• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Firehawk Indy 500 question

Started by Agentlongwood, November 13, 2018, 08:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

So I was about to pull the trigger on a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s for my car.  I noticed that they are rated "A" for traction, while almost all the other tires I looked at are rated "AA".   I've heard nothing but good things about this tire on here, but this gives me pause.  The mediocre tires my car came with even managed an "AA" rating, and they are Michelin MXM4 all seasons.  A summer tire losing to an all season in wet braking bad enough... but the Firehawks are supposed to be high performance summer tires, while the MXM4s are not even a performance all season.  Just a "grand touring all season" tire.  Are the Firehawks really that bad in wet braking?  (The test that determines the traction rating)  To make matters a bit more infuriating, the "customer survey" section on tire rack for these tires shows that customers rated them the opposite.  They rated the Firehawks better at wet traction than the MXM4...  Each tire has several hundred surveys so, are people just making it up?  lol.  Any help would be appreciated.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

nickstewartroc

Not sure on the technical side of things with the A vs AA, but I recently put a set on my dad's 2010 Fusion Sport and love em! Seem to do great in the Florida rain and stick like nobody's business
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

Agentlongwood

Good to hear some firsthand experience.  As for the technical side of things, I believe the "traction rating" is determined strictly by straight line braking on a wet surface.  So handling and acceleration are not factored in.  Just braking in the wet, while going straight.

On a side note, are they quiet?

nickstewartroc

Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

ZSHO

www.discounttiredirect.com does offer Specs on Wet and Dry stopping distance rating for comparison on most tires.  Z

The MICHELIN MXV4 have a Traction rating of A AFAIK!

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-primacy-mxv4/p/35379

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-pilot-super-sport/p/34223

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Agentlongwood

That's a different tire, Z.  The MXV4 has a rating of A.  The MXM4 has a rating of AA.  I checked out the ratings and I think discount tire just uses customer reviews for stopping distance instead of actually testing.  I could be wrong though, I just didn't see it.