they have in common with meth tunes is that the car becomes RELIANT on meth at those power levels. Meaning if something in the meth system fails.. you better hope that your ECU can respond fast enough to save the motor. I know Brad and Matt Robinson build in a ton a safety measures for the meth tune in the event that happens, but nothing is guaranteed.

That isn't a knock on those tuners by any far stretch, its more of a "What are your goals with the vehicle".. My 2010 ran like a raped ape until the motor blew up, but that was a risk I was willing to take.

When talking to the the LMS guys, its important to really discuss your goal and ask the right questions. I have found that they wont volunteer information unless you ask specifically.  Asking "Will the Alky Meth kit really make a difference in power" is an open ended question.. yes it will.. but to what extent?

On a side note: While boost and spark generate power, there are more pieces to the puzzle.. with these cars its not all about boost and spark.. The last time I ran at MIR with Brads meth tune vs LMS meth tune they ran IDENTICAL times... 12.4's.. Brads tune had a hell of a lot more power, but I wasn't able to effectively use it.

I do remember reading your posts about their meth tune and finding you could run their meth tune without even spraying Meth and be ok. 

I agree with you.  I definitely agree you need to talk to the right person over there, and I'm not saying Ethan isnt pleasant to talk to and friendly, its just as a consumer when you ask a specific question and you get a vague defensive sounding answer it feels less than professional.  I've often thought to myself....why don't people generally just say I don't know?  I'm sorry I don't have much expertise with the specific car and question..I will have so and so follow up with you...or say I don't know.  Too often people feel they need to give some sort of explanation and guess not knowing if what theyre saying is true.  I'll take an educated guess...but don't tell me we don't sell stuff that doesnt work?...please say I dont know.  Hahahahaha

By the seat of my pants and watching my speedometer climb I was very happy with my tunes.  I know its also not just about boost but 11psi?  That was 93 stage 4x with plugs, t stat, intake and downpipes.  Then with Meth..boost didnt change. 

My goal isnt to blow my car up, but 11psi was too low...with all my mods I wanted to push the car a bit, and yes more than 11psi.  I tried to get another tune with some more boost but they said I should check my connection and most customers said they were 13-14 with same tune.  And that brought up another aspect...a one size fits all tune.  Of course that doesn't affect each car the same and of course it must be much more on the safe side. 

For my goals I would need a custom Meth tune in house.  Drive and make an entire weekend out of traveling to Michigan.  Pay $300 or so for a custom dyno tune...very cool but not very cost effective. 

So yes theyre a great company with a great reputation.  Clearly if I was looking to get an engine built...would be knocking on their door. 

I just needed more = AJP = 11 second runs lol!