• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hard Shifts during WOT pulls.

Started by Markboni55, November 20, 2018, 08:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markboni55

Morning Guys, Fairly new member but have been lurking in the shadows. Recently purchased a 13 MKS EcoBoost and the mod bug bit. I have the following mods thus far:
    [Mods]
    • 3 Bar Map Sensor
    • PPE High Flow Cats
    • Air Raid Intake
    • 170* Thermo
    • Stage Colder Plugss NGK 6510
    • Unleashed Tune
    Been reading a lot of post and threads and cant seem to pinpoint my exact situation or havent found anyone who commented with a similar issue. Shifts seem harsh only during WOT pulls. Either from a deadstop or 70mph wot pull. The car reacts if as if it was a manual and someone didnt know how to shift gears properly.
    (Coming from an 03 Cobra Scene I've my missed my share of gears in the past lol)
    The vehicle will seem to rock forward & back until it engages and even when it does its not a smooth pull thru the powerband. Normal driving or spirited shifts just fine.

Following things I have checked so far:
    - Pulled Plugs and verified correct gap.
    - Checked the 3 Bar Sensor and it is recording higher PSI (I assume its working)
    - Verified the Boost line/ Hose is connected and secured to the charge pipe.

Things that I have yet to do:
    - Replace the PTU oil. Car has 55k on the clock and I am sure it was never done.
    - Run a pint heavy on the ATF based on previous posts I've read.

With everyone's experience here what are the chanced the PTU is the culprit here? It is felt the most during a 1-2 pull or from a dead-stop but still present during the higher mph pulls but not as harsh.

Thanks for everyone's input and knowledge. Look forward to be apart of the EcoBoost fam!

SHOdded

Welcome!

Do not run a pint, but a quarter pint heavy on the ATF.  A pint is way too much.  Fully replace the old fluid.  Ford way overstates fluid life, especially for vehicles that see "action".  Some even change fluid after every heavy track day.

Do the BOVs seem to be performing properly?  I would pull them and verify the orange seals are intact.  Also that no hoses have popped off the boost solenoid.  Check intercooler for buildup.  Check throttle body to make sure it is clean and not oil soaked.

Ask for shift pressures to be lowered by Torrie.

Info on tires?  Brand, mileage on them, pressures you run, etc.?  Any warnings come on the dash?  Any codes set in the PCM?  Was your MKX checked for passenger side axle issues, IDK if it qualified under the recall.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Markboni55

Thanks for the welcome & additional information.  I will be checking the extra components mentioned during thanksgiving weekend and performing a PTU flush / refill.

Of course there are no DTC codes.
Tires are the OEM Michelin's with good thread life remaining running about 35psi all around.
How many hoses are there to the boost solenoid? I've only checked the one to the charge pipe so far but in general checking all the lines/hoses I didn't see anything loose.

- DO MKS vehicles have passenger side axle issues or recalls? Was not familiar with it. After purchasing the vehicle I've only done basic maintenance thus far. Replaced all stabilizer links & tie-rods ends. Also replaced lower control arm bushings and had an alignment done.

Things to verify:
- Run "Quarter Pint" heavy on ATF
- Flush PTU & Refill
- Shift Pressure was lowered with a new file already provided. Issue still present but in my mind maybe not as harsh. All feels the same now lol.
- Check BOV seals. (Any way to know without pulling them? By sound?)
- Check Throttle Body
- Check Intercooler for build up.

Thanks for such a quick response and all the extra information. Looks like I got some work cut out this thanksgiving weekend!

SHOdded

You can check out the TSBs and recalls etc for your MKS here
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.0.html

Good to peruse thru the 2010-12 TSBs as well for ideas
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,496.0.html

There are three hoses coming off the solenoid atop the intake manifold, and they are not clamped down from factory.  Advisable to add clamps to them.  See the nuisance that can create in this video

IIRC the OEM Michelins are meh when it comes to performance driving.  You should seriously consider upgrading/changing them out.  Tires are probably the single biggest factor that can make or break your joyride, and your only contact with the road.  There are some good options from Michelin, Continental, General, etc.  If summer tires work for your location, the Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500s seem to be doing well.  I think Coopers have been used successfully as well.  A search of the forum (see the SEARCH ALL OF EBPF link) will give you some ideas :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StinkinLinkin13

I had the same or very similar issue. What I believe to be the issue was overheating trans fluid. I connected my tuner and found over temp code later on. Ever since I bypassed my trans tstat I've no longer had the issue...Now in winter I installed a cooler temp tstat to keep tranny from running too cool.

I was having brutal shifting at wot mostly when launching and then later noticed these issues. This link is more of a follow up to issues I had as well during wot long top end higway runs...  I used torque pro to monitor my trans temp. Worth a shot.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,9234.0.html
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

Markboni55

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on November 20, 2018, 11:04:48 AM
I had the same or very similar issue. What I believe to be the issue was overheating trans fluid. I connected my tuner and found over temp code later on. Ever since I bypassed my trans tstat I've no longer had the issue...Now in winter I installed a cooler temp tstat to keep tranny from running too cool.

I was having brutal shifting at wot mostly when launching and then later noticed these issues. This link is more of a follow up to issues I had as well during wot long top end higway runs...  I used torque pro to monitor my trans temp. Worth a shot.

Thanks for the post good info! Do you remember the physical trait the car would feel like when shifting? Mine seems like a missed gear (car rocks forward & back very aggressively then engages) Did you have a similar experience? Mine has not gone into limp mode with several attempts of WOT at various mphs. I will def look into seeing what my Trans temps are after seeing yours. Yikes!

SM105K

Quote from: Markboni55 on November 20, 2018, 11:16:07 AM

Thanks for the post good info! Do you remember the physical trait the car would feel like when shifting? Mine seems like a missed gear (car rocks forward & back very aggressively then engages) Did you have a similar experience? Mine has not gone into limp mode with several attempts of WOT at various mphs. I will def look into seeing what my Trans temps are after seeing yours. Yikes!

I was having what I thought was wheel hop on hard launches.  Turned out to be transmission shudder.  I am in the process of doing a flush. (5 quarts out, 5 quarts in x 5 times)  After I dropped the first 5 quarts my trans has run cooler, and my shudder is completely gone.  Simple 40 dollar fix for me. Three more flushes to go.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Markboni55

Quote from: sm105k on November 20, 2018, 11:43:53 AM
Quote from: Markboni55 on November 20, 2018, 11:16:07 AM

I was having what I thought was wheel hop on hard launches.  Turned out to be transmission shudder.  I am in the process of doing a flush. (5 quarts out, 5 quarts in x 5 times)  After I dropped the first 5 quarts my trans has run cooler, and my shudder is completely gone.  Simple 40 dollar fix for me. Three more flushes to go.

When I do the PTU flush I might as well replace the trans oil while at it. Thanks for the tip!

Agentlongwood

Add another Lincoln to the list of weird shift behavior, lol.  I do NOT think mine is the same issue, but possibly related.  My issue is that the shift from 1st to 2nd is occasionally way too harsh.  It only affects the 1-2 shift.  All others are fine.  It only happens from a launch or sometimes if I accelerate hard out of a corner (Like pulling onto a main road.)  It's not a prolonged shift, it's pretty quick, but it kind of shakes the car.  You can hear it, and feel it all through the car.  I asked Brad to soften up the shift and he took care of it.  I also ran a little extra ATF, and it's very rare that it happens now.

Fun facts: When Brad looked at my logs, it didn't appear there was anything catastrophic.  He said it looked like it was shifting faster than it should, and he did some of that AJP sorcery which seems to have fixed it for the most part.  Since it happens on hard launches and around corners, I do believe that g-forces are a culprit.  From the ATF being pushed to the back or to the side of the transmission.  I'm tempted to just keep adding fluid till the problem disappears completely, lol.  But I don't want to over fill too much.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

Markboni55

Quote from: Agentlongwood on November 20, 2018, 02:06:07 PM
Add another Lincoln to the list of weird shift behavior, lol.  I do NOT think mine is the same issue, but possibly related.  My issue is that the shift from 1st to 2nd is occasionally way too harsh.  It only affects the 1-2 shift.  All others are fine.  It only happens from a launch or sometimes if I accelerate hard out of a corner (Like pulling onto a main road.)  It's not a prolonged shift, it's pretty quick, but it kind of shakes the car.  You can hear it, and feel it all through the car.  I asked Brad to soften up the shift and he took care of it.  I also ran a little extra ATF, and it's very rare that it happens now.

Fun facts: When Brad looked at my logs, it didn't appear there was anything catastrophic.  He said it looked like it was shifting faster than it should, and he did some of that AJP sorcery which seems to have fixed it for the most part.  Since it happens on hard launches and around corners, I do believe that g-forces are a culprit.  From the ATF being pushed to the back or to the side of the transmission.  I'm tempted to just keep adding fluid till the problem disappears completely, lol.  But I don't want to over fill too much.

Thanks for the share. Its def a weird feeling. It isnt "shudder" per say but more like you rev up fast lose power (nose dive) and re-engage then the shudder happens lol. Def will be doing both PTU & Trans this weekend! Thanks all for chiming in I hope this resolves the issue cause its definitely not fun being OCD about what could be wrong  :banghead:

Agentlongwood

No prob man.  I wanted to throw my input into the thread for reference.  I don't get the nose dive at all, so it's probably not the same issue... but who knows.  Just letting you know you aren't alone, lol.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

4/SHO

Quote from: Markboni55 on November 20, 2018, 08:28:34 AM
    Morning Guys, Fairly new member but have been lurking in the shadows. Recently purchased a 13 MKS EcoBoost and the mod bug bit. I have the following mods thus far:
    [Mods]
    • 3 Bar Map Sensor
    • PPE High Flow Cats
    • Air Raid Intake
    • 170* Thermo
    • Stage Colder Plugss NGK 6510
    • Unleashed Tune
    Been reading a lot of post and threads and cant seem to pinpoint my exact situation or havent found anyone who commented with a similar issue. Shifts seem harsh only during WOT pulls. Either from a deadstop or 70mph wot pull.

Turn off traction control. I had same issue after my tune freaked me out. It's the throttle cutting off and back on...
2011 SHO with a 2015 SHO engine. She started out as the 2011 SEMA SHO by Rick Bottom Designs. Which had the following-  H&R lowering springs, Baer Extreme brakes, 22 in axiom rims,  Razzi body kit, Corsa performance exhaust,  Airaid cold air intake,  no weeds exhaust diverted, and a few other items. I then took her to National Speed of Wilmington NC where I had bigger ATP turbos, firestorm high pressure fuel pump, catless downpipes, 170 Tstat, 3bar MAP, tial BOV,  EPP pipes,  colder spark plugs, and  HP tune.