• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Timing system changes

Started by SHOdded, October 31, 2018, 02:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Not technically a technical article, but needs to be documented.  Will be updated as research is ongoing :)

2010+ Taurus SHO Primary Timing Chain

Production Date: 02/2011-
Ford Part No.: AT4Z-6268-B
Belt - Timing Primary

Replaced By   AT4Z-6268-C

=============

Production Date: 06/2009-02/2011
Ford Part No.: 7T4Z-6268-A
Chain - Timing Primary

=============

Production Date: 06/2009-
Ford Part No.: 7T4Z-6268-CA
Chain - Timing Secondary

Require Quantity   2
Package Quantity   1

===============
Camshaft Position Sensor aka Phaser

Passenger Side
Production Date: 08/2010-
Ford Part No.: BA5Z-6A257-C
Sensor - Camshaft Position Intake , RH

Replaced By   BA5Z-6A257-E

Driver Side
Production Date: 08/2010-
Ford Part No.: BA5Z-6A257-D
Sensor - Camshaft Position Intake , LH

================

Driver Side
Production Date: 06/2009-05/2010
Ford Part No.: 7T4Z-6A257-A
Sprocket - Camshaft
Replaced By   7T4Z-6A257-B

Passenger Side
Production Date: 06/2009-05/2010
Ford Part No.: 8T4Z-6A257-A
Sensor - Camshaft Position
Replaced By   8T4Z-6A257-B

Why the gap in the phaser part info, no idea.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

Differences between the timing systems as a result of the updates are listed in the attached PDF downloaded (along with images) from the following site:
https://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16661

1st generation chain:

2nd generation chain:

Pics from the referenced article comparing old Gen 1 to new Gen 2 primary timing chain:

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

While the chain design is somewhat different, is based on principles similar to the Bosch HY-VO chain product, purported to be quieter and more efficient.  Reliability stats are not yet available.

https://www.borgwarner.com/newsroom/press-releases/2017/02/22/borgwarners-hy-vo-chains-transfer-torque-for-the-chevrolet-volt-and-malibu-hybrid
http://www.car-engineer.com/hy-vo-chain-drives-transfer-cases-toyota-lexus/

ZSHO

Hmm Interesting.. Thanks for the update. Z   :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Hmmm...

I can tell you this, since we had the entire timing set done on the Lincoln, KR is a rarity. I would have thought my sensor was broken if it wasn't happily adding.

For the 1st couple of months after we got it back, never saw more than .09. Yes, that is correct. Two months in I finally got a +3 on an extended logging/hunting session.

Now i have to look and see if i got the updated parts.

J-Will

"Timing system" is right that's a lot of parts that need replaced

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

SHOdded

You would be surprised how hard a time I have convincing people of that, LOL.  Unfortunately, there are a LOT of moving parts to this system, and if just one goes wrong, it casts doubt on the rest of them.